U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 08:28 PM

59 posts, read 118,254 times

Advertisements

Which is a better area to live in (buying a house in either of these two places). I Really love the beach and I'm a native Californian. Everyone I ask who lives in Texas says the beaches are literally ugly. This is bumming me out.
I was set on Houston, but after hearing that about the beaches I decided to look at Corpus Christi. What is it like there? Would you rather live in Houston or Corpus if the beach was a little bit important to you?
I also noticed that there is way more amenities in Houston like restaurants, coffee shops, and they even have a Trader Joes and a Whole Foods in Houston! That alone might make me suck up the "ugly" beaches and just go there.
I have allergies and slight asthma too, so is the humidity a big deal...like to the point where I might have a difficult time breathing? I looked up the temperatures between the two and was surprised to find out Corpus Christi had more humidity even though its closer to the coast.

So to make a long story short - Which would you choose to reside in? Houston or Corpus Christi? And why? Employment? Things to do? Weather? Prices? Safety? Scenery? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 10:25 PM

1,367 posts, read 2,783,696 times
It is hard to compare the two cities. Houston is an international city with a metro population 13x the amount of Corpus Christi. If you want a city with professional sports, an international airport, arts and museums, huge food scene, diversity, and a variety of night life, then Houston is for you.

If you want a regional city with semi-pro sports, a regional airport, minimal arts and museums, a small, albeit decent sized food scene for an area of its size, less diversity, and scattered night life, then Corpus Christi is for you.

You did mention the beach is important to you. The beaches in the Corpus Christi area are some of the nicest not only in the state, but on the gulf coast. Mustang Island, JP Luby, and the North Padre Island Natl Seashore are all nice. There is also McGee Beach and North Beach downtown.

Personally, Houston is my favorite city in the nation. Although, I live in Corpus. Obviously I would live in Houston if my career wasn't in Corpus. Employment opportunities in both cities are numerous. Both cities have a lot to do. The weather is comparable, although Houston receives quite a bit more rain. Houston has Pine trees. Corpus Christi has Palms and Mesquites.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:51 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,781,359 times
I'm from CC but I lived in Houston for 2.5 years when I was in my 20's. Houston is wonderful because it has so many things to do, but I would never move back because of the traffic. I consider every minute I spend waiting in traffic a minute wasted and in Houston you spend a lot of minutes waiting in traffic. If you need to travel across town, you have to time it so it's not at rush hour, or you might spend a couple of hours trying to get there. Since you're from California, you might not mind that so much.

Also, if you live in Houston you'll most likely be at least 45 minutes from the nearest beach and it will be in Galveston, which is not all that great, IMO. If you live in CC you'll be 20 mins from Padre Island. In addition, if it's a water view that you love, it's possible to live fairly cheaply and still be a 10-minute walk from the bayfront.

You should definitely visit both places for a couple of days before deciding, because they are quite different from one another. Your allergies and asthma will probably behave the same in both places, but Houston is probably smoggier. Both are hideously hot and humid in the summer.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,410 times
I have lived in both cities off and on my whole life. They bave their pros and cons. Houston, to sum it up is way "faster" than Corpus, and i say that quite literally as well as figuratively. Typically fashion trends in Houston take 2 years to reach Corpus (good if you are business minded you can study that market and pretty well predict that it will come here soon). I personally loathe Corpus driving because I drive faster than average and in Houston EVERYBODY speeds! Theres no time to waste seems to be the Houstonion mind set. However that doesnt come with the abrupt rudeness you may find in, say, NY. And I should mention that surprisingly I find people in general to be nicer, more sociable, and open minded (non judgemental) in Houston more than Corpus. Houston is also nick named Hustle Town, and with good reason, seems like way more people are looking to make a dollar in various colorful thoughtful entrepreneurial kind of ways-right down to the homeless! Eg: see a homeless in Corpus-cardboard sign stating "anything helps"; go to Houston and a homeless is offering to detail your car or has a bucket to clean your windshield at the red light.
As for beaches-hands down (and toes in the sand!) Corpus all day long baby! This aint the Sparkling City by the Sea for nothing. Houston might as well not even have one, jus sayin. Yes way more rain in Houston-and flooding to go with. Corpus always has a pleasant breeze and the scene on Shoreline/Ocean takes me to a sweet place of peace even 30 years later from when I was a child. Nothing is too far away here. Many great churches in Corpus, the one I go to (Calvary Chapel of the Coastlands) was started here by a man from California actually and several couples came with him and they all seem to be satisfied after living here for over 10 years. All in all I would choose Corpus for the relaxed living great scenery, promising future, and hey Houston is only 3.5 hours away-you can go anytime! (I always do). Hope this helps some.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:33 PM

553 posts, read 867,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCosmos View Post
Which is a better area to live in (buying a house in either of these two places). I Really love the beach and I'm a native Californian. Everyone I ask who lives in Texas says the beaches are literally ugly. This is bumming me out.
I was set on Houston, but after hearing that about the beaches I decided to look at Corpus Christi. What is it like there? Would you rather live in Houston or Corpus if the beach was a little bit important to you?
I also noticed that there is way more amenities in Houston like restaurants, coffee shops, and they even have a Trader Joes and a Whole Foods in Houston! That alone might make me suck up the "ugly" beaches and just go there.
I have allergies and slight asthma too, so is the humidity a big deal...like to the point where I might have a difficult time breathing? I looked up the temperatures between the two and was surprised to find out Corpus Christi had more humidity even though its closer to the coast.

So to make a long story short - Which would you choose to reside in? Houston or Corpus Christi? And why? Employment? Things to do? Weather? Prices? Safety? Scenery? Thanks!

To make a long story short - the perception of beauty is subjective.

David Hume's Essays, Moral and Political, 1742, include: "Beauty in things exists merely in the mind which contemplates them."

Some of the beaches around Corpus Christi are unsurpassed, imo, for their wild and harsh beauty. There is a lot to know and understand with regard to the local beaches. The best, imo, starts in Malaquite Beach on the north end of Padre Island National Seashore (PINS) and runs some 65 miles to the Port Mansfield jetties.

You need to know the tides, a two tide day (periods) is not the time to go with its strong currents and roily murky waters unless of course you want to camp in the wilderness and listen to the surf pound the beach or surf. I always planned trips around four tide days when the tides are gentle for surf/wade fishing. On calm days the surf will be clear and green and you can see the fish running in the cuts and waves.

I love to visit Houston for two or three days the I love getting out

That's the long and short of it!

Old 12-15-2014, 07:57 PM

3,279 posts, read 7,004,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Personally, Houston is my favorite city in the nation.
Don't travel much, do you?

Old 12-15-2014, 09:08 PM

1,367 posts, read 2,783,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Don't travel much, do you?
I've actually traveled quite a bit. I'd want to live in Germany over anywhere else in the world. But in the US, Houston is my favorite city. My profession is one my main factors.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:20 PM

176 posts, read 586,670 times
The beaches on the gulf are quite a bit different than the west coast. I grew up in OR with trips to Hawaii and FL (which totally spoils you as far as beaches are concerned) and the beaches in TX didn't quite feel "right." After travelling more they are definitely very nice beaches with warm water, but they felt sort of one note at the time. They're pretty similar to each other and there are not many unique or striking natural feautures. They're eminently good as a beach, they just are not that unique or striking. Hope that makes sense without being insulting.

Camping on the beach at Mustang Island should not be missed though, especially if you've never camped on the beach before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or