U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 09:37 AM

9,463 posts, read 9,091,353 times

Advertisements

Forgive me is this appears to be a repeat question. I have reviewed several of the Corpus threads and get the idea that in general CC is a pretty good place to live. But I am asking from a concerned fathers viewpoint as my Daughter has decide to move down there this Fall. She is in the process of looking for an apt. and I have now ideas as to where is best. Her BF's parents live on Mustang island but she will not be living with them. Any help. suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 06:27 AM

733 posts, read 698,735 times
Can the boyfriend's parents step up and help her, as they will be more familiar to the area?

There is some recent advise in some threads in the CC forum, about neighborhoods, apartment complexes, and general areas of town. It's very recent, so it will be valid and good to read. I got a lot of excellent info from the kind folks on the CC forum.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:29 PM

548 posts, read 353,656 times
What's her budget like and where is she working or going to school?

Old 06-25-2015, 08:10 AM

Looking at a apartment complex called "The Waters" Looks ok online and is near her workplace. Her BF's folks live on Mustang Island and will look at the area as well but if anyone can comment I would appreciate it!!!

Old 06-25-2015, 11:54 AM

548 posts, read 353,656 times
Crime report on the complex says there have just been a few car break ins and there was one burglary on the block(not sure if it was in the complex) this year. The apartments across the street have had a few assaults. I'm not very familiar with flour bluff apartments so maybe someone else can help you on the specifics. Rent is below average for the city as a whole though. Pictures it looks like they have been improving what is a fairly old property.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:58 AM

999 posts, read 1,494,709 times
The owners of The Waters also own other older properties around town. The older properties will cost her more in utilities because the windows, AC units, furnaces are older. If she moves into a newer apartment, the rent may cost a bit more but she will save even more in utilities. Also not sure if that is a safe neighborhood for a single female. I don't know any of my female colleagues at the university who have chsen to live in Flour Bluff. Most live on the South Side.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
The owners of The Waters also own other older properties around town. The older properties will cost her more in utilities because the windows, AC units, furnaces are older. If she moves into a newer apartment, the rent may cost a bit more but she will save even more in utilities. Also not sure if that is a safe neighborhood for a single female. I don't know any of my female colleagues at the university who have chsen to live in Flour Bluff. Most live on the South Side.

Thanks! Any place in particular you might suggest???

Old 07-09-2015, 09:59 PM

999 posts, read 1,494,709 times
It really depends on her budget. The Shores is pretty budget friendly. Place like Campus Quarters, Sendera, Armon Bay would be close to Flour Bluff and SPID, but a bit more expensive.

What I've learned from renting here is to only accept an apartment that does not face south (utilities bills will be very high for AC), I feel safer with an apartment that is not on the perimeter/ facing the street vs an interior location (our complex has had vehicle break ins always along the street not inside the complex, less noise when not facing street), get a 2nd floor is a must (if a storm happens it will be all about the flooding, safer on the second floor), get renter's insurance (it's really cheap, I used Farmers Ins), try to find one with washer/dryer in the apartment (the communal laundry rooms often have moldy smelling washers and waaayyy too hot dryers, also it's expensive to run a load), never believe that the apartment they finally rent to you will be anything as nice as the "model" apartment where they take you to tour. If I had to do it all again, I would insist on seeing the actual unit I was getting before signing the lease. They make all kinds of excuses about why they can't show it to you.

When looking for an apartment I would stick with the larger complexes as they seem to have better maintenance crews (first place had almost no crew, AC went out, had to wait 4 hours in 90+ degree apartment for repair), nice pools/bbq areas, grounds are kept up, etc. Stay away from people renting out a room or a "garage" apartment. I actually looked at a garage apartment that had the roll up door in the "bedroom", the toilet was in the kitchen (which was a mini-fridge, microwave, and hand sink), a window AC unit, no heat, and shared a door to the main house laundry room with the renter's in the main house...no locking door to the garage unit! And yes, they were getting $600/month for that place.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:49 PM

4 posts, read 4,335 times
I was the daughter 3 years ago. Moved across the country to CC. Corpus is nice. Make sure she stays more towards the south side. It is more expensive, but not terrible. And when it comes to safety, can you really put a price on it? There are a TON of student apartments in the area. I have heard that the Camden Apartments are nice. I never looked personally, because I have a large dog. I would STRONGLY recommend Gulf Breeze Apartments. It is a smaller well kept property. The office staff and maintenance are AMAZING! Will she be going to school here? A&M? Del Mar? There are many apartment complexes on Ennis Joslin. Very nice places. This is close to A&M. Encore Crossing is also a very good looking property. It's located on Holly Rd. I wanted to move there, but the pet policy had a weight limit. Just keep in mind, the south side. I know from experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or