U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 11:18 AM

114 posts, read 341,606 times

Advertisements

When you leave New York, leave all your Liberal B.S. there, don't bring it here. Other than that, come on down!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 4,426 times
We are fairly recent to Corpus by way of Nebraska.

It's ok. I think we would have been happier in Portland because we have children in school.

That said, we are adjusting. I think gas prices are decent. Utilities except electric are through the city, which had been nice and fairly priced. We were fortunate to sign a low cost contact for electric for a year at $.08 per kw hour, which is cheap at CPI. Call around to check prices. Cable and internet is based on your neighborhood. We live near Saratoga and Kostoryz and only have Time Warner as an option, unless you prefer satellite.

Southside seems to be a nice part of town. Nothing exciting.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:23 PM

3,668 posts, read 5,846,289 times
Why does it seem the CC infrastructure is behind in the times?

Old 07-13-2014, 10:42 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,535,005 times
I haven't lived here very long but it seems that there is an old boy network that tends to stifle progress. I have noticed inthe news some problems with the people in local government, on a level that I have not seen in other small cities. The ones they have can't ever agree on anything so it just falls apart. For instance, I've heard that redevelopment districts downtown have come and gone more times than the locals can count. The economy seems to be driven by a transient population of tourism, military, and students. Those residents are not interested in long term improvements. The residents who have been here forever are used to the way things are.

I also think there's something to be said for "island time." It is so blasted hot and humid here most of the year that no one has the mental energy or physical resources to get much done. This is my first full summer here and it's been an eye opener. We keep our own schedule where I work and pretty much no one comes in to work at 8. They straggle in mid morning and are gone by mid-afternoon. The other half will come in mid-afternoon and work until evening. Most people start to revive from the heat when it cools down in the evening and lots of co-workers start their socializing around 9-10pm, enjoying the cool evening breeze and ability to enjoy the beaches without heat stroke. During CC winter months the productivity around the office skyrockets, I see people come in early in the morning and work longer days, and ideas flow like a fountain.

I would also say that there is a very conservative feel here. If you want better roads they are not going to raise taxes. You have to take care of yourself since government is not inclined to do it for you. Schools tend to be much the same. There are state standards for the public schools, but achievement is not great. There are tons of private schools but I don't have a feel yet for the achievement there. The universities are lacking both academically and financially. Standards are very low. TAMUCC might be known in the system as the place borderline students go to see if they can cut it past high school. Few students attend classes regularly and little is expected of them compared to other schools where I've been.

The police and fire department presence is more reactive than proactive. They put out fires and clean up messes. But I haven't seen much in the way of public education or prevention. I believe that would be perceived as telling people how to run their lives. The medical community appears to have quite a presence here. But I'm beginning to believe that the vast number of hospitals (compared to a small population) here is directly related to lack of overall preventative healthcare. Not one of my colleagues uses their insurance for any preventative care. No one has seen a doctor in years so things like high blood pressure and diabetes goes unnoticed until you are in the ER. My local co-workers actually laughed when I asked for recommendations for a dentist and eye doctor for my annual exams. And we have insurance that covers it. All insurance must cover preventative care now. But that's govennment mandated and seems to be frowned upon here. No, we don't NEED wellness visits, colonoscopies, or mammograms. But it's good to know if you have high blood pressure or cancer. In the end it's cheaper to treat it than to go to the ER for it.

The one thing that baffles me is HEB. How does a grocery chain keep out all of the competition state-wide? Is there a link to state government here? It boils down to dollars and cents for those who live here. If they don't have it then you don't need it. I wanted a pork shoulder roast a few weeks ago. Didn't see it so asked the meat guy. Nope, don't have any and don't know when we'll get any. I guess I don't need it then. Happened to be in Kingsville the following week, stopped into HEB for something cold to drink, and they had pork shoulder roasts...and a large, clean, beautiful store compared to the ones in CC. The selection was awesome. Forget those tiny peaches I bought last week in CC. The ones in Kingsville were far superior in quality and size. Not being from these parts, I'm guessing there's real money in Kingsville? How did Walmart and Target break into the market here, especially with their stores that sell groceries? The price of some things at HEB is way out of line since there is no competition. I can get a bag of frozen fruit (breakfast smoothie freak) anywhere else I've lived for about $1-2/16 oz. The price is double here (at least in CC, didn't look in Kingsville) and the selection is basically zero. Yes, I noticed the fresh fruit. But when you travel on a moments notice, frozen works out better since it doesn't get moldy while I'm away. It is cheaper with a larger selection at Walmart, but I have a problem with buying things at Walmart and would not choose to buy my food there. But then I've noticed that most of my neighbors don't cook. They pretty much exist on prepared foods from restaurants, Stripes, and HEB. I'm constantly told that the breakfast burrito at Stripes is much like my homemade one so why do I bother to cook, and the roasted chicken at HEB is only $3 more than the raw one. Besides, the side salad at HEB is only an additional $3, so for $10 you've got yourself a meal.

Utilities are deregulated here so it's up to the consumer to sift them out. I'm glad I didn't choose AEP because all I hear about them on the news is the latest power outage. I'm not sure how water governance works here because I get billed with my rent for that. I heard that we now have stage 2 watering restrictions, effective immediately, but I don't see anyone reducing their lawn watering that I was told was mandatory. Are lawns really going to go brown or are the restrictions for window dressing? I can speak from the field I work in that you are not going to have fresh water rivers (as you know them now) or fresh water game fish for much longer if runaway development and lack of regulation continues. But that would require government involvement and infrastructure, that costs taxpayers money.

From where I stand the locals are content with the way things are and do not want to pay more for anything. So when in Rome, do as the Romans do is my stance. Except for housing (and frozen fruit!), the cost of living here is pretty low.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:44 PM

553 posts, read 867,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
I haven't lived here very long but it seems that there is an old boy network that tends to stifle progress. I have noticed inthe news some problems with the people in local government, on a level that I have not seen in other small cities. The ones they have can't ever agree on anything so it just falls apart. For instance, I've heard that redevelopment districts downtown have come and gone more times than the locals can count. The economy seems to be driven by a transient population of tourism, military, and students. Those residents are not interested in long term improvements. The residents who have been here forever are used to the way things are.

I also think there's something to be said for "island time." It is so blasted hot and humid here most of the year that no one has the mental energy or physical resources to get much done. This is my first full summer here and it's been an eye opener. We keep our own schedule where I work and pretty much no one comes in to work at 8. They straggle in mid morning and are gone by mid-afternoon. The other half will come in mid-afternoon and work until evening. Most people start to revive from the heat when it cools down in the evening and lots of co-workers start their socializing around 9-10pm, enjoying the cool evening breeze and ability to enjoy the beaches without heat stroke. During CC winter months the productivity around the office skyrockets, I see people come in early in the morning and work longer days, and ideas flow like a fountain.

I would also say that there is a very conservative feel here. If you want better roads they are not going to raise taxes. You have to take care of yourself since government is not inclined to do it for you. Schools tend to be much the same. There are state standards for the public schools, but achievement is not great. There are tons of private schools but I don't have a feel yet for the achievement there. The universities are lacking both academically and financially. Standards are very low. TAMUCC might be known in the system as the place borderline students go to see if they can cut it past high school. Few students attend classes regularly and little is expected of them compared to other schools where I've been.

The police and fire department presence is more reactive than proactive. They put out fires and clean up messes. But I haven't seen much in the way of public education or prevention. I believe that would be perceived as telling people how to run their lives. The medical community appears to have quite a presence here. But I'm beginning to believe that the vast number of hospitals (compared to a small population) here is directly related to lack of overall preventative healthcare. Not one of my colleagues uses their insurance for any preventative care. No one has seen a doctor in years so things like high blood pressure and diabetes goes unnoticed until you are in the ER. My local co-workers actually laughed when I asked for recommendations for a dentist and eye doctor for my annual exams. And we have insurance that covers it. All insurance must cover preventative care now. But that's govennment mandated and seems to be frowned upon here. No, we don't NEED wellness visits, colonoscopies, or mammograms. But it's good to know if you have high blood pressure or cancer. In the end it's cheaper to treat it than to go to the ER for it.

The one thing that baffles me is HEB. How does a grocery chain keep out all of the competition state-wide? Is there a link to state government here? It boils down to dollars and cents for those who live here. If they don't have it then you don't need it. I wanted a pork shoulder roast a few weeks ago. Didn't see it so asked the meat guy. Nope, don't have any and don't know when we'll get any. I guess I don't need it then. Happened to be in Kingsville the following week, stopped into HEB for something cold to drink, and they had pork shoulder roasts...and a large, clean, beautiful store compared to the ones in CC. The selection was awesome. Forget those tiny peaches I bought last week in CC. The ones in Kingsville were far superior in quality and size. Not being from these parts, I'm guessing there's real money in Kingsville? How did Walmart and Target break into the market here, especially with their stores that sell groceries? The price of some things at HEB is way out of line since there is no competition. I can get a bag of frozen fruit (breakfast smoothie freak) anywhere else I've lived for about $1-2/16 oz. The price is double here (at least in CC, didn't look in Kingsville) and the selection is basically zero. Yes, I noticed the fresh fruit. But when you travel on a moments notice, frozen works out better since it doesn't get moldy while I'm away. It is cheaper with a larger selection at Walmart, but I have a problem with buying things at Walmart and would not choose to buy my food there. But then I've noticed that most of my neighbors don't cook. They pretty much exist on prepared foods from restaurants, Stripes, and HEB. I'm constantly told that the breakfast burrito at Stripes is much like my homemade one so why do I bother to cook, and the roasted chicken at HEB is only $3 more than the raw one. Besides, the side salad at HEB is only an additional $3, so for $10 you've got yourself a meal.

Utilities are deregulated here so it's up to the consumer to sift them out. I'm glad I didn't choose AEP because all I hear about them on the news is the latest power outage. I'm not sure how water governance works here because I get billed with my rent for that. I heard that we now have stage 2 watering restrictions, effective immediately, but I don't see anyone reducing their lawn watering that I was told was mandatory. Are lawns really going to go brown or are the restrictions for window dressing? I can speak from the field I work in that you are not going to have fresh water rivers (as you know them now) or fresh water game fish for much longer if runaway development and lack of regulation continues. But that would require government involvement and infrastructure, that costs taxpayers money.

From where I stand the locals are content with the way things are and do not want to pay more for anything. So when in Rome, do as the Romans do is my stance. Except for housing (and frozen fruit!), the cost of living here is pretty low.
Utsci, you have rounded-up all the dogs and cats, excellent post!

Btw, the new Corpus Christi City budget is due the 31th. of this month. It will be interesting comparing the past several years budgets and "cuts".

Old 07-13-2014, 07:51 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,802,431 times
Ignore Najran- not everyone in our area is ignorant.

If you want less crime - you might try Ignleside or Rockport. Rockport is about a 25 min commute, Ingleside a bit less. Like any other city there are computer and tech jobs although we aren't a big research area.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Ignore Najran- not everyone in our area is ignorant.

If you want less crime - you might try Ignleside or Rockport. Rockport is about a 25 min commute, Ingleside a bit less. Like any other city there are computer and tech jobs although we aren't a big research area.
Interesting old 1996 story about Mark Crawford, twice mayor and aspiring state senator of Ingleside, TX.

Mark Crawford Trial: 1999 - Evidence Of A Body, Suppressed Evidence And Conflicting Testimony, Enter The Feds - Business, Mayor, Conspiracy, and Federal - JRank Articles

Corpus Christi Caller Times Caller.com - Crawford guilty of murder

In general I agree, Ingleside has less random crime than CC.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:21 PM

47 posts, read 135,365 times
There are waaaaaaay more jobs in Corpus Christi Tx than in Ny. I will never leave NY because of the hellish South Texas summers.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_Detective View Post
There are waaaaaaay more jobs in Corpus Christi Tx than in Ny. I will never leave NY because of the hellish South Texas summers.
Had no idea you lived in NY now! I lived there, NYC, when I was in grad school (Jyard) and loved it as a young man. Had a part-time job at the then newly opened South Street Seaport Museum. Today being July 14, reminds me of July 14, 1977, the second day of the famous city wide "Blackout." Manhattan can be just as miserably hot, imo, as CC and cold as hell in winter BUT there is lots to see and do.

I had bought a used car from a friend at an embassy in D.C. with diplomatic license plates. I didn't bother with changing registration. I papered my entire bathroom with NYC parking tickets At that time the NYPD couldn't touch diplomatic cars for parking tickets. The last time I was in the City a private parking space was about $1200.00 a month. My last summer there I had a gig in Corning, NY, on the Finger Lakes . . .the wine district and much cooler than the City. Much to my surprise Corning had the wonderful Rockwell Museum of Western Art.

I left NYC for Salvador Bahia, Brazil but sidetracked in CC due to Allen and the great fishing after the hurricane. Shortly after arriving I went to Liquid Town looking for a better wine than what HEB stocked. I'll never forget the salesman told me "this is beer drinking country." The closest place to buy the red sparkling burgundy I wanted was Fort Worth.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:11 AM

334 posts, read 500,702 times
Very interesting thread and replies! Any more opinions regarding crime and weather/fleas? I lived in a place where everything outside would be stolen, even flowers in flower pots, and I don't want that again - but I really want to seaside -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi