Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 07:42 AM

811 posts, read 1,147,741 times

Advertisements

I'm afraid I'm throwing a loaded gun up in the air, but I'm a potential home purchaser who is feeling alarmed at the data (including recent environmental crimes cases) surrounding water quality and refinery pollution (benzene and other lovely things). I know these threads have made some mention of this stuff, some with good info for a start, but I'm also looking for some specific info about exact areas and the lay of the land in CC, not for emotionally-charged opinions (though I know this is a tempting subject matter for them).

Are there areas that are safer in regards to air and water quality than others?

What areas are down-wind from refineries and where are the refineries located?

Are the island areas (Flour Bluff, S Padre, Port A) affected by this muck in any way, shape or form? How about Portland?

Thanks for any specific info that you have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 02:51 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Most of the industrial areas around Corpus are on the North side of town along the South shore of the Nueces Bay. With the exception of December and January (when the wind is mostly out of the North) the predominate wind direction for Corpus is out of the Southeast. So most of the year Corpus would get very little if anything blown in from the industrial areas.

There is little doubt that the Island areas, SE of Corpus get the most favorable breezes from off shore over the gulf.

Water monitoring at Cole Park and Ropes Park beaches, along the Corpus side of the CC Bay and OSO Bay on the south side of CC, has indicated higher than desirable levels of bacteria and a project has been implemented to reduce those levels. https://www.tceq.texas.gov/assets/pu...sbeachespo.pdf

Air Quality is about average in CC. See specific data here //www.city-data.com/city/Corpus-Christi-Texas.html

Old 03-21-2015, 07:22 PM

268 posts, read 357,693 times
I guess you shouldnt watch the Netflix movie Tapped.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:15 PM

I'm not sure what my questions have to do with bottled water? I've been on the anti-bottled-water bandwagon since long before there was a bandwagon. That's a large part of why I care about what's coming out of the tap. Thanks for the movie tip though!

Old 03-23-2015, 09:39 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
I'm not sure what my questions have to do with bottled water? I've been on the anti-bottled-water bandwagon since long before there was a bandwagon. That's a large part of why I care about what's coming out of the tap. Thanks for the movie tip though!
The reason the poster mentioned Tapped is that it features one of the refineries that makes a product that goes into the plastic bottles.

The refineries are on the north end of CC and the wind blows from the south most of the time. You only smell the refineries when a norther blows through.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:37 PM

552 posts, read 1,056,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The reason the poster mentioned Tapped is that it features one of the refineries that makes a product that goes into the plastic bottles.
Specifically, Paraxylene.

https://www.globalpolicy.org/social-...101/46073.html

Old 03-29-2015, 09:55 PM

268 posts, read 357,693 times
My apologies for being so facetious
I was inferring that you may change your mind about moving to Corpus if you watch that documentary

Old 04-02-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dihappy View Post
My apologies for being so facetious
I was inferring that you may change your mind about moving to Corpus if you watch that documentary
No need to apologize, dihappy. LOL! This move is not up for negotiation, whether I like it or not. It's happening and it's a 4-5 year stay. I'm fully aware of all cons, pros, cons, and more cons, that come with the CC area. That's why I worded the post the way I did. Just trying to avoid the worst of it and make the best of it, including finding a home in a place that is not toxic during our stay. Thanks for the heads up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi