U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 03:00 PM

17 posts, read 21,877 times

Advertisements

We originally planned on moving from our current home in San Diego to Austin because my husband lived there about 7 years ago and loved it. Unfortunately Austin's become really expensive and overbuilt, so now we're looking at Corpus Christi / Portland as a potential alternative. All of these questions have a follow-up: "How does it compare to Austin?"

1. Is there a nightlife? We've heard there are great daytime activities, but are there cool bars and places to hang out?

2. Best areas to live? We currently pay $1,550 for a 2-bedroom apartment, so I'd like to reduce that as much as possible. I've heard Corpus Christi is dangerous, lots of gang-related activity...is this true?

3. Dog friendly?

4. What's the weather like in the summer?

My husband is from NYC and is spoiled when it comes to culture, so it's incredibly important that there are things to do on the weekend. We don't have any children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 03:44 PM

86,068 posts, read 75,543,358 times
Well I suggest you rent for 6 months to a year to see if it's what you want.

No, I definitely wouldn't compare it to Austin or NYC.

Weather in Texas is hot and humid.

Here's the seasons: hot, really hot, damn hot, cold.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:51 PM

999 posts, read 1,501,551 times
1. Not much night life that's not related to bars. Pretty much Whiskey River... and everything else. There's an artwalk downtown on Friday nights. And more things to do if you belong to a church community or have friends to hang with from work.

2. Most people think the South Side of CC is good. I don't know about Portland. I am here for just a few years and share a 2 bed, 2 bath split-suite apartment that runs total $1050, before electric/water/cable. It's not the best place but it is convenient to what I need. You can probably do better than $1550 but not by much if you want the newer, nicer complexes with all of the amenities. Here's a link to one of the newest complexes and it doesn't look like you would beat the $1550, maybe even more...Corpus Christi Apartments for Rent | Sendera BayPoint | Floor Plans

3. Pretty much small dog friendly for apartments. If you have larger or certain breeds of dog(s) you will have to look harder. One dog is good, two is ok in most places, three will be tough. But most of us don't take our dogs many places besides out for their walks. The fresh water is stagnant and there are too many jellies/puffer fish/ stingrays/ sand fleas at the beach. And I haven't even started about some freak ant species that they have here that kills people. You will also be using some heavy duty heartworm/flea meds. My dog was on heartworm/flea meds that worked fine at our previous location. Within 10 days of moving to CC she was infested with fleas. The vet said Revolution or Trifexis works. We chose Trifexis and it has been working great.

4. Hot, hot, humid, more humid, rain. We open with windows "sometimes" in November and then March/April. Cold in between and too hot after April.

Corpus Christi is nothing like the vibe in Austin. You should visit for a few weeks and have a good look around before choosing to move here. Austin has a much more vibrant downtown, clubs with music any night, tech events going on all around, more diversified culture. CC has baseball, hockey, the beach, a good art museum with a great cafe, a few really great restaurants. I feel like CC is more geared towards those who like fishing, sitting on the beach, beach bonfires in the evening, 4-wheeling out in the boons, and a very transient population. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever meet someone who has been here who intends to stay here. That's more related to several military bases and two colleges. I also miss a variety of grocery stores (CC has only HEB and Sprouts). I would also like something other than Best Buy for electronics, but CC is not large enough for that. Costco is 2 hours away in San Antonio, along with Trader Joes. There is a Sams Club and plenty of Walmarts. We have all the usual franchise restaurants but some are in short supply. BJ's, Olive Garden, Five Guys, Whataburger, TGIF, Cracker Barrel, Cheddars. However the only Burger King I've found is across town from me and I think there may be 3 Starbucks. Coffee Waves is pretty good though. My favorite places to eat are JB's German and Snoopy's for seafood...but then I'm a low-budget student! Our mall is ok for the usual stuff but nothing like San Diego.

I say visit for at least two weeks straight before you make a decision.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:01 PM

16,769 posts, read 42,917,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedelste View Post
We originally planned on moving from our current home in San Diego to Austin because my husband lived there about 7 years ago and loved it. Unfortunately Austin's become really expensive and overbuilt, so now we're looking at Corpus Christi / Portland as a potential alternative. All of these questions have a follow-up: "How does it compare to Austin?"

"How does it compare to Austin?" Smaller, slower, more laid back, not as many jobs in high tech... more for the oil field workers.

1. Is there a nightlife? We've heard there are great daytime activities,

Yes there is some... as well as great access to several coastal businesses and weekend vacationers.

...but are there cool bars and places to hang out? Yes there are a few...

2. Best areas to live? We currently pay $1,550 for a 2-bedroom apartment, so I'd like to reduce that as much as possible.

I've heard Corpus Christi is dangerous, lots of gang-related activity...is this true? Not so much...

Compare the crime information for Corpus and Austin here;

//www.city-data.com/city/Corpus-Christi-Texas.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html

3. Dog friendly?

I believe they still expect owners to control their dogs.

4. What's the weather like in the summer?

Compare the weather information for Corpus and Austin here;

//www.city-data.com/city/Corpus-Christi-Texas.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html

My husband is from NYC and is spoiled when it comes to culture, so it's incredibly important that there are things to do on the weekend. We don't have any children.
There are no end of things to do with family on weekends, if you look a little farther afield.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:10 AM

They don't have kids. I believe the husband may get a little bored due to the lack of multi-cultural diversity.
And on the note of dogs, it's not too difficult to find housing that accepts most dogs. But I have found walking my dog around town to be uncomfortable. There are so many stray and loose dogs in the area that I have given up going beyond our own neighborhood, which is bad enough. I tried calling animal control and they did nothing. I picked up a few of the friendly strays and took them to animal control first, where they told me they had no room. I then took them to several other shelters and was told the same thing. They all told me to keep the dog and post it on Craigslist and put up posters to find the owner. There isn't an owner! But homeless people seem to be pretty common here too.
I have not found a ton of crime here, as compared to other places I have lived. I can leave things on my pation and not worry about it. Just like any other place I would not leave electronics in my car unlocked. There does seem to be more DWI driving here as every week I see news of a fatal vehicle wreck involving DWI. And amongst my neighbors and co-workers, street drugs and alcohol are generally accepted as the main form of entertainment. Everyone goes out to the bars, most get-togethers at their homes involve alcohol and marijuana, and there's a chain of liquor stores here that you don't even have to get out of your car to purchase alcohol. They bring it right out to you. Have never seen that any other place I've lived. I am also young enough that I am usually carded to purchase alcohol every other place I've lived. I have never been carded in CC for the purchase of alcohol in a store or at a bar.
Driving...I have lived in NYC and other large cities and have never seen people drive like they do here. I suspect that many cannot read English so the traffic signs are irrelevant. Anyone who chooses to move here really needs to watch the YouTube on merging on and off SPID and learn to do it correctly. The constant disregard for traffic laws and general courtesy is beyond description. Thankfully I commute daily on public transportation. I have commuted by bicycle every other place I've lived. But due to the drivers here and lack of bike lanes I put my bike in storage after a month of trying to find a route that was safe. Texas is a place for cars, the bigger the better. I would not feel comfortable driving in anything other than my mid-size SUV. I sit up high enough that I can see what is going on around me before everyone slams on their brakes.
I really think that CC is a nice, quiet (almost sleepy) place for people who want to enjoy the outdoors, can tolerate the heat and humidity to do so, really like to fish and be on the beach, have a boat, enjoy the island time lifestyle. It takes a while for the residents here to warm up to new people. But once I had lived here about 6 months I had enough friends to have an active life. There's enough to do, and the comfort that it never changes.

Last edited by utsci; 07-25-2014 at 09:28 AM..

Old 07-28-2014, 01:23 PM

15,246 posts, read 17,657,142 times
You've gotten some good responses, but I'll just add that Austin and CC have virtually nothing in common. Completely different feelings to the cities. I lived in Austin for 7 years and much prefer CC, but I'm probably in the minority on that.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:10 AM

29 posts, read 33,773 times
My husband and I didnt care for Corpus Christi. If you are a local or your last name is of Mexican/Hispanic origin, you will be fine (not meant to be offensive/racist, just our experience after living there, in South Side, for 2 years). We moved because we didnt want our kids to go to school there. Just too dangerous for us. I would choose Austin. Beecave especially. Oh, and the newspaper in Corpus Christi published an article where it was listed as one of the worst cities in Tx for a family. There was another article about how 1 in 4 drivers are uninsured. And another about the high illiteracy.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:55 PM

Just today 2 more DWI drivers, both with 2 prior convictions. Apparently we are not pounding it into people that drinking and driving are not a good combination. Almost every day is an accident, toddler found wandering in the street, a dog found locked in a car, a person hit on a bicycle...because someone was DWI.

I really like certain things about living here. But not being able to commute on my bike, walk my dog, scuba dive really makes it the wrong place for me. I also like to snowboard...might have something to do with it!

Old 07-31-2014, 08:29 PM

553 posts, read 856,628 times
Courthouse News Service

Regarding DWI's, an esteemed and honorable judicial member, Judge Nora Longoria of the 13th District Court of Appeals, offices in Corpus Christi, was arrested by McAllen police on DWI charges two weeks ago.

The news appeared in the Caller Times and local TV stations. This link provides the complete police report.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:50 AM

86,068 posts, read 75,543,358 times
If you're looking for the next alternative after Austin I would suggest looking at San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or