U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 09:31 PM

5 posts, read 8,466 times

Advertisements

Looking at a job opening for me. Want to move back to Texas after having lived in the hell that is the northeast. I used to live in Houston, and possible have an opening to travel. Pay and medical benefits are pretty close... except Texas doesn't rape anything that moves taxes. any opinions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 10:36 AM

3 posts, read 5,558 times
I'm moving to CC area from NYC soon.. Lots of threads on here but many are very old..

Old 06-19-2014, 10:43 AM

Well when I get there I'll look you up. Good luck with your move. I'm in New York also.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:08 PM

11,431 posts, read 17,159,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodare View Post
I'm moving to CC area from NYC soon.. Lots of threads on here but many are very old..
Not enough computer literate folk in CC.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:17 PM

15,247 posts, read 17,778,196 times
I think most posters are happy to help with specific questions that they know answers to. But general questions like "any opinions?" are difficult to respond to.

Not being snarky, but I have no idea what kind of info you're looking for.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:32 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,656,572 times
I agree with Marlow. You need to be more specific about what you are looking for. There is actually a wealth of knowledge from regular posters in this sub-forum, and a lot of folks here can give you guidance if you'd actually specify what questions you have.

That said, look to surrounding communities around Corpus as well for places to live. Myself, I live in Portland, which in my opinion, is the perfect spot between almost all the communities in this area (Corpus/Rockport/Port A/Sinton).

Old 06-19-2014, 06:15 PM

I should have been more detailed yes. The only concerns I might have are I heard crime is higher there. Possibly drugs or vandalism, but not violent? Also I might be worried about high priced utilities.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:36 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,530,781 times
Since TX has deregulated utilities you will find more choices than you have time to sift through for electric in particular. I moved here last year and quit counting at 246. Without knowing what you are paying for utilities now, hard to say if CC is more expensive. I moved from the West Coast and it seems to be pretty comparable.

The one thing I am enjoying here is the lower cost of gasoline. My job requires me to have an SUV with not the greatest gas mileage so I am happy that fill ups leave me with enough left over to buy groceries! Speaking of groceries, some things are more expensive, some are less. Produce is generally cheaper here all year 'round. Other things like cereal is 2.5x the price I paid back home.

Internet services are determined by your address. Some addresses only have one or two providers, some have tons of choices.

Water and trash seem to be pretty similar to any other place I've lived.

As a newbie here (and I lived in a larger city than CC previously) it seems vehicle theft and break ins to be higher than average. I believe it is not just observation but truth as my insurance company advised that my insurance would about double with the move here. Driving in general is a bit of an experience when you first get here. Nueces County statistically has a high DWI rate per capita. I was advised by colleagues to give up any idea of riding my bike here, and I put it in storage shortly after I arrived...not wanting to be another statistic. We live in a large apartment complex on the south side of town and there is very little property theft in our area. The residents in our complex can leave grills and lawn furniture on the patios without worrying about them growing legs.

If you have dogs or cats be prepared for fleas like you have never seen before. My dog was on heartworm preventative with flea protection before moving here and within 10 days she was infested with fleas. Luckily a great vet here recognized that we were not on the newest meds and got her straightened around quickly.

CC is nothing like Houston though. There is enough shopping here for me. I drive to San Antonio often enough for work so I do my Costco shopping there. CC has an airport but it is not convenient with the places I need to go, so again...another trip to San Antonio. Public transportation works pretty well here though.

What else do you want to know about?

Old 06-19-2014, 06:56 PM

3 posts, read 5,558 times
utsci,
Can you recommend some apartment complexes? The reviews on most of them are pretty disappointing. The only ones I like so far are the Camden apartments.

Thanks

Old 06-20-2014, 06:54 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,530,781 times
Sure...The Palm on SPID seems to go thru management pretty quick. I was going to sublet there but decided against it after I met the staff and the story kept changing. Christiwood seems to have a lot of management turnover as well. I don't know as much about the Camdens or Sendera as they are out of my price range as a grad student. Camden properties seem to be very popular with students and they look very nice. Sendera is very nice and I almost did a room mate situation with someone who already lived there, a young professional, but it didn't work out.

Other complexes to consider are Sugar Tree, The Shores, and anything around the country club neighborhood. If you would like to live by the water Bay Point? (on Ocean Drive) and the Oceans are nice. Avoid The Sterling, Sunchase, Waterford, Valhalla, Coral Cay.

My suggestion is to find a few places, walk through the complex on a weekend when people tend to be home, and take a drive a few blocks in each direction to see if you feel safe. I've done some petsitting for colleagues that I thought had great apartments, but found that first floor apartments are fair game for flying baseballs and anything else that kids find fun (besides having people intentionally walk up to your windows to look in), a LOT of stray animals in certain complexes, and walking my dog in neighborhoods directly adjacent to the complex made me feel unsafe.

Overall, most apartment complexes are very strict about financial qualifications and they will check your references. If your income is not 3 times the rent you will need a verifiable guarantor. They also take past broken leases very seriously. If you will not be able to visit before moving here, it is difficult to get the apartment staffs to give you any assistance with getting things set up. Also be prepared for deregulated utilities (I think I counted 246 electric companies!), most complexes only have one choice for cable internet and tv, water is usually separate but you pay it to the complex, garbage is usually included (and dumpster diving is an awesome past time since the population here is so transient! I have a colleague who completely furnished a very nice place with furniture (except bedding) all acquired from dumpsters).

My other suggestions are to bookmark one of the local tv stations (I did KIII) and look at https://www.crimereports.com/

Remember that TAMUCC only has on-campus housing for maybe 15% of students. Besides TAMUCC there is also Delmar College. So almost anywhere there are rentals there will be students. And then you have multiple military bases in CC too. If you find an apartment you like, ask them which unit you would get and spend some time driving by and hanging out at different times to see the activity. I looked alot at the type of vehicles that were in parking lots, how clean the exteriors/landscaping are kept, check out the pool (so many are just GROSS!). If the office staff is iffy, I would just find another place. You will have to deal with them for rent payment, package pick up, and maintenance requests. If they are not literate you will have problems down the line anytime you need something in writing. I found one great complex but the staff could not communicate in writing in their ads, response to my emails, when I stopped in to take a tour and asked them to write a few things down. Big red flag!

I didn't worry too much about reviews because mostly negative stuff will get posted. Positive people don't tend to leave reviews. If you have colleagues who rent you can also ask where they would suggest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi