U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-30-2015, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Smithville, TX
553 posts, read 855,412 times
Reputation: 501

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mcninja View Post
Absolutely. I've shown a similar infographic at talks. When Rachel Carson succeeded in getting DDT banned to protect the birds, she doomed millions of Africans to death by malaria.
Dr.Mcninja, I challenge this statement. You will note in my post history I mention reading Rachel Carson's
"Silent Spring" in 1962. It was a book- of- the- month-club and discussed often around the table at our house. There was hate and rage in CC with regard to the book from Big Ag and the surrounding grain and cotton farmers.

The fact is that Carson did not kill millions of people by malaria and never insisted on a DDT ban, only on a more judicious and careful application and further research into alternatives. Where DDT was discontinued outside the U.S. it was often because mosquitoes developed genetic resistance to the chemical and it thus lost effectiveness, exactly as Carson's research had predicted.


DDT was never banned for anti-malarial use,[68] its ban for agricultural use in the United States in 1972 did not apply outside the U.S. nor to anti-malaria spraying.[69] The international treaty that banned most uses of DDT and other organochlorine pesticides—the 2001 Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants—

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Spring#Debate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2015, 08:08 AM
 
15,246 posts, read 17,639,372 times
Reputation: 25492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Because some people need help with geography. Warm and moist, Corpus Christi is located on the Gulf Coast of Mexico - 27°46′20″N 97°15′10″W

Last year I read "The Gulf Coast: A New American Underbelly of Tropical Diseases and Poverty".

I suggest some people can Google >The Gulf Coast: A New American Underbelly of Tropical Diseases and Poverty< see what pops up. What pops up is not my "alarming" news but emerging, "new", scientific thought, journals, papers and comments by research professionals concerning the nasty facts. It appears
some people would dismiss, and deliberately obfuscate such concerns.


Let me google that for you

>The Gulf Coast: A New American Underbelly of Tropical Diseases and Poverty<

Some Rust
You know what, Rust? You, who haven't lived here since you were a kid, and the professor from Washington, are absolutely correct. The entire Gulf Coast is a hellhole, full of danger and disease. Everyone should just STAY AWAY. It's too freaking hazardous. I can't believe I've ever made it through a day here, much less 53 years, without succumbing to a tropical fever or snake bite. And it seems utterly impossible that I've been able to work at a great job and pay off a nice house in a lovely neighborhood, all while holding invading gang members and drug dealers at bay.

The rest of you should stay out and leave us brave souls to suffer through another beautiful sunrise over the Gulf of Mexico, or a peaceful sunset, watching pelicans fly in formation over Corpus Christi bay. We'll be crying in our beer at a Hooks baseball game, or buying fresh seafood off the T-heads, but don't worry about us. You just enjoy the perfection of your pest-free, disease-free, perfectly modulated environment wherever you are. Stay there. Really. I mean it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2015, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Smithville, TX
553 posts, read 855,412 times
Reputation: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You know what, Rust? You, who haven't lived here since you were a kid,

Au contraire, I lived in CC in 1980-1982. I lived in Seadrift, 65 miles north, seven years. Often, over the years I'd go to CC, hook up with friends, and go down Padre Island's Malaquite beach some 30 miles to Big Shell for a few days. In fact, that part of the island is one of my favorite places in the world!

Contrary to some notions I do not hate CC. It can be a great fit for some people. There are a great many sportmen/women who love living on or near the water. I've a friend there who moved from Washington state for the wind surfing. He had his masters, married, raised kids, who are now in college, and still lives there. The folks I know can afford to live above the frey of the everyday realities of most people. A number of trustafarians have moved to Rockport, Port A., and the island.

The facts are, there are two sides of Corpus Christi. On the one side is a large population of poor uneducated people with large extended families who struggle to make it everyday - think hotel maids, the alienated labor of low paid service workers. On the other side are folks insulated behind gated communities and cul-de-sacs with their own agendas. These folks, by and large, could care less about the city, voting, or any meaningful interaction to improve the body politic. Oh, might I mention a hollowing out of the middle classes and a small group of the insufferably privileged.

Consider, before you next buy seafood at the T-Head, Necrotizing Fasciitis - Vibrio vulnificus is found in blue crab among other seafood. It is one of those bacterium that is normally found in warm saltwater along the coastlines throughout the U.S. Like red/brown tides it comes and goes depending on environmental conditions. Those folks with underlying health conditions, compromised immune deficiencies, especially those with diabetes and chronic liver disease, have a higher risk of contracting Vibrio vulnificus. Folks have been infected in slight cuts while cleaning crabs-fish.

Researchers at Texas A&M Corpus Christi were awarded $200,000 to study the link between Saharan dust clouds over the Gulf and increases in dangerous bacteria. A&M's scientists say it's important to learn more about how this dust reacts with local water. The dust has been linked to red tide and the more dangerous flesh eating bacteria, Vibrio. Texas A&M Corpus Christi's marine biologist Dr. Michael Wetz stated climate change models predict that African deserts will become drier in the coming years which, in turn, would mean more dust clouds.

By the way, without being too self-referential (otherwise, I'll need my Serengeti high contrast, rose lens sunglasses and Ye Olde Time Machine) I lived two years in a steamy, snake infested jungle in South America when an advanced student. I also lived in another deadly jungle called Viet-Nam where there were deadly snakes and significant hot lead issues among other unpleasantries.

Once again, I don't hate CC - I am very disappointed in what's become of CC. It seems to me to have lost it's soul and spirit of place.

It seems to me, it's only honest to show both sides of a place. It cost a lot, in time, money and effort, for people to pick up and move their lives. Post in C-D can be very confusing with regard to what to expect in another city/town. It seems the world is turning faster and faster becoming more confusing and complex,
with all sorts of issues. In some cases the information overload is such that folks thoughts become detached from common sense. You can get so complicated in your thinking that the obvious isn't real to you anymore. I say, get all the "quality" information, pro & con, you can and let go of the thinking -
Our senses are becoming increasingly more important, I say, in the end, we need to trust our intuition, hunches and gut feelings. Drive around the neighborhood at night when you're looking at a house, sense what it feels like, follow your own lights.

While banging this out I am reminded of Jamaica Kincaid's book "A Small Place".

And women who artfully apply too much makeup.

Some Rust
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2015, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Corpus Christi
288 posts, read 482,629 times
Reputation: 494
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2015, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Smithville, TX
553 posts, read 855,412 times
Reputation: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mcninja

Absolutely. I've shown a similar infographic at talks. When Rachel Carson succeeded in getting DDT banned to protect the birds, she doomed millions of Africans to death by malaria.<



Dr.Mcninja, I challenge this statement. You will note in my post history I mention reading Rachel Carson's
"Silent Spring" in 1962. It was a book- of- the- month-club and discussed often around the table at our house. There was hate and rage in CC with regard to the book from Big Ag and the surrounding grain and cotton farmers.

The fact is that Carson did not kill millions of people by malaria and never insisted on a DDT ban, only on a more judicious and careful application and further research into alternatives. Where DDT was discontinued outside the U.S. it was often because mosquitoes developed genetic resistance to the chemical and it thus lost effectiveness, exactly as Carson's research had predicted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2015, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Corpus Christi
288 posts, read 482,629 times
Reputation: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mcninja

Absolutely. I've shown a similar infographic at talks. When Rachel Carson succeeded in getting DDT banned to protect the birds, she doomed millions of Africans to death by malaria.<



Dr.Mcninja, I challenge this statement. You will note in my post history I mention reading Rachel Carson's
"Silent Spring" in 1962. It was a book- of- the- month-club and discussed often around the table at our house. There was hate and rage in CC with regard to the book from Big Ag and the surrounding grain and cotton farmers.

The fact is that Carson did not kill millions of people by malaria and never insisted on a DDT ban, only on a more judicious and careful application and further research into alternatives. Where DDT was discontinued outside the U.S. it was often because mosquitoes developed genetic resistance to the chemical and it thus lost effectiveness, exactly as Carson's research had predicted.
You've challenged it twice now. And as a matter of fact, you're right. I flippantly parroted a quote I had heard and got called on it. Congratulations, but remember that this was not because I was advocating for DDT usage, but because I was agreeing that mosquitoes kill more people worldwide than any other animal, but not in the US
When are you going to answer the questions I asked that you're conveniently sidestepping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2015, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Corpus Christi
288 posts, read 482,629 times
Reputation: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
The facts are, there are two sides of Corpus Christi. On the one side is a large population of poor uneducated people with large extended families who struggle to make it everyday - think hotel maids, the alienated labor of low paid service workers. On the other side are folks insulated behind gated communities and cul-de-sacs with their own agendas. These folks, by and large, could care less about the city, voting, or any meaningful interaction to improve the body politic. Oh, might I mention a hollowing out of the middle classes and a small group of the insufferably privileged.
This is somehow unique to Corpus Christi? Or is it only because you hear second or third hand what happens here and have a different view than perhaps those of us that do live here and don't hate it?
Quote:
Once again, I don't hate CC - I am very disappointed in what's become of CC. It seems to me to have lost it's soul and spirit of place.
And there we have it. You're one of those people who doesn't like change. It's people like you that made sure Corpus didn't grow at a time most of Texas was. Why Schlitterbahn passed CC over, why there's no Costco or Fresh Markets. Because you would hate for your idolized sleepy little fishing village to become an actual city. That's why you keep badmouthing it.
I get it now.


Oh, and I really find it comical that you mentioned measles above. Remember, the whole reason the measles is a problem is because like-minded people felt like they knew more than the "establishment" and would challenge that their precious snowflakes needed to have "chemicals and poisons" injected into them. They extensively "researched" via google and decided they were more afraid of potential and scary words than they were of the things that can actually kill them. And now we have parts of California with lower vaccination rates than parts of Africa, and subsequent measles outbreaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2015, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Smithville, TX
553 posts, read 855,412 times
Reputation: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mcninja View Post
You've challenged it twice now. And as a matter of fact, you're right. I flippantly parroted a quote I had heard and got called on it. Congratulations, but remember that this was not because I was advocating for DDT usage, but because I was agreeing that mosquitoes kill more people worldwide than any other animal, but not in the US
When are you going to answer the questions I asked that you're conveniently sidestepping?
Because I'm tired of you, 'nuff said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2015, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Smithville, TX
553 posts, read 855,412 times
Reputation: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mcninja View Post
This is somehow unique to Corpus Christi? Or is it only because you hear second or third hand what happens here and have a different view than perhaps those of us that do live here and don't hate it?

And there we have it. You're one of those people who doesn't like change. It's people like you that made sure Corpus didn't grow at a time most of Texas was. Why Schlitterbahn passed CC over, why there's no Costco or Fresh Markets. Because you would hate for your idolized sleepy little fishing village to become an actual city. That's why you keep badmouthing it.
I get it now.


Oh, and I really find it comical that you mentioned measles above. Remember, the whole reason the measles is a problem is because like-minded people felt like they knew more than the "establishment" and would challenge that their precious snowflakes needed to have "chemicals and poisons" injected into them. They extensively "researched" via google and decided they were more afraid of potential and scary words than they were of the things that can actually kill them. And now we have parts of California with lower vaccination rates than parts of Africa, and subsequent measles outbreaks.
Intense speculation and conjecture on your part. I don't know about "Fresh Markets" - I go to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. Like I just said, I'm tired of you now, you're more heat than light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2015, 08:11 AM
 
15,246 posts, read 17,639,372 times
Reputation: 25492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Au contraire, I lived in CC in 1980-1982. I lived in Seadrift, 65 miles north, seven years. Often, over the years I'd go to CC, hook up with friends, and go down Padre Island's Malaquite beach some 30 miles to Big Shell for a few days. In fact, that part of the island is one of my favorite places in the world!

You lived in CC for two years 33 years ago and that made you an expert on all things Corpus Christi? How does living in Seadrift or going to the beach give you special insight to living here in CC?


Contrary to some notions I do not hate CC. It can be a great fit for some people. There are a great many sportmen/women who love living on or near the water. I've a friend there who moved from Washington state for the wind surfing. He had his masters, married, raised kids, who are now in college, and still lives there. The folks I know can afford to live above the frey of the everyday realities of most people. A number of trustafarians have moved to Rockport, Port A., and the island.

Any place on earth can be a great fit for some people. In addition to your friend from Washington, more than 300,000 other people live here. So it's clearly a fit for more than a few people.

The facts are, there are two sides of Corpus Christi. On the one side is a large population of poor uneducated people with large extended families who struggle to make it everyday - think hotel maids, the alienated labor of low paid service workers. On the other side are folks insulated behind gated communities and cul-de-sacs with their own agendas. These folks, by and large, could care less about the city, voting, or any meaningful interaction to improve the body politic. Oh, might I mention a hollowing out of the middle classes and a small group of the insufferably privileged.

^^^ How is this different from any other city? The entire United States is seeing a growing gap between rich and poor and a shrinking middle class. What makes you think this is limited to Corpus Christi?

Consider, before you next buy seafood at the T-Head, Necrotizing Fasciitis - Vibrio vulnificus is found in blue crab among other seafood. It is one of those bacterium that is normally found in warm saltwater along the coastlines throughout the U.S. Like red/brown tides it comes and goes depending on environmental conditions. Those folks with underlying health conditions, compromised immune deficiencies, especially those with diabetes and chronic liver disease, have a higher risk of contracting Vibrio vulnificus. Folks have been infected in slight cuts while cleaning crabs-fish.

And listeria is found in ice cream. E coli is found in meat and salad greens. Salmonella is found in sushi.

Researchers at Texas A&M Corpus Christi were awarded $200,000 to study the link between Saharan dust clouds over the Gulf and increases in dangerous bacteria. A&M's scientists say it's important to learn more about how this dust reacts with local water. The dust has been linked to red tide and the more dangerous flesh eating bacteria, Vibrio. Texas A&M Corpus Christi's marine biologist Dr. Michael Wetz stated climate change models predict that African deserts will become drier in the coming years which, in turn, would mean more dust clouds.

What's your point? That CC is the only city affected by climate change? You know that's not true.

By the way, without being too self-referential (otherwise, I'll need my Serengeti high contrast, rose lens sunglasses and Ye Olde Time Machine) I lived two years in a steamy, snake infested jungle in South America when an advanced student. I also lived in another deadly jungle called Viet-Nam where there were deadly snakes and significant hot lead issues among other unpleasantries.

Once again, I don't hate CC - I am very disappointed in what's become of CC. It seems to me to have lost it's soul and spirit of place.

The same can be said of lots of places. Austin is nothing like it was in the 70's or 80's. What are now the suburbs of the Dallas metroplex used to be sleepy little country towns. CC is not what it was 30 years ago and it would be pathetic if it were.

It seems to me, it's only honest to show both sides of a place. It cost a lot, in time, money and effort, for people to pick up and move their lives. Post in C-D can be very confusing with regard to what to expect in another city/town. It seems the world is turning faster and faster becoming more confusing and complex,
with all sorts of issues. In some cases the information overload is such that folks thoughts become detached from common sense. You can get so complicated in your thinking that the obvious isn't real to you anymore. I say, get all the "quality" information, pro & con, you can and let go of the thinking -
Our senses are becoming increasingly more important, I say, in the end, we need to trust our intuition, hunches and gut feelings. Drive around the neighborhood at night when you're looking at a house, sense what it feels like, follow your own lights.

I have no problem with showing both sides of a place. What I do have a problem with is using scare tactics to make it look like CC is some backwater jungle where you're lucky to get through the day without being bitten by a snake or keeling over from food poisoning. When challenged on the fact that you don't really know what it's like to live in CC because you haven't lived here for 30+ years, you cite to mostly ancient and unrelated news stories to try and bolster your point.
While banging this out I am reminded of Jamaica Kincaid's book "A Small Place".

And women who artfully apply too much makeup.

^^^ I have no idea what this means.
Some Rust
CC has a great Fourth of July weekend planned. You should come down and enjoy the fireworks on the bayfront. It's always a lovely evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top