U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2015, 12:58 AM

51 posts, read 58,967 times

Advertisements

Will be moving there pretty soon, TAMUCC. Been here for vacation before, but what's it like to live here? Are apartments really expensive? BTW, I already live in TX, so I know what the weather is like year round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 11:46 AM

999 posts, read 1,501,551 times
The apartments are expensive for what you get in Corpus Christi. A one-bedroom in a nice and safe area is going to run $700-800/month plus utilities. Water runs me about $25-30, internet only ( no cable tv or phone) is $40, electric averages about $75 as you will have either AC or heat most months. Try to find an apartment that is on the bus route for TAMUCC and you will save big on gas and parking. Just because they issue you a parking permit does not mean there is a parking spot available on campus when you need to be there. Gas is cheap here but the wear and tear on your car, door dings from the parking lot crowd, etc is not worth commuting. Also, the parking permit is not free and touring the campus daily looking for a parking spot can be time consuming. The bus routes run at least every 30 minutes, more often it seems during peak hours. I've never had a problem with the bus option in two years here. On the other hand, my roommate regularly complains about parking tickets because she can't find a parking spot and ended up parking in a place that she is not permitted for.

Your utility costs will be determined by the complex you live in as there is usually only one cable company and one water company that serves a particular complex. You can choose your electric but I've not heard good things about AEP. Also try to stay away from the really old or poorly built apartments since they don't have much insulation and that will drive up your AC and heating costs significantly. Most of the better and closer apartments are along Ennis Joslin. Camden also has some nicer apartments with a bit more of a commute.

TAMUCC really does not have a housing office that can help you with apartments so you will be on your own. I would advise a weekend trip down here to scout out and tour apartments that you like. What they advertise on the internet is very different from the actual surrounding sometimes. Lastly, think twice about taking over someone's lease. If ou do, be sure it is all above board and meet with the apartment staff to be sure everything is legal.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:46 PM

733 posts, read 700,481 times
I joined to ask about the CC area and specifically about apartments for my son, who will attend TAMUCC. This is kind of daunting to hear. The prices seem very high.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:44 PM

999 posts, read 1,501,551 times
Another option is off campus student housing like Islander Village or Campus Quarters. There is a shared kitchen and living room with 2-4 bed/bath units attached. Each bed/bath unit has a locking door. And the prices are bit more reasonable with one flat fee that includes rent and utilities. The complexes have the usual amenities like pools and gyms. Also, if one if the suite mates moves out, the remaining students do not have to pay more for their units.

The hazard of renting in a traditional complex is that the kids tend to get 2-4 of them together to afford it. Then someone gets into a pissing match with the other roommates. But no one wants to tell the problem roommate to move because then they will have to split the costs amongst fewer of them. It is really difficult to find roommates since the university does nothing to assist with housing.

If your student is moving to CC from out of town I would suggest that you pick about a dozen complexes to look at and then come down for a weekend. Be sure to look at the office hours as not all apartment offices are open to show you their models on Sundays. There are probably half that ou will drive by and decide the neighborhood or age of buildings are not what you are looking for. Then of the remaining ones that you look at you will find that the pictures online are not quite like the actual apartments. Hopefully the ones you do like will have openings when your student needs to move in. And in all likelihood, a parent will need to go along on this trip as rarely woud a student be able to financially qualify for the apartments. They will need a parent to co-sign the lease with them.

I also suggest if your student is not from the area to move in at least 2-4 weeks before classes actually start. Although you will be paying for the extra time, this will give your student time to figure out things like grocery shopping, commuting on the bus to campus, how to find the student health center, the gym, etc. And in their spare time they can go to the beach or some of the other fun things before school starts.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:24 AM

733 posts, read 700,481 times
Thank you for the information, especially about the how the dorms are set up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or