U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 07:44 AM

8 posts, read 11,639 times

Advertisements

Hi! We're relocating from St. Louis, MO to TX. We own our own business so location for work isn't overly important. Our top priority is schools and proximity to the coast. Please help...I've never even been to Texas! I'm not seeing the greatest ratings on schools in Corpus Christi or Galveston so far. Do I have to search a little further away from the coast?

Thanks a ton!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 03:59 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,788,443 times
Portland, Ingleside, Calallen, Tuloso Midway, Aransas Pass, and Flour Bluff are all great school districts in the Corpus Christi area. My personal favorite is Tuloso Midway, due to the year round schedule.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:44 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,799,875 times
Aransas Pass ??? I had a friend Asst Superintendent -she quit because there was so many drugs and when they called the parents in -they too were high.

AP is getting much better and they have a great new police chief..

Maybe you mean Aransas County ISD. I was on the school board there and its pretty good. Flour Bluff and Gregory Portland are two others No other district is really better than average for the State of Texas which is way below average for the country. Flour Bluff has a fair amount of violent crime. Portland is sort of a bedroom community with no real identity.

If your children can gain entry to the IB International Baccalaurate Program at some of the lessor schools -that would make a great difference.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:37 PM

4,202 posts, read 3,382,959 times
Gregory-Portland ISD is one of the best public school systems in the Coastal Bend.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:35 AM

8 posts, read 11,639 times
Thanks everyone. How is Galveston I SD or other nearby schools to there? Which should we avoid? We're targeting that area now. Thanks a ton! Maybe I need to post a new thread in Galveston.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:40 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,788,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by servingstl View Post
Thanks everyone. How is Galveston I SD or other nearby schools to there? Which should we avoid? We're targeting that area now. Thanks a ton! Maybe I need to post a new thread in Galveston.
Galveston is three and a half hours to the north of Corpus. You might want to ask about Galveston in the Texas or Houston forum.

A couple of big pluses that CC has over Galveston is that the beaches are nicer and the elevation is higher, so the area is less susceptible to flooding. Also, historically speaking, Corpus Christi is less prone to tropical systems than Galveston is.

One big plus that Galveston has over CC is that is is fairly close to Houston.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:01 PM

265 posts, read 282,920 times
FYI-There are parts of Houston/Galveston that the state prohibits eating fish caught from that area

Old 03-02-2015, 08:18 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,531,849 times
I would suggest that you take some time to visit both areas and see what appeals to you more. When I looked at moving to TX (for school) I toured both areas.

Almost every building in Galveston has some sort of bragging right of how high the water line was in the last hurricane, and they seem to have all had several hurricane experiences. The location is close to Houston, if you feel the need for a metropolitan city nearby. The island where Galveston is located is pretty crowded in some parts. There is a big disparity of nice and not-so-nice depending on where you are on the island. My impression is that Galveston is pretty touristy all year round (I went at 3 different times of the year), lots of cruise ship departures, lots of transient population, and seems that a small handful of families sort of rule the roost as far as governance of the area.

Corpus Christi seems to be a better location for avoiding most hurricanes (knock on wood!) and most buildings have not been damaged by multiple storms. I have been in a few buildings that had a musty, moldy smell to them but they have been few and far between. There seems to be more new development in CC than in Galveston, new housing, a bit of suburban sprawl, even talk of a Costco some day. There are still plenty of open spaces in CC, not quite so cheek-to-jowl as Galveston, IMO. Although the outer beaches/water is cleaner I don't swim here either. And we're careful about what kind of fish we eat here. Anything that is a bottom feeder is off my list. There is still a large transient population in CC too. There are the oil refinery/rig workers, a few colleges, and multiple military bases. I think it's one of the big reasons that there is very little long-term planning that actually gets carried out in CC. I feel that very few people are here to stay and therefore, they don't care a about what happens 5 or 10 years from now. NOt to say that there are not some people who DO care, but I think they have a tough road to make things work. I think rents are pretty steep for what you get compared to other areas I've lived. Purchasing a home seems pretty reasonable but I've heard that storm insurance is pretty pricey.

I can't speak to the school system here as I don't have children. But I will say that TX ranks pretty low nationally. Many children here seem to go to private school and there seems to be a lot of ESL and special ed kids in the system. There are many non-English speakers in CC. I see many undergrads struggling with very basic or even remedial classes. Also, CC is much closer to the border so I feel there tends to be a bigger problem with drugs and alcohol abuse than I saw in Galveston. That may also come with the transient population that is a large part of residents. But overall, TX seems to be way more liberal with drugs and alcohol overall. I can't imagine raising a child here as all of my cohorts who grew up here have had much more exposure to partying than I can even describe.

Besides visiting both locations I would suggest that you bookmark a couple of the local tv news sites and check in every few days. You will get an idea for the type of things going on around town, good and bad.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:22 AM

2 posts, read 2,326 times
Port A
Seashore Learning Center & Seashore Middle Academy (On “The Island”(North Padre Island))
Flour Bluff ISD

I live on the “the Island” and love it! Both my kids are at Seashore and are doing well. Seashore is a small charter school in the Flour Bluff ISD so you get the private school feel without the $$$.

Port A is too expensive and a bit too Key Westy……..plus during the summers and spring break it is a touristy mad house!

The Island is one of the last affordable, relatively underdeveloped barrier islands left in the U.S. Prices are a bit higher than mainland CC, however, the Causeway does a pretty good job of keeping the riffraff off the Island. There are some pretty sketchy places in CC and the Intercostal Waterway, ICW, is a pretty good moat and we only go Over The Bridge, OTB, for work and groceries. I love being five minutes from the beach and the boat ramp…..You can get to pretty much anywhere in CC in about thirty minutes from the Island….
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or