U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 04:08 AM

553 posts, read 854,627 times

Advertisements

http://www.gatesnotes.com/Health/Mos...-Mosquito-Week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 01:20 PM

287 posts, read 482,186 times
Absolutely. I've shown a similar infographic at talks. When Rachel Carson succeeded in getting DDT banned to protect the birds, she doomed millions of Africans to death by malaria.
The point is, Bill Gates isn't donating his millions to protect people from mosquitoes in the US, Texas, South Texas, or Nueces County specifically, because they aren't a life threat here. Not sure why that isn't sinking in.
Just like the water in many places is not safe to drink, but it is safe here. Just like getting strep throat here isn't as concerning, because we don't have rheumatogenic strains in the US, but they are present in the South Pacific. Different parts of the world have different threats. You don't need to be afraid of great white sharks or saltwater crocodiles here. That doesn't make them not deadly, it just means they don't exist here.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mcninja View Post
Absolutely. I've shown a similar infographic at talks. When Rachel Carson succeeded in getting DDT banned to protect the birds, she doomed millions of Africans to death by malaria.
The point is, Bill Gates isn't donating his millions to protect people from mosquitoes in the US, Texas, South Texas, or Nueces County specifically, because they aren't a life threat here. Not sure why that isn't sinking in.
Just like the water in many places is not safe to drink, but it is safe here. Just like getting strep throat here isn't as concerning, because we don't have rheumatogenic strains in the US, but they are present in the South Pacific. Different parts of the world have different threats. You don't need to be afraid of great white sharks or saltwater crocodiles here. That doesn't make them not deadly, it just means they don't exist here.
We have the Asian tiger mosquito Aedes aegypti.

Here's why it just isn't sinking in:

The Gulf Coast: A New American Underbelly of Tropical Diseases and Poverty

Recent Rainfall Increases Risk of Pests and Diseases | June | 2015 | Texas Tech Today | TTU

I'll toss this in for good measure:

Unusually High Number of Shigellosis Cases Reported in Coastal Bend Area of Texas | Food Safety News

Old 06-29-2015, 04:08 PM

1,050 posts, read 741,760 times
yuck

Old 06-29-2015, 04:47 PM

You clearly don't understand any of what you're copy-pasting, so there's no point in discussing this anymore.
Shigellosis isn't transmitted by mosquitoes anyway.
To everyone else, those of us in the public health sector, while vigilant of these diseases, are not worried. I live here with my family, and wouldn't subject them to anything dangerous. This isn't some "keep the masses unaware of the life threats" conspiracy.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:24 PM

Default What-not-to-eat-last-week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mcninja View Post
You clearly don't understand any of what you're copy-pasting, so there's no point in discussing this anymore.
Shigellosis isn't transmitted by mosquitoes anyway.
To everyone else, those of us in the public health sector, while vigilant of these diseases, are not worried. I live here with my family, and wouldn't subject them to anything dangerous. This isn't some "keep the masses unaware of the life threats" conspiracy.

Shigellosis is a disease of filth, nothing was said about mosquitoes.

I make no pretensions of being any sort of scientist. I pay attention to the news and read, that's all.

O.K. let's look at the recent smorgasbord of Ebola (epidemic Nurses at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas say the hospital had "no protocols" for dealing with Ebola) measles outbreak, MRSA infections ( “Staph Superbug”) Bird Flu, Swine Flu, hospital infections, Drugs, Blue Bell Ice Cream listeria outbreak, And What . . . Oops! Pentagon “Accidentally” Shipped Live Anthrax to Labs in 9 States, not counting this:

What Not to Eat Last Week

And you say you're not worried?

Old 06-29-2015, 09:24 PM

Nope. You're orders of magnitude more likely to die of a car crash.
How many Americans died of Ebola btw? Anthrax? Bird flu?
Aware, yes. Worried, no.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:23 AM

733 posts, read 698,735 times
It sounds so dangerous and disturbing. I know other threats are much more severe (automobiles, and probably even drinking), but the idea of the Gulf Coast area becoming just a cesspool of germs, fleas, mosquitoes and ticks is upsetting.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:57 PM

15,246 posts, read 17,629,619 times
I have multiple pets but no fleas, ticks or heartworms because they're all on prevention. We all get the occasional mosquito bite. I don't know why some people insist on posting alarming news stories from other parts of the country to portray CC as some outpost of civilization.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:47 PM

Default Preschool Geography - Where in the world is Corpus Christi, TX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I don't know why some people insist on posting alarming news stories from other parts of the country to portray CC as some outpost of civilization.
Because some people need help with geography. Warm and moist, Corpus Christi is located on the Gulf Coast of Mexico - 27°46′20″N 97°15′10″W

Last year I read "The Gulf Coast: A New American Underbelly of Tropical Diseases and Poverty".

I suggest some people can Google >The Gulf Coast: A New American Underbelly of Tropical Diseases and Poverty< see what pops up. What pops up is not my "alarming" news but emerging, "new", scientific thought, journals, papers and comments by research professionals concerning the nasty facts. It appears
some people would dismiss, and deliberately obfuscate such concerns.

Let me google that for you

>The Gulf Coast: A New American Underbelly of Tropical Diseases and Poverty<

Some Rust
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi