U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 08:50 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,629,619 times

Advertisements

I agree that there's nothing wrong with that area, but it is an older neighborhood and very mixed up. If you see a house you like there, make sure you drive up and down the surrounding streets and know what all your neighbors' properties look like. Some are cute and well kept and some are trashed. It's a wonderful location as far as being convenient to the bayfront, SPID, grocery stores and doctor's offices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 01:09 PM

733 posts, read 698,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I agree that there's nothing wrong with that area, but it is an older neighborhood and very mixed up. If you see a house you like there, make sure you drive up and down the surrounding streets and know what all your neighbors' properties look like. Some are cute and well kept and some are trashed. It's a wonderful location as far as being convenient to the bayfront, SPID, grocery stores and doctor's offices.
Thank you and good advice. I have been using the google street walk (that doesn't sound right), and sometimes there is a torn up house too close, or maybe a hoarder, something bad, anyway! Although the worst most evil neighbor I ever had had a lovely home.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:19 PM

553 posts, read 854,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
>Snip<" I have been using the google street walk (that doesn't sound right), and sometimes there is a torn up house too close, or maybe a hoarder, something bad, anyway! Although the worst most evil neighbor I ever had had a lovely home.

The worlds oldest profession as seen by the latest technology "Google Earth Street Walker View. ?!" This old world just wouldn't be worth living in if it wasn't for happy fools and the odd streetwalkers here and there, imo.

Here's one that followed a streetwalker's dreams and look where it led:

Walk Sydney Streets Photos

And her:
CatronCountyWalk

rust

Old 06-09-2015, 07:02 AM

Very interesting links!

I'd really love to see someone document walking all over Corpus Christi!

Old 06-14-2015, 04:05 PM

16,769 posts, read 42,853,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok

[b]The table above provides a full overview of all reported crimes in Corpus Christi, TX for the year. The sum of recorded criminal acts in Corpus Christi, TX is displayed; for comparisons, each offense is also shown in regards to the amount of offenses per 100,000 people. Along with this, they are separated into multiple categories: violent crimes and property crimes. The crime data reveals that the overall Corpus Christi, TX crime rates are 43% higher than in comparison to the Texas mean and are 69% higher than the nation's mean. In regards to violent offenses, Corpus Christi, TX has a rate that is 50% higher than the Texas average; compared to the United States, it is 67% higher than. Looking at crimes involving property, Corpus Christi, TX is 42% higher than its state's mean, and 70% higher than the country's average.

Crime in Corpus Christi is perhaps a little beyond the de minimis conditions some would tout
You can't learn anything useful by comparing a City's crime rates with the state or national average crime rates, because the later include lots of small rural towns and remote locations where there is very little crime of crime reporting. It is more productive to compare the CC crime rates with other cities of similar size.

According to this FBI data https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ate_%282012%29 The violent crime rate in Corpus puts it at about 36th place in this list of cities with populations of 250,000 or more. With a violent crime rate of 658.1 it is pretty much in the middle of the list, with the highest violent crime rate being Detroit Michigan with a violent crime rate of 2,122.9.

Note that in this 2015 NeighborhoodScout report on the top 100 Most Dangerous Cities, CC does not even make it onto the list.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Austin, TX is considered one of the safest of American cities with a City-Data crime rate of 366. CC has a City-Data crime rate of 407, which is not all that much higher. Odessa, TX which made the 100 Most Dangerous list is rated at 458, Houston is 541.

So all things considered. The crime rate in Corpus Christi is not all that much of a problem when compared to other places.

Last edited by Yac; 06-26-2015 at 05:48 AM..

Old 06-14-2015, 05:01 PM

[quote=CptnRn;40019166 So all things considered. The crime rate in Corpus Christi is not all that much of a problem when compared to other places.[/QUOTE]

When I took statistics, in the Jurassic Period, most students started with this book:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to...ith_Statistics

Remember the symbol for Standard Deviation is σ (the Greek letter sigma).

I know NPR has a program called "All Things Considered" I sometimes listen myself but I'm watchful with the word "All" . . .that's a whole lot to consider. My considered response would be to watch the local Corpus Christi TV channels and see what the facts are for yourself.

It's those standard deviates that get you

Old 06-14-2015, 05:56 PM

16,769 posts, read 42,853,408 times
Every area has some crime. Local TV news channels don't tell you anything useful regarding how extensive a problem is in an area. They are nothing more than anecdotal information. What gets reported on any given day depends on what is the most sensational news they can find or make up to report, sell advertising and improve their ratings. A few gang bangers shot each other, boo-hoo. That does not mean the city is a dangerous place to live.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Every area has some crime. Local TV news channels don't tell you anything useful regarding how extensive a problem is in an area. They are nothing more than anecdotal information. What gets reported on any given day depends on what is the most sensational news they can find or make up to report, sell advertising and improve their ratings. A few gang bangers shot each other, boo-hoo. That does not mean the city is a dangerous place to live.
Thanks for explaining how the news works and useless anecdotal information You must realize I'm a senior citizen with significant disabilities. I accept the fact my mind could be going too. I woke up this morning, watched the news in our brave new world and reflected. I took comfort in your words regarding useless information to improve ratings, etc. sell stuff. We get so tired of someone trying to sell us their whatever, the beg-A-thons and request for donations.

This old world is turning faster these days. Seniors like me find it more difficult to Keep Up With The Kardashians and stuff. I most often try and keep things simple, note I didn't say "always". Life used to be simple, Here Today, Gone Tomorrow. We next entered the Age of Chicken Today, Feathers Tomorrow.
Anecdotal information indicates we may be entering the Age of Jack Today, Jill Tomorrow.

"O Captain! My Captain!" ( I stole that from Walt Whitman ) is that Useless Anecdotal Information or an extended metaphor?

Help me out here Captain.

Rust

Old 06-16-2015, 01:12 PM

I live in Odessa and find it bizarre that they are saying Odessa is the most violent city in Texas. I just can't fathom it, and I'm not some "Odessa Booster," I'm trying to move to a place that is pretty. So I find the method of determining the "violence" to be suspect, if Odessa is supposedly worse than Houston, Beaumont, and other places I've lived that were SCARY!

Old 06-16-2015, 02:14 PM

86,068 posts, read 75,440,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
I live in Odessa and find it bizarre that they are saying Odessa is the most violent city in Texas. I just can't fathom it, and I'm not some "Odessa Booster," I'm trying to move to a place that is pretty. So I find the method of determining the "violence" to be suspect, if Odessa is supposedly worse than Houston, Beaumont, and other places I've lived that were SCARY!
LOL..if Odessa is the most violent city in Texas then the entire state is open to you as a "safer place to live".

Crime is relative. Usually happens in pocket neighborhoods, "bad sections" of town.
When scoping out a new place, go to a local diner, the library, the local newspaper..find one of the older women that work there and just ask "I'm thinking of moving here. Where is the bad section of town that I should stay away from".

That works for me. No details except for "Stay away from the area behind Pizza Hut" or "Don't go past the creek." which is good enough for me.

You've posted about Rockport. I've been there 3 times on short vacations. The place is pretty in my eyes but that could be relative as well.
Others like Port A or South Padre. Port A is too touristy, South Padre too yuppish for my tastes. Rockport is a gem that hasn't been totally discovered yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or