Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 02:36 AM

552 posts, read 1,055,987 times

Advertisements

Five (5) people showed up! He was wearing his special custom-made House of Representatives khaki shirt with supersized soft drink.

Congressman Farenthold visits Gonzales - Gonzales Inquirer: News

Last May he introduced H.R. 4686, a bill calling for the removal of a part of Mustang Island, from the Coastal Barrier Resources System (CBRS), which restricts development on protected coastal areas that serve as buffers to storms and important ecological zones. Areas in the coastal system can’t receive federally-subsidized flood insurance through the controversial National Flood Insurance Program, including Tortuga Dunes, an “ultra-luxury, master-planned community” under development on Mustang Island.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-...bill/4686/text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Five (5) people showed up! He was wearing his special custom-made House of Representatives khaki shirt with supersized soft drink.

Congressman Farenthold visits Gonzales - Gonzales Inquirer: News

Last May he introduced H.R. 4686, a bill calling for the removal of a part of Mustang Island, from the Coastal Barrier Resources System (CBRS), which restricts development on protected coastal areas that serve as buffers to storms and important ecological zones. Areas in the coastal system can’t receive federally-subsidized flood insurance through the controversial National Flood Insurance Program, including Tortuga Dunes, an “ultra-luxury, master-planned community” under development on Mustang Island.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-...bill/4686/text
Just in case anyone reads Mr. Farenthold's H.R. 4686 and senses the onset of sudden cardiac arrest . . . don't worry it didn't pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uj1o3p-Wmg

Actually, I have more concerns for B.F.'s choice in Khaki and beverage.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Does this man want the Texas coast to end up looking like the Florida coast ?

Wall to wall condos and private homes with nary a way for us peons to get to the water.

Texas needs to cherish that undeveloped land and protect it because once it is lost you can NEVER get it back.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Wall to wall condos and private homes with nary a way for us peons to get to the water.

eeds to cherish that undeveloped land and protect it because once it is lost you can NEVER get it backTexas n.
Your question requires intense speculation on my part. Unlike some C-D posters, I'm not insightful enough to begin mind-reading. Perhaps it was what Forestar wanted before oil/gas went south. Look at their recent history, stock down from $20. to $13. something. Their oil guru left last Dec.

The lure of the sand and the freedom of the beach/gulf is powerful, sunny places for peons and shady people alike. Now that the JFK causeway has been raised, with safer and easy access "for the people" . . .as opposed to flooding in the past, those people will bring more infrastructure with them. The people need grocery stores, shopping malls, fast food. . .well, you know, all the stuff folks want as expressed here on C-D. It does not take a mind-reader to know with that additional "Political Power" North Padre Island could rapidly eclipse South Padre Island.

Happy Texan, are you an obstructionist like that **** Rust? Be warned, sometimes if you express a different view and they can not refute you. . .you might be labeled a Troll.

Another thing, "NEVER get it back" don't kid yourself, when Mother Nature wants it she'll take it back and throw the U.S.S. Lexington in the middle of Whataburger Field to boot. Those Sand Artists, slab on grade homes with expansive glass walls, for the view on Padre, will become dust in the wind. Sans sandcastles, Dust into Dust, and under Dust to lie, Sans Wine, sans Song, sans Singer.

Consider, the one thing that would benefit all Corpus Christians, a Costco store, and they can't get one, riddle me that?

Note: Sans from: The Internet Classics Archive | The Rubaiyat by Omar Khayyam

and--sans End!

Rust

Old 06-01-2015, 07:14 AM

733 posts, read 853,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Texas needs to cherish that undeveloped land and protect it because once it is lost you can NEVER get it back.
Absolutely right!

Old 06-01-2015, 07:17 AM

Rust, I wish a Trader Joe's would also be placed in Corpus Christi, along with the Costco.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:00 AM

11 posts, read 15,613 times
Texas beaches will always be accessible to the public via the Open Beaches Act. In fact in Texas, the public can drive their vehicles on the beach. Padre Island National Seashore has 62 miles of open beach. In fact, that is the longest stretch of untouched navigable beach in the country. Since the majority of land on North Padre Island is privately owned, it is a possibility that it will be developed one day. Like it or not, that is the right of the property owner to sell or build.

Costco was/is in talks with a private landowner to purchase and build a store in Corpus.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINS View Post
Texas beaches will always be accessible to the public via the Open Beaches Act. In fact in Texas, the public can drive their vehicles on the beach. Padre Island National Seashore has 62 miles of open beach. In fact, that is the longest stretch of untouched navigable beach in the country. Since the majority of land on North Padre Island is privately owned, it is a possibility that it will be developed one day. Like it or not, that is the right of the property owner to sell or build. <
I'm not interested in spending much time batting this around nor do I disagree on your points. I fancy myself as knowing a bit about PINS, which I loved.

Yes, I know something about the privately held land on N. Padre. The devil is always in the details, is it not?

Here is that detail. In late 2005 Vancouver-based Intrawest Corp. and Austin developer Paul Schexnailder
signed a letter of intent to build the first phase of a $1.5 billion resort on the land adjacent to Packery Channel. According to the CC Caller Times "Intrawest is big player in snow, sand & public beach access restrictions"

That generated local controversy "because Schexnailder has said the project is feasible only if the 7,400 feet of beach between Packery Channel and Padre Balli County Park is converted to pedestrian-only beach."

"The City Council took what is anticipated to be the first step Wednesday, rescinding a recent ordinance that banned traffic along the 4,200-foot Padre Island seawall. The move clears the way for a new ordinance - possibly one that creates the 7,400 feet of beach Schexnailder says is needed for the resort.

A group of residents called the Beach Access Coalition circulated a petition following the previous ordinance that banned traffic along the seawall. The group has said it will start a new petition against any new ordinance the council passes to restrict traffic on the island's beaches."

Just for starters, o.k.

Deep in PINS, along the cut-banks in Big Shell, has given me some of the best – and worst – days and nights of my life, and for both, I will *always be thankful. . .which according to my doctors, may not be all that long . . .

* Always is one of those magic words. Remember, Everything changes and nothing stands still. you can never wade in the same surf twice. . .or whatever Buba Heraclitus' famous phrase was back in 535 BC – 475 BC. If I recall correctly, Plato repeated Buba's famous river in his Cratylus.

PINS, I noted you said "Always" so I merely point out that "Always" is not forever, we must be watchful of our freedoms and Remember Lajitas: The Last Resort | Texas Monthly

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/29/op...ml?ref=opinion

Rust

[quote]"Costco was/is in talks with a private landowner to purchase and build a store in Corpus./QUOTE]

Yes, I followed that closely, maybe not as closely as I did the bringing of the "Hooks" to Whataburger Field, also in 2005.

I hear it's a tough nut to crack. I also hear there's a lot of tar and tar balls in the surf right now. Let the coming Sargassum mix up with those Mexican souvenirs and you'll have another mess on your hands.

Which reminds me, Hurricane Week, was last week and nary a word was said. If I recall correctly, if you wait too long to evacuate the Coast Bend - it can take 13 hours to drive form Portland, TX to Beeville in the exodus.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
Rust, I wish a Trader Joe's would also be placed in Corpus Christi, along with the Costco.
I like TJ's and Whole Foods, elitist be they may, I was thinking in terms of the Common Good - a specific "good" that is shared and beneficial for all or most members of a given community.

I sometimes muse about having been the mayor of CC for one term. It would sure be nice to see one of those old time CC mayors like Roy Miller who could make the city work for the people. Just one understanding kind person to do their duty for the simple good of all.

Btw, you do know I once lived on the plaza in Old Mesilla?

Old 06-01-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINS View Post
Texas beaches will always be accessible to the public via the Open Beaches Act. In fact in Texas, the public can drive their vehicles on the beach. Padre Island National Seashore has 62 miles of open beach. In fact, that is the longest stretch of untouched navigable beach in the country. Since the majority of land on North Padre Island is privately owned, it is a possibility that it will be developed one day. Like it or not, that is the right of the property owner to sell or build.

Costco was/is in talks with a private landowner to purchase and build a store in Corpus.
Yay!

Maybe Trader Joe's will follow...and some non-HEB groceries...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi