U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 6,402 times

Advertisements

I currently reside in new york state. Was thinking to move to texas for the lower cost of living and just a change after being in new york my whole life. I wanted to be close to the beach so i had looked into moving to Corpus Christi. But then i looked into the natural disaster aspects and now i am not so sure. Does anyone currently live in corpus? If so how often over the years would u say the area was badly affected by a natural disaster? Is it worth it buying a home in that location? Can you suggest any other cities near the water that i could safely purchase a home without having to worry about it being totally destroyed if corpus is too much of a risk?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 10:04 AM

7,196 posts, read 9,651,787 times
There is a Corpus Christi forum where you may find first hand experience.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:38 AM

355 posts, read 480,615 times
Corpus rarely has big storm damage since it is protected by a natural bay, CC Bay.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 6,402 times
Do you live in corpus? Would you say buying a house there is safe?

Old 02-02-2016, 11:53 AM

432 posts, read 407,360 times
Major hurricane damage in 1970 (1/3 of houses destroyed or badly damaged) and some in 1983.

pretty rare

Old 02-02-2016, 04:09 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,697,319 times
Default Vague question?

You want assurances of living on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico safely? Try New Orleans.

It looks as though the best we can do is.... You most probably would be alright moving to Corpus. Unless they order you to evacuate,then it might not have been such a good idea to begin with after all.
Move here to San Antonio, I would say you would find we have the same climate without the hangovers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cymorales16 View Post
I currently reside in new york state. Was thinking to move to texas for the lower cost of living and just a change after being in new york my whole life. I wanted to be close to the beach so i had looked into moving to Corpus Christi. But then i looked into the natural disaster aspects and now i am not so sure. Does anyone currently live in corpus? If so how often over the years would u say the area was badly affected by a natural disaster? Is it worth it buying a home in that location? Can you suggest any other cities near the water that i could safely purchase a home without having to worry about it being totally destroyed if corpus is too much of a risk?

Old 02-05-2016, 11:26 AM

558 posts, read 371,034 times
New York City has been hit by more hurricanes in the last 50 years than Corpus Christi has. Most Gulf storms curve up and hit between Houston and Pensacola. The Yucatan peninsula creates a shielding effect that channels most big storms north. That being said it's the largest city actually on the Gulf but most of the housing is built at higher elevations and evacuations are a well organized and planned for thing. Tornados are rare but happen, earthquakes and blizzards never happen. All in all it's pretty safe because the one potential big disaster you can see coming. Celia took out most of the badly built homes and modern windstorm construction standards were developed in the aftermath of that storm in the rebuilding process. Basically buy insurance, buy a home at higher elevation, evacuate when told, and you will be fine.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:32 PM

713 posts, read 590,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve807 View Post
Major hurricane damage in 1970 (1/3 of houses destroyed or badly damaged) and some in 1983.
pretty rare
hmm - I don't think it was that bad; I was there (lived in Corpus 24 years); our little '50's home just had some roof (shingles) damage (2 miles from the bay). Main thing with Hurricanes is to just be 2+ miles away from the coast, and not in low-lying area.

It's not the 'big' natural disasters to worry about here; it's the constant 99% humidity, mosquitoes, and racial politics that will grate on you (drove me out anyway!) Fun place to visit, but glad I don't live there fulltime anymore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or