Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 08:28 PM

25 posts, read 24,729 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I did look a bit here if was mentioned but saw nothing. We are planning to go to CC this next holiday weekend as a LAST minute trip from San Antonio. I have paid a pretty penny for the Fri/Sat nights and now need to decide what we will do.

Would like to hang at beach(pref. NPI and see fireworks, do they do this there? If not do they do fireworks in CC beaches? We have been multiple times to CC beaches but never made it past the gates at NPI but would like to actually pass the gates this time. We will not be camping though as have already paid hotel. If we do go to NPI will it be really crowded with campers?

Also, what about other activities going on in town. Parades? Sorry folks really should of planned earlier but was last minute decision. Any suggestions and advice appreciated. Oh we are staying right on the SPID area. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 08:02 PM

286 posts, read 569,666 times
Fireworks are over the Lexington in downtown CC.
You might be able to buy tickets from either the aquarium or the art museum, otherwise you're stuck trying to find a parking spot so you can watch them, unless you can see them from your hotel.
There is a parade as well.
BIGBANGCORPUSCHRISTI.COM

Old 06-29-2015, 12:07 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
I thought I read somewhere that they were going to shoot the fireworks off closer to Cole Park so that they would be in the middle of town, but it doesn't say that on the Big Bang link. OP, if you're going to come to the bayfront to watch fireworks, come early because traffic will be a big mess.

I don't understand what you mean when you say you've never made it past the gates at NPI. Have you only been to the beaches on the bayfront in CC? Or did you mean you want to go to the National Seashore and haven't been there?

Old 06-30-2015, 01:08 PM

Marlow is right, they're off the T heads this year.
Changes for 2015 Big Bang - KiiiTV.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend

Old 07-02-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I thought I read somewhere that they were going to shoot the fireworks off closer to Cole Park so that they would be in the middle of town, but it doesn't say that on the Big Bang link. OP, if you're going to come to the bayfront to watch fireworks, come early because traffic will be a big mess.

I don't understand what you mean when you say you've never made it past the gates at NPI. Have you only been to the beaches on the bayfront in CC? Or did you mean you want to go to the National Seashore and haven't been there?
Sorry, I meant we went to North padre Island and followed that long path to the gate you pay, we thought it was a normal type beach like pedestrian heavy type. It was first time in CC we were clueless, lol.

Last edited by Apm1980; 07-02-2015 at 10:58 PM..

Old 07-02-2015, 10:55 PM

Thanks so much everyone. After I posted this I found the big event online, the Big Bang event. I immediately canceled hotel as I had payed already but was in window to cancel and booked at the Omni as it was the only one avail, but could only get it for Sat night which was fine as we would of gotten into CC late Friday anyways.

So now am mostly figuring out what to do. As excited as it seems we really wanted a laid back hang at beach watch fireworks kinda holiday. Now it seems like it will be really crowded and full of activities. My concern is we will get there early Sat and hopefully park at hotel, then watch parade. We still wanna go to beach but seeing people get spots early, if staying at Omni is there a beach on that side of Shoreline, or do we have to cross the bridge? Would prefer to stay on that side. Also with change of fireworks does that affect that area? Thanks everyone!!

Old 07-02-2015, 11:03 PM

Oh gosh don't mean to ask so much but something I had really wanted to know is on the beach do people barbecue? What are the rules? I just remember a while ago spending 4th at beaches in Cali and roasting marshmallows.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:30 PM

There is beach on both sides of the bridge, but it's CC bay beach and not the Gulf. If you have small kids those beaches are fine, but the water has been dirty because of run off from recent heavy rains. If you're not as worried about safety for small kids, I'd go to a Gulf beach. It sounds like you tried to go to the Padre Island National Seashore, but there are other NPI beaches that are closer and you just need a beach sticker. Or, you can go to Mustard Island State Park and just pay the state park fee.

The area in front of the Omni will be very crowded on Sat. afternoon/evening because it's close to the parade and fireworks. You can park at the hotel and take the water taxi to the aquarium and the Lex if that interests you. Or to the beaches over there if you don't go out to the island.

You can barbecue on the beach but if it's windy everything will be sandy. Even if it's not windy, everything will be sandy.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:34 PM

You can get a beach sticker at just about any Stripes convenience store. I think they cost $10 or so.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:02 PM

You can cook on the beach with a grill, or you can make a bonfire pit.
If you want to park at Padre Balli park, it's free in the parking lot (which will likely be full and crowded). The pier there has a restaurant. Otherwise, get a $12 sticker at any gas station or HEB to park on any beach that isn't state or national park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi