U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-04-2015, 07:36 PM
 
Location: St Thomas, USVI - Seattle, WA - Gulf Coast, TX
811 posts, read 846,246 times
Reputation: 2299

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
Welcome to "island time", especially in the summer! But you are already familiar with that from your previous location.
Ha! You are right, and yes, I am definitely used to it. At least it won't be a shock, and I'll be in Port A (as you've said, even one step closer to "island time/life"). Like we've discussed in prior notes: so much for rejoining "civilization!" But, hey, I'll be living 20 minutes from a DSW, have a DISHWASHER (first time in nearly five years; It's going to change my life!), and the produce in the grocery stores will be edible. It's the little things... I'm obviously an easy sell, at this point. I'll miss the natural beauty of the Caribbean both above and below the water, but I'll be back at least every couple of months for work anyway. I hope your dissertation went fabulously! Congrats on becoming a Master!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2015, 07:08 AM
 
733 posts, read 701,005 times
Reputation: 1884
I dunno - I have ROUTINELY seen similar junky "entry-level" houses in poor shape in markets that are popular for some reason - in that they are considered to be a value-added locale. Puget sound (lived there) is one of these. Junky, falling-down homes that owners don't mind sitting on the market literally for a year or more. Just crazy-a$$ places in bad shape to boot. Mold, substandard, ugly, repulsive shiny walls painted by someone on a bad, bad trip. Why are the junky houses priced so high? Because Puget Sound is considered special. Ditto for the Willamette Valley. Ditto for Austin, for Santa Fe, for Asheville, for Charleston - you get the idea. Some places are just considered so special that the homeowners don't feel they have to do anything, fix anything, update anything. CC has the beach, and that's what makes it "special." Many times, these "special places" don't have good employment prospects, but that doesn't stop them from setting insane prices on their hovels. Eventually, someone will buy it, because they just MUST live in the special locale and doesn't have the money to buy anything better. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, so many times.

I thought maybe CC was an exception, but evidently not! Because...it's by the beach! I'm a bit depressed to read these posts, but I'd rather be depressed and wise to it than happy and about to make a huge error. I'll probably buy anyway, but at least this time I won't be SURPRISED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2015, 08:09 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, USVI - Seattle, WA - Gulf Coast, TX
811 posts, read 846,246 times
Reputation: 2299
Seasick, you're absolutely right! Many (most) places have listings that are not serious, just, as you said, sellers throwing something up on the market to see if someone will bite at the high asking price. I think Port A is a prime example of this, due to its market value explosion right now. People are putting broken down shacks on the market for crazy asking prices. While you do find pockets of this behavior everywhere, you do not find the behaviors listed in this article so consistently and across a wide price range as you do in the greater CC area. Even when a place is priced properly, newer (looks nice, shiny and new from the outside) and new on the market, it's often a disaster of messiness, weird decor, and probably a homeowner who chose to stay home to watch TV during the showing, on the inside. It is uniquely weird, plain and simple. Certainly there are pockets and specific homes in the PNW that behave this way, but I can tell you very confidently that this is NOT normal in the Seattle market. Real Estate agents and serious sellers are on their game there. They have to be in order to compete. Unless we were familiar with the Seattle market during very different times or you're talking about some rural areas outside of the city's RE scope, I'm just going to plain disagree with you, as a generality for that location. Many RE agents bring staging and photography services right along with them in their base fees there. It IS different. All that said, I totally agree with your assessment that sellers often haphazardly put places on the market in many places, without wanting to put real effort into actually selling them. I was just totally weirded-out that this was the norm, in a wide price range, in the CC area. There were exceptions, of course, but the majority of houses committed at least several faux pas from the article. Certainly there are plenty of exceptions that I did not see though.

Good luck with your house hunt! Others might have smarter advice for you on how to make that work for your retirement. From my current, albeit preliminary, perspective the high taxes and insurance (among other things) do not make a home in CC a good investment for retirement, but certainly plenty of people have made it happen with success, and just like everything else, you have lots of personal benefits and costs to weight out. I hope you find a place that you love!

Last edited by IslandCityGirl; 07-07-2015 at 08:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2015, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Smithville, TX
553 posts, read 857,299 times
Reputation: 501
Appearance and Reality:

I'm sure you both have seen this house at Ocean Dr. and Doddridge St. in CC.

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@2....97h,-6.43p,1z

The rock Spanish style, red clay tile roof with tower.

Some of you have driven past this house hundreds, if not a thousand times, over your life. Notice anything unusual, see any potential problem? Know any of the history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2015, 04:05 PM
 
9 posts, read 8,420 times
Reputation: 24
Givens: Ada Wilson had a towering ego and a great heart - Caller-Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2015, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Smithville, TX
553 posts, read 857,299 times
Reputation: 501
Bingo!

Frontline: Hunting the Nightmare Bacteria

Will be on PBS tonight @ 8:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2015, 12:03 PM
 
733 posts, read 701,005 times
Reputation: 1884
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
Seasick, you're absolutely right! Many (most) places have listings that are not serious, just, as you said, sellers throwing something up on the market to see if someone will bite at the high asking price. I think Port A is a prime example of this, due to its market value explosion right now. People are putting broken down shacks on the market for crazy asking prices. While you do find pockets of this behavior everywhere, you do not find the behaviors listed in this article so consistently and across a wide price range as you do in the greater CC area. Even when a place is priced properly, newer (looks nice, shiny and new from the outside) and new on the market, it's often a disaster of messiness, weird decor, and probably a homeowner who chose to stay home to watch TV during the showing, on the inside. It is uniquely weird, plain and simple. Certainly there are pockets and specific homes in the PNW that behave this way, but I can tell you very confidently that this is NOT normal in the Seattle market. Real Estate agents and serious sellers are on their game there. They have to be in order to compete. Unless we were familiar with the Seattle market during very different times or you're talking about some rural areas outside of the city's RE scope, I'm just going to plain disagree with you, as a generality for that location. Many RE agents bring staging and photography services right along with them in their base fees there. It IS different. All that said, I totally agree with your assessment that sellers often haphazardly put places on the market in many places, without wanting to put real effort into actually selling them. I was just totally weirded-out that this was the norm, in a wide price range, in the CC area. There were exceptions, of course, but the majority of houses committed at least several faux pas from the article. Certainly there are plenty of exceptions that I did not see though.

Good luck with your house hunt! Others might have smarter advice for you on how to make that work for your retirement. From my current, albeit preliminary, perspective the high taxes and insurance (among other things) do not make a home in CC a good investment for retirement, but certainly plenty of people have made it happen with success, and just like everything else, you have lots of personal benefits and costs to weight out. I hope you find a place that you love!

Sadly, I'm not retired. I have decades yet to work. Grrrr. I take care of a retired person and a young relative.

I mentioned the PNW. I lived in various places there and looked at others there. I saw that crazy behavior all over Kitsap P, Bellingham, Whidbey, and Olympia. I didn't look in Seattle proper bc it was way out of my price range at "entry level." It was just nutty in the areas I've mentioned, with the "homebuilt" shacks and just falling down homes. I don't even understand how they met code, any code. Sometimes a home would look somewhat normal outside (if mossy roofs, mildewed paint, crooked steps and garish colors or NO PAINT is "normal"), and then you get inside and it's completely freaky. Saw so many "entry level" places that didn't even have heat. Not even a stove! In the PNW! I lived in Santa Fe, saw the lunacy there, right across the board. Lived in Austin, saw it begin, got out, and recently was offered job there but after seeing the lunacy again, turned it down. It's especially galling to me in CC, because geez, the insurances and property tax already make it a tough place to afford. I can't afford fixing all the nutty things in the awful houses!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2015, 03:17 PM
 
Location: St Thomas, USVI - Seattle, WA - Gulf Coast, TX
811 posts, read 846,246 times
Reputation: 2299
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
Sadly, I'm not retired. I have decades yet to work. Grrrr. I take care of a retired person and a young relative.

I mentioned the PNW. I lived in various places there and looked at others there. I saw that crazy behavior all over Kitsap P, Bellingham, Whidbey, and Olympia. I didn't look in Seattle proper bc it was way out of my price range at "entry level." It was just nutty in the areas I've mentioned, with the "homebuilt" shacks and just falling down homes. I don't even understand how they met code, any code. Sometimes a home would look somewhat normal outside (if mossy roofs, mildewed paint, crooked steps and garish colors or NO PAINT is "normal"), and then you get inside and it's completely freaky. Saw so many "entry level" places that didn't even have heat. Not even a stove! In the PNW! I lived in Santa Fe, saw the lunacy there, right across the board. Lived in Austin, saw it begin, got out, and recently was offered job there but after seeing the lunacy again, turned it down. It's especially galling to me in CC, because geez, the insurances and property tax already make it a tough place to afford. I can't afford fixing all the nutty things in the awful houses!!!
LOL! Yes, you can definitely find some funky places (and people!) when you get out into the woods like that in the PNW (beautiful areas that you mentioned though! Isn't Whidbey spectacularly gorgeous?! I am so curious what makes you decide to move to the Gulf Coast after living in that part of the world!). I'm sure you are right and these crazy, creepy set-ups are everywhere! Maybe my source of surprise and disgust while house-shopping in CC was more from how common it was than not (again, across a wide range of prices) and more so how common/normal it seemed to real estate agents. My wide eyes were met with shrugs more than sympathy (like, "what's the big deal, don't you have a toilet in your garage now? And don't you call it an 'apartment'?"), so I was weirded out. Likely, the real estate agents I met with were more of the problem than anything... I'm sorry that means that I don't have any specific recommendations for you as you look for an agent. Just check with me to make sure that it wasn't one of mine.

Sorry, I got confused somewhere I think. I thought you had mentioned on a previous thread that you were planning to retire eventually in the home that you might buy in CC. I must have that confused with something else. If/when you start house-shopping in the area, I hope you have better luck that I have had so far. Also, take heart, my 4-day experience is certainly not the hard and fast rule to what real estate is like in CC. I'm sure there's potential out there that I haven't had the chance to see. I am grateful for Rust's funny article though! Made me feel like I'm not crazy or all alone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2015, 08:14 AM
 
733 posts, read 701,005 times
Reputation: 1884
It's confusing bc one of my family I take care of is retired and wants very badly to be in a retirement area, but I have to keep working. I will have to work long after the usual retirement age, bc I am the only caregiver for two ill people who get peanuts to live on, unless I can get a job that pays like the one I have here, which is so very doubtful. So I pull in good money BUT the medical and specialty expenses are so very high.

Sorry to hear about the bad real estate agents. They abound, for sure. Too many stay in the game who ought to call it quits.

I do agree that CC takes the cake when it comes to these creepy "homes." Yes, pulling down the garage door and throwing a mattress on the concrete and calling it a bedroom scared me! Yikes!

Yes, I lived in Coupeville once upon a time, as well as other PNW spots. You know that saying, "Pretty is, as pretty does"? That to me summed up Coupeville. I grew up in an oil area, past work was oil, had to move back to oil to get a decent living. That's why I'm in Pug Ugly, Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2015, 11:08 PM
 
Location: Bakersfield, Ca
1,974 posts, read 1,527,684 times
Reputation: 4421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Appearance and Reality:

I'm sure you both have seen this house at Ocean Dr. and Doddridge St. in CC.

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@2....97h,-6.43p,1z

The rock Spanish style, red clay tile roof with tower.

Some of you have driven past this house hundreds, if not a thousand times, over your life. Notice anything unusual, see any potential problem? Know any of the history?
I LOVE that house on Ocean !! ... Meanwhile still loving Seattle although everything is as high as a cats back here. IslandCity I am a Port Aransas native.. come and go , come and go .. but I finally left 5 years ago for what I knew would be the least time due to the heat and the housing situations, I just couldn't afford to live there anymore .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top