U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 04:50 PM

287 posts, read 482,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
It appears you would put words in my mouth. Where have I said anyone ought to be scared?

(All 6 of us reading this)

Going back 20 years is nothing at my age. In fact, I recall it was more than 20 years ago when Tiger mosquitoes first arrived in Houston. I well recall reading about that, big news at the time, approx. 1984.
So now you want to parse snakebites into "significant snake bites" -vs- "Fatal"?

Antivenom FAQ - Poison Center Tampa

Hell, I've been retired almost 20 years
Well, every SINGLE thing you post on here is negative (except for rose colored glasses views of the olden days). Thus, you appear to try to "inform" people by scaring them about snakes, mosquitoes, crime, or whatever.

20 years might not be much at your age, but it is huge when you think about public health.

Thanks for confirming what I mentioned about coral snake antivenom. It's almost like I know what I'm talking about, unlike some people.

Great, enjoy retirement, and stop worrying about the little things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 06:39 PM

553 posts, read 855,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mcninja View Post
Well, every SINGLE thing you post on here is negative (except for rose colored glasses views of the olden days). Thus, you appear to try to "inform" people by scaring them about snakes, mosquitoes, crime, or whatever.

20 years might not be much at your age, but it is huge when you think about public health.

Thanks for confirming what I mentioned about coral snake antivenom. It's almost like I know what I'm talking about, unlike some people.

Great, enjoy retirement, and stop worrying about the little things.
Geeze, you exaggerate.

It's the little things that get you.

When a man tells me cottonmouths don't eat frogs . . .I sorta' look at em' funny. It's as simple as that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

I'm finished with this thread, it's pointless.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:26 AM

733 posts, read 699,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
Back visiting friends near TAMUCC and the mosquitoes are horrific. We don't walk the dogs or even go to the garbage dumpster without spraying ourselves with DEET. The dog is covered with at least a dozen mosquitoes in just a few minutes outside. And I've seen a lot more ant hills around too.
OH NO! I get busy and don't check threads, and then ALL THIS!~Ugh! Sounds bad!!!

Old 06-30-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mcninja View Post
I didn't say you said what snake, I said that the snakes in her yard weren't venomous. Then you posted about copperheads, cottonmouths, and the massasauga (not mentioning if you meant desert or western) specifically.
All I was trying to do is teach people that the hysteria about snakes is misguided, and that the ones in their yards are not likely to hurt them.
Since we don't live in Brazoria, nor are we in their downstream effluent, I'm not sure that I care how many copperheads are removed from a house there.
The Kleberg article mentions that they treat 4 patients per year. While not zero, not a huge public health concern either. The majority of people bitten aren't walking through their yards. They are drunk, young males who pick them up and mess with them. There's a saying about the 5 T's of snakebites. No Teeth, lots of Tattoos, Testosterone, inToxicated, and owning a Truck.
All the bird flu outbreak has done so far in our country is limit our eggs. I keep it on the radar, but don't worry until it actually affects humans.
This is similar to my friends in NC. Many of them are calling for culls in the sharks (similar to what we do with the rattlesnake roundups here in Texas, which are terrible). Simply put, no sharks have killed anybody in NC this year, and only a handful in the last 100 have died. More people have died from Tylenol (458 deahts/year across the US) in NC than from sharks, and more people have died from Tylenol in TX than have died from snakebites (~1/year). People need to stop engendering fear, and the news is a big part of it with sensationalist media.
For the record, while I know Tim, to call him a local expert is a bit of a stretch. He was simply the person there when the news came by. I know this because I too have been asked to speak on things that I'm not an expert in, but instead because I was there the day the cameras were there. Don't put too much stock in what the local, regional, or even national news says without digging into it. Mark, on the other hand, is an expert in snake husbandry, but isn't as familiar with the clinical aspects of snakebites. He and I are friends, and I go to him about snakes behavior often.
I appreciate your remarks.

The "5 T's" cracked me up.

But it does seem scary to me. My dogs have the rattlesnake shots, but they don't have cottonmouth shots, which probably don't exist.

- - -

I hope hard feelings due to different thoughts and perceptions don't kill this thread or any thread. I have very much appreciated all information, and I think both views (scary vs not-scary) have a place in an informed decision. I can see both sides of how people view the mosquitoes, snakes, etc.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
But it does seem scary to me. My dogs have the rattlesnake shots, but they don't have cottonmouth shots, which probably don't exist.
Sadly, no. Although there are still conflicting views on whether the vaccine is all that helpful. If I used my dog regularly in rattlesnake areas I would probably get it though.
It's interesting that the company that makes the vaccine reports that it has partial protection for copperheads, but no protection from cottonmouths. Thats hard to rationalize, when they're both of the Agkistrodon genus. Sure, there might be a little difference between amino acid sequences (even in the same species), but two of the same genus are much more similar than those of a completely different genus (rattlesnakes-Crotalus and Sistrurus).
It probably has more to do with observations regarding the potency of the venom, cottonmouths pack more in a bite than copperheads. Dogs bitten by copperheads simply do better than those bitten by cottonmouths.

Dog antivenom is expensive, but cheap compared to human antivenom, at least in this country.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
We notice opinions differ:

According to DrNinga:

"For the record, while I know Tim, to call him a local expert is a bit of a stretch. He was simply the person there when the news came by. I know this because I too have been asked to speak on things that I'm not an expert in, but instead because I was there the day the cameras were there. Don't put too much stock in what the local, regional, or even national news says without digging into it. Mark, on the other hand, is an expert in snake husbandry, but isn't as familiar with the clinical aspects of snakebites. He and I are friends, and I go to him about snakes behavior often."
Not sure what opinion differed there. You sure move the goalposts a lot. I said they're trying to find prey, he said they're trying to find prey and mate. I'm so wrong I should mail back my diploma.
Also, if Tim is such an expert, then why is the only time he's ever talked about snakes been that one time on the local news? Surely you can find some other example of him speaking about snakebites at some other venue.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:25 PM

I'm still reeling from finding out that the mosquitoes are so bad that even venturing into the alley is a real chore and needs DEET. I have two people I take care of and no way could they handle that (one very old, one with disabilities). I want the ocean! But not the mosquitoes and scary critters! Yes, every thing comes with a price, and I guess that's one price. And sometimes it IS the "little things" that are the deal breakers!!!

Old 06-30-2015, 03:53 PM

15,246 posts, read 17,637,971 times
Quote:
I'm still reeling from finding out that the mosquitoes are so bad that even venturing into the alley is a real chore and needs DEET. I have two people I take care of and no way could they handle that (one very old, one with disabilities). I want the ocean! But not the mosquitoes and scary critters! Yes, every thing comes with a price, and I guess that's one price. And sometimes it IS the "little things" that are the deal breakers!!!
I have spent the last week working in my back yard after work and have gotten one mosquito bite. Like I said above, I think that the city must have sprayed.

Since you're so on the fence about moving here, I think you should rent a place and live here for a year to make up your mind. This area has its good points and bad points, but it's not the lawless, steamy, dangerous jungle place that is sometimes described here. If I'm not mistaken, you live in Odessa, which has its share of obstacles to be dealt with. No place is perfect, but I don't think CC is any more difficult a place to live than Odessa.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:20 PM

553 posts, read 855,278 times
Quote:

- - -

I hope hard feelings due to different thoughts and perceptions don't kill this thread or any thread. I have very much appreciated all information, and I think both views (scary vs not-scary) have a place in an informed decision. I can see both sides of how people view the mosquitoes, snakes, etc.
I wouldn't concern myself too much with cottonmouths biting your dog. Maybe if you lived along Up River Road or the far southside near Oso Creek there might be a chance. Think about it, a snake wouldn't stand a chance in CC traffic. Mosquitoes are a different story, vectors with wings.

Most facts can be disputed, people may hold alternative opinions. There are many colors in the prism through which people see information. What is required is facts and citations to support your stance.

You will note, I provide source information, a link to a creditable source. Often are found uncomfortable truths, truths which challenges our view of life, value system or ego attachments.

Most often, like politics, it boils down to "Get those dogs out and put my dogs in".

Rust

Old 06-30-2015, 07:54 PM

999 posts, read 1,496,661 times
I think the mosquitoes may be particularly bad in certain places due to things like standing water, etc. I happened to be staying with a friend in an apartment complex where it seems they might be watering the lawns pretty often. Also there were two pools and a hot tub, more breeding grounds for the little buggers. In addition to the daily thunderstorms, that's a lot of water around. There was some constant puddling of rain water and irrigation water puddling under bushes.
I also visited a friend who lives near the LaPalmera mall and they still have standing water in the back yard so they have lots of mosquitoes as well as frogs right now!
But I really think the mosquito thing may be very localized. If there is any standing water, overgrown lawns, frequent watering...there is going to be more bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or