U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 12:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,255 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I am strongly considering relocating from Kansas City, Missouri to Corpus Christi and I am going to be visiting the area in early March. I am married and have four children, two dogs (Rott mixes) and a cat. My children are in 10th, 8th, 6th and 1st grade. I was wanting to get locals input on the local areas to live. We are going to be renting and looking at 3-4 bedrooms for <$1000 but in a safe area. Any high crime areas or areas to avoid? Also wanting to know your thoughts on the school districts. My oldest is very much into art, my second child is wanting to do cheer, my third child is wanting to play football. Also any places that you would suggest as a must visit while I'm down? I am really wanting to get a feel for the town. I will definitely be at a beach at some point lol. Thanks so much for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 11:33 AM

811 posts, read 841,091 times
Hey nydoll911, perhaps you've already made your visit at this point and know more than I do, but I've been researching rents and purchase prices in the greater CC area extensively over the last month, prepping for a move this summer/fall. Unfortunately, a 3-4 bedroom place for $1000 or less is a very tall order. In the central city area of Corpus (ghetto - don't do it) you might find something that fits this price range. I've learned that the Bay Area and Southside neighborhoods are mostly respectable (Bay Area: inside Ocean Dr, Doddridge, Alameda, and Cape Cod; South Side: inside Airline, Alameda and Ennis Joslin - basically surrounding the Oso Bay Golf Course), but 3 bedrooms are $1200-$1500. This price range is about the same in the suburb of Calallen, to the west. You might find a 3bd in either Ingleside or Aransas Pass for $1000, if you're okay with those locations, that might be your best bet. I've never seen a 4 bedroom anything for $1000 or less, I'm sorry to say. High property taxes and hurricane zone insurance seems to be culprits regarding the disproportionate rent costs. Good luck! I'm in a similar boat!

Old 03-13-2015, 08:55 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,519,558 times
I wouldn't do this at all .
I was born and raised in Port Aransas ( well born in CC ) Ingleside and Aransas Pass are dumps of the highest order , which IslandCityGirl was trying to say nicely - I think -. Crime is everywhere there . Where I came from ( Port A ) a shed would run you 15-2000 and up and the safer parts of CC are that and more . The ENTIRE area is not pet friendly if you are renting . HUGE pet deposits if they allow animals at all . Not to mention it's very dirty , air and water quality is terrible . I live cheaper in Seattle ,which is crazy, with clean fresh air and water . I have lived in Nueces , Aransas and San Pat counties and the water has literally made me sick when I had to drink out of the tap- very heavy and gloppy on your stomach by husband from Europe says it smells like straight bleach ot of the tap , I am so used to it I cannot sell it anymore . Sometimes you cannot go into the Gulf due to high levels of human waste and other crud . Eww .

Old 03-13-2015, 09:31 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,633,475 times
Wow, Dutchess... I don't even know where to begin on your topic. All I can say is,is that you are soooo wrong. I have been in this area for 6 years now (live in Portland, work in Corpus). A lot of strides have been made, and Corpus is actually not that bad in the crime stats. Corpus Christi and San Pat MUD both have Superior Water Quality Ratings, as issued by the TCEQ. Were you drinking well water?

I have never heard of the "human waste" that you are referring to in the Gulf. Care to elaborate? I doubt you will be able to (and please, if you do have something to retort, please make it CURRENT). Real Estate here, is actually still pretty reasonable when compared to many other areas.

I will admit, though.. you did make me laugh at your ridiculous post.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:27 PM

553 posts, read 854,760 times
Elaborated:

Meeting to Address Concerns of Bay Bacteria Levels - KiiiTV.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend

http://www.glo.texas.gov/what-we-do/...nal-report.pdf

http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/assets/p...-finalrev1.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOVyf4R6i40

Old 03-14-2015, 05:42 AM

You do know the #3 poster was talking about the GULF, and not the BAY, right? Show me stats of what she was specifying. And, guess what... our bays aren't the only ones in the USA to have that issue. Here are just a few sites for you to peruse:

Chemical Contaminants - Chesapeake Bay Program

https://www.nrdc.org/greengate/health/fishf.asp

Find Out Which Bay Area Beaches Are Contaminated With the Most Bacteria | News Fix | KQED News

The 12 Most Polluted Beaches In The US - Business Insider

Notice that Corpus Christi, or any beach in the Coastal Bend NOT being mentioned?? Also, please "elaborate" on our foul drinking water. Please do. Lol. The people who post in these sometimes would rather hear themselves gripe and make crap up to make themselves feel better. If you are going to say it, fully back it up with facts.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
You do know the #3 poster was talking about the GULF, and not the BAY, right? Show me stats of what she was specifying. And, guess what... our bays aren't the only ones in the USA to have that issue. Here are just a few sites for you to peruse:

Chemical Contaminants - Chesapeake Bay Program

https://www.nrdc.org/greengate/health/fishf.asp

Find Out Which Bay Area Beaches Are Contaminated With the Most Bacteria | News Fix | KQED News

The 12 Most Polluted Beaches In The US - Business Insider

Notice that Corpus Christi, or any beach in the Coastal Bend NOT being mentioned?? Also, please "elaborate" on our foul drinking water. Please do. Lol. The people who post in these sometimes would rather hear themselves gripe and make crap up to make themselves feel better. If you are going to say it, fully back it up with facts.
Please note - I haven't said anything but "Elaborated."

A fact: Sunset Lake Smells Fishy | Corpus Christi, TX | KRISTV.com |

Old 03-14-2015, 06:47 AM

Yes, I know you said "Elaborated"... followed by a bunch of links to try to prove Dutchess's point. So, I was discussing that, and Dutchess's unfounded accusations.

Further, the Sunset Lake link... you do know most lakes have a "turn-over" process, right? This is when the warm water on top and cold, dense water on the bottom switch sides, which causes a fish kill, due to the low oxygen levels at the bottom, and the large temperature change. This is completely normal.

Lake Turnover - National Geographic Education

"Elaborated"

Old 03-14-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Yes, I know you said "Elaborated"... followed by a bunch of links to try to prove Dutchess's point. So, I was discussing that, and Dutchess's unfounded accusations.

Further, the Sunset Lake link... you do know most lakes have a "turn-over" process, right? This is when the warm water on top and cold, dense water on the bottom switch sides, which causes a fish kill, due to the low oxygen levels at the bottom, and the large temperature change. This is completely normal.

Lake Turnover - National Geographic Education

"Elaborated"
Not in Aug, 2014 - not a normal lake turn-over, out of season, review your data.

EWG Tap Water Database 2009

TCEQ - Drinking Water Watch

Old 03-14-2015, 07:57 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,519,558 times
No I am right , BOTH Gulf and Bay are at times so unsafe with E coli and other Cr*p that you cannot go in . You need to pay attn to the local news AND signage around the bays and Gulf both because you may be missing valuable warnings .

I was born there in 1962 not 6 years ago I have lived all over the world but that is my home base from which I come and go from although I now doubt I will ever leave the west coast , I really like it nor am I angry or miserable or whatever you were trying to say .

I am not lying to this person in anyway ,shape or form, and thanks to Rust Never Sleeps for looking this up for me . The FACTS are that I lived there most of my 52 years . I am FAR from the only one that warns of the water quality.

I need to find all the articles about the testing - first at the local resident request , THEN at their demand that went on near the refineries where they actually TOLD the people after the testing that they had acceptable levels of Benzene in their bodies.. That is insane. CC also was ranked #1 in the US for many years and may still be in birth defects . I left again 4 years ago so do not have the most recent finds .

Here is just one of the birth defect links , I just woke up so I am too tired to research for you right now .
http://www.caller.com/news/new-study...defect-rate-to

Another report on the general grossness of the area that states :The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC’s) National Center for Environmental Health (NCEH) are concerned for the health of the residents of the Corpus Christi area.
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/sites/corpu...al_report.html

and a water one that's recent that echos some of the things I was talking about
https://www.tceq.texas.gov/waterqual...-petronila-tds

Now going back to sleep & please by all means keep on laughing as you drink that stuff and breathe the air .

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 03-14-2015 at 08:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or