U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:24 PM

999 posts, read 1,500,625 times

Advertisements

So being on a starving student stipend I don't get out to the finer dining places. My parents are visiting in May and we'll be celebrating my graduation. They would like to take everyone out to a nice steak & seafood restaurant. Please make suggestions! Niko's and Yararm look good so far. And I've also heard about Water Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 01:48 AM

553 posts, read 856,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
So being on a starving student stipend I don't get out to the finer dining places. My parents are visiting in May and we'll be celebrating my graduation. They would like to take everyone out to a nice steak & seafood restaurant. Please make suggestions! Niko's and Yararm look good so far. And I've also heard about Water Street.
The Yardarm is my choice in CC for the last 15 years. Nice ambiance, the bouillabaisse and rib-eye have always been excellent - these folks know good food . The Water Street Oyster Bar had good food, last I was there, but it's too loud to enjoy a conversation, imo. Niko's steaks didn't float my boat - $9.00 Martinis!!! Katz 21 lost something after moving to Spohn. Dragonfly is excellent for lunch. The Snail Onglet (hanger steak) is not something one expects to find in a town like CC.

I might add, there is a little taco shop across the street from Flour Bluff HS with the best carne guisada tacos since the Donut Hole (Ayers) closed down.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:07 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,653,800 times
I'm in the minority, but I think The Yardarm is overrated. The last time I ate there the food was only so-so. We much prefer Dragonfly when we're wanting something special. It does not have a fancy atmosphere, but the food is consistently awesome. Both Water Street restaurants are always good. The Republic of Texas has a wonderful view and atmosphere, but I haven't eaten there in years. Bleu Bistro downtown has a very nice atmosphere and a fancy menu, but again, if I'm going to pay those prices, I'd rather go to Dragonfly.

Congratulations on your graduation! Seems like you just got here.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:42 AM

Thanks Marlow! I am graduating but I might be staying for a while to explore some volunteer/internship opportunities before moving on to a job.

I really appreciate all the help that the seasoned CC residents provided me when I first moved here. CC is a tough place to move to when you don't know anyone. I had never attended a universtiy that did not have a housing and transportation department. So finding housing and figuring out the commute was really tough for me in the beginning. Then when my first apartment booted us all out to remodel after just a few short months here...there was a point I considered living in my car!

So thanks for all your help. I'm happy to re-pay these favors to help others continue their education or career when they are moving to CC.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:53 PM

13,166 posts, read 6,394,061 times
Quote:
Thanks Marlow! I am graduating but I might be staying for a while to explore some volunteer/internship opportunities before moving on to a job.

I really appreciate all the help that the seasoned CC residents provided me when I first moved here. CC is a tough place to move to when you don't know anyone. I had never attended a universtiy that did not have a housing and transportation department. So finding housing and figuring out the commute was really tough for me in the beginning. Then when my first apartment booted us all out to remodel after just a few short months here...there was a point I considered living in my car!

So thanks for all your help. I'm happy to re-pay these favors to help others continue their education or career when they are moving to CC.
If my parents were coming to Corpus for my Graduation - I would consider a couple of things.
1. Have they ever been to Corpus? Or even the Texas Gulf Coast?
2. Do you want to show off the water/bay views and seafood? Hard to beat Ocean Drive.
3. Do you want to present the very best ambiance of the city?
4. Would they prefer a "coastal experience", a more fun and casual experience or a more elegant experience?

The YardArm is a great location, beautiful drive, dependable food, deck overlooking the bay and a little pricey. Water Street has great food, Coastal Ambiance, fun/up-beat (and noisy) vibe. There are several places on the Marina and I love North Beach and Port A. My experience with most guests is that they want the "coast experience" and good/fresh seafood. Locals tend to go to favorite places without considering what a visitor might be wanting to experience on the coast.

Congrats on your Graduation, hope your family enjoys the trip.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:42 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,755,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
If my parents were coming to Corpus for my Graduation - I would consider a couple of things.
1. Have they ever been to Corpus? Or even the Texas Gulf Coast?
2. Do you want to show off the water/bay views and seafood? Hard to beat Ocean Drive.
3. Do you want to present the very best ambiance of the city?
4. Would they prefer a "coastal experience", a more fun and casual experience or a more elegant experience?

The YardArm is a great location, beautiful drive, dependable food, deck overlooking the bay and a little pricey. Water Street has great food, Coastal Ambiance, fun/up-beat (and noisy) vibe. There are several places on the Marina and I love North Beach and Port A. My experience with most guests is that they want the "coast experience" and good/fresh seafood. Locals tend to go to favorite places without considering what a visitor might be wanting to experience on the coast.

Congrats on your Graduation, hope your family enjoys the trip.
With that in mind, I know it is a chain restaurant, (but with great food), the Joe's Crab Shack downtown, literally in the water, is awesome.

Also, Pier 99 on North Beach has great food for a great price. You can't beat the view! Especially eating out on the deck, overlooking the Lexington, TSA, Harbor Bridge, and downtown.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:32 PM

My parents have been here to visit a few times before. Last summer we did quite a tour of the city with the museums, Lexington, aquarium, Port A, etc. They have treated to dinner at Snoopys, the German cafe, and a few places in PA.

Snoopys is good food, but I think they are looking for a sit down dinner type place, on the water would be nice but not critical. Dad likes meat and potatoes, mom likes seafood. No one is a big drinker but it might be nice to have a bottle of wine. We have visited many large cities and eaten in some pretty deluxe places. But it doesn't have to be the highest price, just good food. We would all appreciate a place that is quiet enough to have conversation, not interested in the sports bar or bar in the middle of the dining room experience. We've also eaten at quite a few places in PA and we all thought they were not worth the prices. Not interested in uneven cement floors, screaming children, walking to the bar to get a glass of wine, and pretty steep prices for pretty small plates. They really capitalize on the tourist there.

So I'm thinking a sit down dinner, nicer surroundings but the maitre d shouldn't have to be paid off for a good table, alcohol available but bar service is not needed, water view is nice but not required. Graduation is supposed to start at 2PM at the convention center, have no idea how long it will take before we get out of there. Even if it gets late on graduation day we could go to dinner on another evening. And again we need to have a place that serves steak as well as seafood. I would like to go to a place that is unique to CC since we have traveled a lot and not interested int he franchised stuff. Athough I don't think I can keep them away from Snoopys for just one more lunch/dinner on the deck and a walk next door to have some ice cream and continue to enjoy the deck! I think I'll look into Pier 99 and Joe's Crab Shack (not a franchise that we are familiar with) now too. Dragonfly and Water Street are still on the list as well.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Old 04-01-2015, 08:12 PM

I think Dragonfly would be a bit more casual than they would expect. Water Street still looks good. What is the difference between the restaurant and the oyster bar? Are they in the same building? Pier 99 looks like good food, but again a bit casual for the occasion and mostly fried food. Joe's Crab Shack would be a great place for mom and me to grab lunch but no steaks would make dad a very unhappy guy!

Old 04-02-2015, 12:01 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,755,282 times
Quote:
I think Dragonfly would be a bit more casual than they would expect. Water Street still looks good. What is the difference between the restaurant and the oyster bar? Are they in the same building? Pier 99 looks like good food, but again a bit casual for the occasion and mostly fried food. Joe's Crab Shack would be a great place for mom and me to grab lunch but no steaks would make dad a very unhappy guy!
If you are looking for something a little more unique to CC, (the restaurant is an actual boat), and a little less casual look at Landry's on the T-Heads. I believe they do offer the steak and potatoes your dad is looking for and the seafood you and your mother may be craving. You can enjoy a view over the bay or of the skyline downtown. Here is the menu and here is the location. The food is decent but the prices are a little steep.

The Oyster Bar is just that. A Bar. Water Street is the actual sit down restaurant.

Hopefully this will meet your needs and expectations!

Old 04-06-2015, 11:08 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,653,800 times
Quote:
There's no real difference between the Water Street restaurants, but I think the Oyster Bar tends to be a little louder. They have the same menu.

Another place you might want to check is the Railroad Seafood Inn behind the federal courthouse. There's no view, but it's a nice enough atmosphere and the food is good. I think your dad can get a steak but I'm sure you could see the menu online. All of those downtown restaurants are going to be crowded after the graduation ceremony. Might be worth seeing if you can get a reservation.

As you know, CC is a very casual place. If you want quiet and refined, you really should check out the Republic of Texas or maybe even Katz's out on the Southside. Every other place I can think of is fairly loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi