Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 10:39 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,210,287 times

Advertisements

I am seeking an alternative to FL for a vacation home. Some place a good deal warmer than Denver in Jan and Feb. Although weather stats indicate CC is not as warm in the winter as south FL, it appears to be adequate for my purposes. I only plan to live there a couple months a year. Pluses include that CC is closer and cheaper than coastal south FL. I will say at this point I have never been to CC, but plan on driving down in a few weeks. I would like to get some input before I drive down. Does CC have a significant population of snowbirds? If so where are they largely from? For security and maintenance reasons I want a condo or townhome in a complex. I am willing to pay up to 150K. The condo criteria seems to limit my options to downtown, the island area east of downtown, and what appears to me based upon census maps to be a largely senior area north of downtown. The large senior population makes the later area less desirable to me. Is there any reason I should avoid any of those three areas? Is considering CC for a winter condo just wacky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 11:05 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
I am seeking an alternative to FL for a vacation home. Some place a good deal warmer than Denver in Jan and Feb. Although weather stats indicate CC is not as warm in the winter as south FL, it appears to be adequate for my purposes. I only plan to live there a couple months a year. Pluses include that CC is closer and cheaper than coastal south FL. I will say at this point I have never been to CC, but plan on driving down in a few weeks. I would like to get some input before I drive down. Does CC have a significant population of snowbirds? If so where are they largely from? For security and maintenance reasons I want a condo or townhome in a complex. I am willing to pay up to 150K. The condo criteria seems to limit my options to downtown, the island area east of downtown, and what appears to me based upon census maps to be a largely senior area north of downtown. The large senior population makes the later area less desirable to me. Is there any reason I should avoid any of those three areas? Is considering CC for a winter condo just wacky?
Are you VRBOing your house in Denver duing Jan and Feb

Old 01-07-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Are you VRBOing your house in Denver duing Jan and Feb
no

Old 01-07-2015, 12:20 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
I don't live there but did keep my sailboat in the area for three years. I was often told by the locals that there are quite a few snowbirds who move into the area every winter. I know there are several trailer park communities that seem to be focused on those visitors. I recommend you take a look at the Rockport/Fulton area, 30 miles NE of CC on Aransas Bay. It is the prettiest part of the Texas coastal areas.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
I second CptnRn on Rockport. Nicest beach town I've been to in quite a number of years.
Rockport is on my list of the next place to move when I retire again

I was down there last year at Thanksgiving for a long weekend. There seemed to be quite a few retired folks out and about.

And if you are going to CC then it's just a short side trip north for you.

Rockport, TX - Official Website | Official Website

Old 01-07-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Rockport is on my list of the next place to move when I retire again
Thank You for the feedback. From my perspective that is the biggest problem with Rockport, most of the people in Rockport are retired.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:57 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
Thank You for the feedback. From my perspective that is the biggest problem with Rockport, most of the people in Rockport are retired.
If that is true they must be retiring awfully young.

Rockport:

Old 01-08-2015, 02:34 PM

10 posts, read 17,493 times
Is Rockport nothing but New York/Jersey South or are the people in general nicer than that? I can't take Florida any more because of this worsening problem. Can't even go to the store any more without being pushed around and called names. Also I became a sports massage therapist late in life but 80% of the men down here push for extra services which I don't do. Nasty.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:57 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
There are snow birds in Corpus Christi, but there are more of them in Port Isabel and South Padre Island. If you come to CC for a visit, you'll be close enough (3-hour drive) to check out those areas as well.

Robert5, are you set on buying a condo? If you're coming for 2 months you can probably rent a condo, at least for your first year, for a fairly reasonable price. Look at rentals in Rockport and Port Aransas. $150k will only get you a small condo at best.

As far as you aversion to old people, most snowbirds are retired. But CC is small enough that even if you live in condo with a lot of older people, you can easily get to every other part of town to mingle with younger people.

ABZ129, I haven't found people to be particularly rude in Rockport or anywhere else in the Coastal Bend. I think most of the snowbirds who come here are from the midwest.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
If that is true they must be retiring awfully young.
I love those city data Zip code charts, thank you. Perhaps I exaggerated a tiny bit. But it kind of makes my point if you ignore the under 20 kids. There are more people in their 60s and 70s in Rockport than there are in their 20s an 30s, that is not anything like a standard population curve or the population of Corpus Cristi.78414: //pics4.city-data.com/zag/za78414.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi