U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 05:48 AM

19 posts, read 33,759 times

Advertisements

We decided to buy a house after all and made the house hunting trip to Corpus last weekend. We ended up going the new construction route which is expected to 6-8 months. This means that we'll need to find a temporary place to rent for 5-6 months while we wait for our house to be built. Having two small dogs and a house full of stuff, I think I'd prefer to rent a house instead of an apartment, but if push comes to shove, we'll rent an apartment and put our excess stuff in storage.

I've been using realtor.com to search rentals, is that the best place to get the most comprehensive results? Where else should I be looking? How much in advance do most landlords there start putting their homes on realtor.com? If I need a lease to start end of June, am I searching too early? Will I be hard pressed to find a landlord willing to do a six month lease instead of a traditional 12 month?

I'm really surprised at how expensive rents are in Corpus. I suppose it is due to the high property taxes there. The insurance quotes I got on the houses we looked at before deciding to build were outrageously pricy as well. I expected living in a coastal area would naturally have a higher insurance cost, and I had always heard TX had high property taxes, but I'm still getting a little sticker shock from it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 07:39 PM

265 posts, read 278,432 times
Realtor.com is updated every 15 minutes and is much better than Trillow, however. Home owners who are NOT going through a mgmt company can also pay to get their homes listed on Trillow. The problem is some of the info you find on Trillow will be outdated.

My recommendation is to ask your REALTOR (I hope you did use a realtor for your new build didnt you?) to find a home for you on the MLS.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:03 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,652,412 times
Rents are high right now because of the Eagle Ford Shale boom and the growth of the university (Texas A&M Corpus Christi). I don't know much about renting here because I haven't done it, but you should also check Craigslist and maybe contact some real estate management companies.

Welcome to the area!

Old 03-12-2015, 10:13 PM

999 posts, read 1,500,138 times
I've been renting here for two years and found both of my places through Craigslist. Avoid the rental agencies. I found them to be a waste of my time. They showed me what they wanted me to rent, not what I wanted to rent. Rental ads don't normally go up until the current renter gives notice, so to rent for June 1, you will have to wait until late April or early May to start seeing the ads. A 6 month lease might be a bit of a stretch since this will leave the landlord looking for another tenant at Christmas time. Also, rents are fairly high for a city as small as CC. Don't expect any bargains ifyou want to live in a decent place. And expect to look at a lot of frogs before you find the prince. Seriously, I looked at a "garage apartment" (expecting something over or behind the garage at a private residence, granny flat) and it was actually a garage, complete with one wall as the roll up door, the toilet was across from the kitchen sink, and the floor was bare cement. The entrance was through the main house laundry room (unless I wanted to roll up the garage door!), in which there was a couple renting the house. There was no locking door between the laundry room and the garage. And my first apartment was in a complex that decided to remodel 3 months after I signed my lease, so all the tenants had to move out or move to a more expensive apartment that had already been renovated. We also looked at houses and there are definitely better areas than others. Be careful. I don't think the dogs are a problem. I have a small dog and had no problem finding an apartment that would take us. There are some nice apartments at the south end of town. You will hear a lot about rowdy students or military, but we've never had a problem. And we live in a complex very near the university, has bus route that stops right in front of our building just for the students, and we never have any problems with any excessive noise or partying. Military guys and gals are pretty respectful as they know any problems can be reported to their command and it will result in consequences.
Good luck and welcome to CC!

Old 03-13-2015, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 2,317 times
Can you guys help me with information on Corpus. My family is thinking about moving there this summer, and I have been looking for a house. I don't want to be in an apartment. I have been looking at the Seascape park which is in my eyes a trailer park, but the lady said they are newer homes. We are going to be in Corpus the weekend on April 18th for Island day at the University because my daughter got accepted there to start in the Fall. If anyone can help me with looking or what area to look in. I have 2 other ones that are still in regular school. One is in high school and one in middle school. We are coming from Dallas but we are from Arkansas so it shouldn't be to bad of a culture shock. Any help would be nice.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:50 PM

999 posts, read 1,500,138 times
Craigslist is your best bet. Don't even waste your time at the university, they have no housing information other than dorms. If you are going to TAMUCC I would focus on the area along Alameda between Ennis Joslin and Not quite to Airline. Another good area is areas near McArdle between Airline and Ennis Joslin. Otherwise I hear that Flour Bluff has a good school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi