U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 07:11 AM

733 posts, read 698,735 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies about my question about the Del Mar area.

Does Corpus not have an active dog rescue program? That would be sad and disturbing news. I work with a dog rescue organization and do a lot of foster care for dogs waiting for forever homes.

I had forgotten about lead paint and lack of insulation in older homes.

Thanks again. It was very valuable information and I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 07:24 AM

Also, I was looking at a house on Paloma, which is near the sketchy Airline/Alameda intersection mentioned, on the bay side...it's very hard to get information from the real estate agents, they have rose-colored glasses at all times or maybe just want to make a sale - the house is very cute -

Old 04-22-2015, 08:02 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,632,035 times
I think Paloma is a very interesting street because it has such a wide variety of homes. I'm not sure what area utsci was calling sketchy, but I wouldn't have any qualms about living on Paloma. We live not very far from there and haven't had a single problem ourselves, although there have been some car break-ins in the area. Also, I doubt if there are many communities in the country where you can buy/rent an affordable house within walking distance of the water. You might want to take advantage of it while you're here.

CC has a variety of very active dog/cat rescue organizations, but it is still a huge problem. Not sure where you're moving from, but I think in general the south has a bigger problem with dumped animals than the north because the animals can survive outside year round. That's my theory anyway.

While lack of insulation in an older home can be an issue in heating/cooling costs, I wouldn't worry about lead paint. Most of the houses built in the 60's have been painted over enough that I don't think it's ever an issue. I haven't lived in a house built after 1959 and we and our daughter have all been fine. I don't know anyone who has lived in an older home who has had any problems based on lead paint.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:19 AM

553 posts, read 854,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
.it's very hard to get information from the real estate agents, they have rose-colored glasses at all times or maybe just want to make a sale -
You think?

Answers to questions were vague, shallow, and short? Your questions were short, pithy and to the point! You were otherwise coddled and cosseted?

There's a big difference between sunshine pumping middlemen/women, and the cautious, intelligent buyer.

Brokers, lenders, title companies, appraisers and real estate agents—form alliances to make money.

I can quickly explain how you can take the bull by the horns using a single sheet of paper and pen.

Are you determined to buy at the top of the market?

Rust

Old 04-22-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I wouldn't worry about lead paint. Most of the houses built in the 60's have been painted over enough that I don't think it's ever an issue. I haven't lived in a house built after 1959 and we and our daughter have all been fine. I don't know anyone who has lived in an older home who has had any problems based on lead paint.
http://www.fsa.usda.gov/Internet/FSA...pactof1992.pdf

The City of Corpus Christi recently contracted with a San Antonio environmental firm to conduct Lead-based paint assessments by XRF on elderly folks homes, with limited federal funding they (city) were granted. Regardless of how many layers of paint exist - when the structure undergoes renovation and dust is created, the law applies.

As a matter of fact, I have a very good friend (of 20 years), a C.I.H. at H.U.D in Washington D.C., who would be happy to take a call from Seasick. He is a division director.

OHHLHC Staff Directory - HUD

Seasick, if you would like to speak with him I'll put you in contact at his office, toll free. I'm in daily email contact with him concerning music/culture, it's no problem.

Rust

Old 04-22-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
http://www.fsa.usda.gov/Internet/FSA...pactof1992.pdf

The City of Corpus Christi recently contracted with a San Antonio environmental firm to conduct Lead-based paint assessments by XRF on elderly folks homes, with limited federal funding they (city) were granted. Regardless of how many layers of paint exist - when the structure undergoes renovation and dust is created, the law applies.

As a matter of fact, I have a very good friend (of 20 years), a C.I.H. at H.U.D in Washington D.C., who would be happy to take a call from Seasick. He is a division director.

OHHLHC Staff Directory - HUD

Seasick, if you would like to speak with him I'll put you in contact at his office, toll free. I'm in daily email contact with him concerning music/culture, it's no problem.

Rust

Seasick, look in your direct messages box. I just spoke with him, he's expecting your call.

Rust

Old 04-22-2015, 09:46 AM

999 posts, read 1,495,163 times
Many times I walked Paloma to Ocean to get to the beach. The housing and residents seem to be a bit mixed, but it's not the worst street and I felt mostly safe. But I never went walking in the wee hours, only early in the morning and evening until about 9pm. In that neighborhood I had a bit of a problem with a pack of stray chihuahuas and some sketchy folks on Monette. I think there may be some rental properties there and not-so-careful screening by property owners. Normandy Village has been remodeled since I lived in the area (apartments on the corner of Airline and Alameda), they raised the rents and I'm guessing there is a better clientele living there. Although I met some very nice older folks on my walks who lived in the old Normandy. But they said they could no longer afford it after the remodel.
If the house on Paloma looks like a good deal and you have an inspection, do all the preventative buyer stuff, I think it could be a good location.
CC has an animal shelter and a few private shelters but don't even think about calling then to pick up a stray. They won't even take them if you bring them to the shelter as there is no space available. Kittens are everywhere right now. Puppies will be everywhere soon.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Seasick, look in your direct messages box. I just spoke with him, he's expecting your call.

Rust
Thank you, Rust Never Sleeps. I will try to call him in the a.m. regarding the lead paint. I hadn't thought of it being a problem for older persons.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
Many times I walked Paloma to Ocean to get to the beach. The housing and residents seem to be a bit mixed, but it's not the worst street and I felt mostly safe. But I never went walking in the wee hours, only early in the morning and evening until about 9pm. In that neighborhood I had a bit of a problem with a pack of stray chihuahuas and some sketchy folks on Monette. I think there may be some rental properties there and not-so-careful screening by property owners. Normandy Village has been remodeled since I lived in the area (apartments on the corner of Airline and Alameda), they raised the rents and I'm guessing there is a better clientele living there. Although I met some very nice older folks on my walks who lived in the old Normandy. But they said they could no longer afford it after the remodel.
If the house on Paloma looks like a good deal and you have an inspection, do all the preventative buyer stuff, I think it could be a good location.
CC has an animal shelter and a few private shelters but don't even think about calling then to pick up a stray. They won't even take them if you bring them to the shelter as there is no space available. Kittens are everywhere right now. Puppies will be everywhere soon.
Oh gosh this is so depressing to hear. I'm not casting aspersions, but it says something (to me) about a community and its veterinarians, when problems are this bad.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
You think?

Are you determined to buy at the top of the market?

Rust
I am careful when I buy a house, and I've always made money when selling. This next house is where I hope to be living until I die. The house prices in Corpus seem miraculous to me, compared to other locales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or