Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 11:26 AM

809 posts, read 1,323,547 times

Advertisements

We are visiting CC this coming week. Does anyone know of anyplaces where we can rent beach chairs and a beach umbrella? Also possibly a beach wheelchair? We are staying with family that just moved to the area so we won't be able to use or rent from a hotel. Thanks in advance.

Also, if you have any suggestions for must do while in CC we are looking for suggestions!

Last edited by Pupmom; 07-14-2015 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 12:54 PM

738 posts, read 751,830 times
Think you can do so at McGee beach. Beach is public but I believe the Holiday inn rents storage space to a vendor who leases chairs. Otherwise you might call city Parks and Rec as they will know who has a beach wheelchair or vendor license for leasing beach equipment. I know McGee has a wheelchair ramp.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:01 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,600,566 times
If you go to Padre Island, I'm pretty sure that you can rent beach umbrellas in front of the Holiday Inn, even if you're not staying there. I don't know about a beach wheelchair

Also, jackalope48 talks about the Holiday Inn at McGee Beach, but that hotel is now called the Emerald Beach Hotel. There IS a Holiday Inn across the street from the bayfront, but it's down closer to I37.

You could call either hotel and ask. If you're going out to the island, you want the HI on Windward Drive.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:06 PM

553 posts, read 1,047,945 times
As of yesterday, Shoreline Drive, adjacent to the seawall on the bay, was closed for redevelopment. To access McGee Beach now requires walking across the southbound, open lane, of Shoreline Drive and the grassy meridian. Not an easy task with someone in a wheelchair.

I could not recommend McGee Beach, or for that matter, any so-called beach, on Corpus Christi Bay. That 40 year old Emerald Beach Hotel . . . do your due diligence and a Google search on downtown hotels before locking yourself into something. Read the reviews.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:44 AM

Shoreline drive was rerouted several months ago. There is access to McGee beach via parking lots that do not require crossing traffic. In fact, that was one of the reasons for the reroute. There is wheel chair access from the parking lots to the seawall and from the seawall to the beach.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Shoreline drive was rerouted several months ago. There is access to McGee beach via parking lots that do not require crossing traffic. In fact, that was one of the reasons for the reroute. There is wheel chair access from the parking lots to the seawall and from the seawall to the beach.
That is correct. I take my daughter in her stroller all the time and it is a much better experience. There are disabled parking spaces right next to what used to be the street and it's a short traffic free crossing(about 80 feet) to the beach. You are also right about the hotel renaming. Old names die hard. I'd think the lack of wave action at Mcgee would be better for someone in a wheelchair if the plan is to get in the water.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:41 AM

Rust, are you just bored, or what?

The OP asked about beach umbrellas and chairs, the second poster talked about the Holiday Inn and, so that the OP would not be confused, I added my information that what used to be the Holiday Inn Emerald Beach is now called the Emerald Beach Hotel. The OP didn't ask my opinion about what beach to go to and I did not give it. You're right--I won't swim at McGee Beach but lots of people do. I see them out there every day when I drive by.

And you just added confusion by saying that Shoreline Drive was closed and you now have to cross the Southbound lanes and a grassy median to get to McGee beach, which is completely inaccurate. If someone has a beach wheelchair, McGee Beach is very accessible. There is no traffic to cross and there are sidewalks and ramps all the way down to the sand.

So far you've added absolutely nothing helpful to this thread. Do you know where the OP might rent a beach umbrella or chairs? That's what she wanted to know.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:42 AM

I see beach umbrellas at the beach all the time.

Congratulations. You're on my ignore list and it's a very short list.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:34 PM

553 posts, read 1,047,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I see beach umbrellas at the beach all the time.

Congratulations. You're on my ignore list and it's a very short list.
I saw dumb people at the beach all the time.

You may see beach umbrellas because people brought them with them. There are so-called windproof ( wind-resistant) beach umbrellas now which anyone can buy at Walmart. I've also seen people running down the beach trying to catch their flying beach umbrella. . .oh, and by the way, that flying umbrella has some legal ramifications which may account for the lack of rentals.

Congratulations, Now you've hurt both my feelings!

It's an old story, civic values and political will. You call Obama a Devil on another forum, an I'm Satan's Little Helper.

Lighten up, it's just pixels on a screen, words on a screen, nothing more.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:50 PM

She asked about beach wheelchair rentals because they make wheelchairs specifically for use on beaches. I know they used to rent umbrellas on Mcgee beach because I had a friend who worked for the vendor. It baffles me why people put down the Bayfront beaches all the time. They are wonderful. They have paved free parking, no seaweed, are generally well kept, and don't have the currents and wave action that can get a not so great swimmer in trouble. Yes after a rain storm the bacteria counts spike but they do that everywhere. I've heard stores from West Coast surfers that the water off most of the famous surfing beaches is worse on a normal day than ours are on the worst day and they aren't dropping dead like flies. It also happens to be all the stuff that is in your driveway or yard that is causing the spike. Are you saying if I walk barefoot in my grass at home it will kill me?

Also the industrial district businesses pay a fee to the city instead of taxes. The system just got redone and is netting the city an extra 5 million a year in revenue. Basically they pay at 60% of appraised value but receive no services in exchange. Since the fire department and police department cost more than 100% of the property tax revenue of the city and the city doesn't have to provide those services in the area it makes the city money. That doesn't even include the cost of maintaining roads that have heavy truck use that the port pays for instead of the city. The cost of equipping, training, and staffing fire stations to fight refinery fires alone would cost more than the increase in tax revenue the city would get from annexing. The main benefit for the businesses isn't financial. It's that they don't have to deal with city construction permitting on top of State and Federal permitting when they want to change their operations. If you want taxpayer equity issues on that front look at the state passed property tax exemption for "environmental" improvements made to industrial facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi