U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-01-2015, 01:31 AM
 
Location: Smithville, TX
553 posts, read 854,949 times
Reputation: 501

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
I'm still reeling from finding out that the mosquitoes are so bad that even venturing into the alley is a real chore and needs DEET. I have two people I take care of and no way could they handle that (one very old, one with disabilities). I want the ocean! But not the mosquitoes and scary critters! Yes, every thing comes with a price, and I guess that's one price. And sometimes it IS the "little things" that are the deal breakers!!!
I've noticed the CC Caller-Times sometimes doesn't publish those "Little Things", for reasons known only to them.

A friend, who reads our happy little forum, just sent me this from the Amarillo paper.

Ex-PD coach James battles serious infection | Amarillo Globe-News

Beach Water Safety Concerns? | PlayInPortA.com

No doubt I will be accused and labeled as a fear-monger, again. That's all right, I'm a big boy and you can bet I've been through more extreme circumstances than petty chit-chat can offer.

Dr. Magda Havas, PhD » Musing #2: Truth Speaking vs Fear Mongering

Rust
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2015, 09:07 AM
 
999 posts, read 1,495,677 times
Reputation: 1662
Just sayin' in the two years I lived in CC I never went in the water, nor allowed my dog to either. But this would be my answer to any place that has refineries, shipping channels, and drilling platforms. There is just too much of a risk of contamination in the water. These are not "clean" industries.

I was thinking that the recent bacteria issue may have to do with the recent flooding. I have heard that some of the flooding in town resulted in spilled sewage. So if that were true in most of the areas that flooded upstream as well,...all water flows to the bay.

I think the beaches in CC and Port A are very nice. But the water, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2015, 09:33 AM
 
15,246 posts, read 17,634,337 times
Reputation: 25492
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
Just sayin' in the two years I lived in CC I never went in the water, nor allowed my dog to either. But this would be my answer to any place that has refineries, shipping channels, and drilling platforms. There is just too much of a risk of contamination in the water. These are not "clean" industries.

I was thinking that the recent bacteria issue may have to do with the recent flooding. I have heard that some of the flooding in town resulted in spilled sewage. So if that were true in most of the areas that flooded upstream as well,...all water flows to the bay.

I think the beaches in CC and Port A are very nice. But the water, not so much.
Bacteria increases in the bay every time we have flooding because every nasty thing, including lots of animal feces, is washed into the storm sewers and into the bay. That Gulf is another story and generally does not have the same issues because City storm water does not run into it. I don't swim in the bay at all, but I'm happy to swim in the Gulf. As far as the bacteria in the Gulf that you hear about fisherman getting, I think it's naturally occurring, but I could be wrong about that.

The same thing happens in Austin. When they get a heavy rain, Barton Springs closes because the bacteria count is too high. I'm sure it happens in many other places as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2015, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Smithville, TX
553 posts, read 854,949 times
Reputation: 501
The droppings of ubiquitous grackle mobs, pigeons, seagulls, rats, roaches, human blood (car wrecks) and homeless human waste which degrades into dust until that cocktail is washed out to Corpus Christi Bay, or CC's Wet Landfill - as some now call it. I think anyone caught dumping a diaper or personal hygiene products ought to be fined significantly.

On a brighter note, those students who planted flowers in the pot holes found a unique way in calling attention to the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2015, 02:15 PM
 
549 posts, read 354,177 times
Reputation: 1110
They used to do e coli testing in the bay instead of the bacteria they do now. They changed because e coli can be dna tested to find out what animal it is from. There was a big deal 10 years ago about how "polluted" the Marina was because of high e coli numbers. Turns out when they dna tested the numbers had skyrocketed because the number of brown pelicans had skyrocketed due to the ban on the chemical that eats their shells. In short the increase wasn't from humans it was from a formerly endangered species rebounding in population. The whole issue quietly went away and now has come back as bacteria testing which can't be assigned a species.

The bay shoreline areas are only bad right after a rain and even then just around Cole and Ropes parks. A few days after a rain and they are fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2015, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Corpus Christi
287 posts, read 482,362 times
Reputation: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
I've noticed the CC Caller-Times sometimes doesn't publish those "Little Things", for reasons known only to them.
A friend, who reads our happy little forum, just sent me this from the Amarillo paper.
Ex-PD coach James battles serious infection | Amarillo Globe-News
Beach Water Safety Concerns? | PlayInPortA.com
No doubt I will be accused and labeled as a fear-monger, again. That's all right, I'm a big boy and you can bet I've been through more extreme circumstances than petty chit-chat can offer.
Dr. Magda Havas, PhD » Musing #2: Truth Speaking vs Fear Mongering
Rust
Yep, sepsis has been a problem for more than a decade, and I can produce thousands of papers about the dangers of saltwater and brackish water cuts. Vibrio, Aeromonas, Pseudomonas, the list goes on. What, you think this is new?

You're using an EMF nutjob to prove your point?

I agree that the caller-times is worth less than the paper it's printed on, and is a waste of internet bandwidth. I don't expect them to survive much longer.

Last edited by Dr.Mcninja; 07-01-2015 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2015, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Smithville, TX
553 posts, read 854,949 times
Reputation: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope48 View Post
They used to do e coli testing in the bay instead of the bacteria they do now. They changed because e coli can be dna tested to find out what animal it is from. There was a big deal 10 years ago about how "polluted" the Marina was because of high e coli numbers. Turns out when they dna tested the numbers had skyrocketed because the number of brown pelicans had skyrocketed due to the ban on the chemical that eats their shells. In short the increase wasn't from humans it was from a formerly endangered species rebounding in population. The whole issue quietly went away and now has come back as bacteria testing which can't be assigned a species.

The bay shoreline areas are only bad right after a rain and even then just around Cole and Ropes parks. A few days after a rain and they are fine.
WTF. . . Endangered Feces And zinc levels now?

Rust
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2015, 06:47 AM
 
733 posts, read 699,053 times
Reputation: 1884
We had a summer place in Florida when I was growing up.

We never even heard of anyone getting sick from bacteria.

Ignorance is bliss, maybe, or is this all new, these bad bacteria getting people?

*sigh*

I wish for the days when people could just move some place. Just pick up and move. There weren't crazy real estate prices (excepting things like Manhattan, etc.), crime was not yet out of control, schools gave pretty decent educations, there were jobs. Useless wish, but I wish it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2015, 10:23 AM
 
15,246 posts, read 17,634,337 times
Reputation: 25492
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
We had a summer place in Florida when I was growing up.

We never even heard of anyone getting sick from bacteria.

Ignorance is bliss, maybe, or is this all new, these bad bacteria getting people?

*sigh*

I wish for the days when people could just move some place. Just pick up and move. There weren't crazy real estate prices (excepting things like Manhattan, etc.), crime was not yet out of control, schools gave pretty decent educations, there were jobs. Useless wish, but I wish it.
I truly believe that things were not much different "then" than they are now. But now we have so much information at our fingertips that it is overwhelming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2015, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Smithville, TX
553 posts, read 854,949 times
Reputation: 501
Hunting the Nightmare Bacteria | FRONTLINE | PBS

A belief is neither fact or opinion, it is a belief. A belief is a conviction based on cultural, personal faith, morality, or values. Beliefs are inarguable.

In 1960, oysters were harvested on the northwest side of Nueces Bay, an extension of Corpus Christi Bay.

In 1980, it was general knowledge to avoid oysters anywhere in CC bay. CC bay was safe to swim in, even at the marina when folks still lived aboard boats/yachts. HIV was identified in the U.S.A approx. 1983. I can not remember ever hearing the term "Autism" before 1990. In the early 80's I would sometimes babysit/watch young kids after school for friends. Let a few years pass an I wouldn't think of being around a child alone.

In 1995, the Texas State Health Dept. closed oyster harvesting in the area:
http://cbbep.org/publications/virtuallibrary/cc11.pdf

Oyster tissue is contaminated with zinc, and who knows what else. In April I bought an 8 oz. container of raw oysters ( for stew ) it was $9.00.

Things have changed!

In the 60's it was: Here Today Gone Tomorrow.

In the 80's it was: Chicken Today, Feather's Tomorrow.

Today it's: Jack Today, Jill Tomorrow.

I'm firmly convinced we lived in the best of all possible times, in the U.S.A, from 1950-April 1995.

I noted, among lifelong friends in South Texas, the experiences one has there growing up and staying in the same town/city are inevitably quite narrow. This suits many folks perfectly fine. I've had friends say they couldn't stand a life like I led.

When I first came back to the USA I asked "Where are all the kids in the neighborhoods?" I was told they are all inside playing on their X Boxes - Internet. The few kids I saw on bikes were wearing crash helmets
and wholesome looking young girls with brightly colored tattoos . . .seemingly everywhere. And lots of not so wholesome looking girls/women, everywhere.

Yes, the WWW has made a huge impact world wide but in most cases it's merely words/pictures on a screen. In most cases it only produces paper and like most things it depends on how you use it - and do you trust it?

Don't kid yourself, life has changed. In fact, I'm an old, straight, white man who can now start identifying as a
black, Hawaiian, lesbian if I was struck with the notion, and marry anyone I pleased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top