U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2016, 10:06 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,249,371 times

Advertisements

Well top floor or not top floor really depends on a particular apartment building.
I used to rent one apartment on a 1st floor and it was a nightmare constantly hearing footsteps above me.
When I moved on upper floor in the same apt complex I felt a huge relief. Yes, it was hotter but I never exceeded $50/mo in my electrical bill.

And I rented another apt in Houston on the top floor and heat was never a big problem. Seems it was insulated pretty well. I don't remember how much I paid for electricity during summer months in Houston. Probably no more than $70/mo. In Corpus Christi it will be the same.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 01:34 PM

14 posts, read 28,540 times
Hmmm ok, lots of good advice. Thank you. I like the view of the beach and mainly a beach breeze more than needing to actually go into the ocean water. Im more of a suburb than a city girl because I hate car polution and crazy drivers and traffic. But Im not a brand name *****. I shop at target and walmart for most things. If there is a mall or outlet mall ( CC seems to have that ) Im very happy. May I ask about Houston? How far of a drive is that to the beach? Galvenston seems lovely. Houston might be an option ( if its safe ) and the beach is not far off.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:15 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,249,371 times
In terms of the beach Corpus is definitely a winner.
Galveston beaches are dirty, full of pollution from wrecked oil tankers and chemical factories.

Quote:
https://www.texastribune.org/2014/04...ton-oil-spill/

Galveston Bay Oil Spill Leaves Hundreds of Birds Oiled

In terms of jobs I believe Corpus will also be better cause it is much bigger than Galveston with well developed industry.

If you are looking more for job rather than beach, Houston is a place to go (engineering, science, medical, IT, oil & gas, manufacturing jobs). But Houston is not a beach town. Commute from Galveston to Houston will be crazy (if you want to live at the beach but work in Houston).

For 'typical office job' I think Corpus will be fine. It's not a small town.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:31 PM

174 posts, read 172,744 times
I don't have much to add; others have already given you some great advice above. My ex was from CC and loved growing up there, spent a lot of time on the beach and sailing there, but she also used to say the city had "lost its luster" in recent years. In many ways it does seem like the "forgotten" city of Texas. The beach is okay but nothing compared to CA, or FL's Gulf Coast. Padre Island is also just okay. Definitely a slower pace there, not many trendy/upscale eateries, and mostly a blue collar workforce (not that there's anything wrong with that... just saying). If you do end up moving there, just remember that they're all very proud to be the home of Farrah Fawcett, the singer Selena, and Whataburger (Texas' favorite burger chain).

If you want to be near a beach but also near the amenities and job opportunities of a major city, have you considered the Galveston area? Again, not a great beach, but definitely within an easy drive of a LOT more to do.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:25 PM

999 posts, read 1,498,644 times
If you end up in any of the coastal cities in TX I suggest that you not choose a 1st floor apartment. In just the 3 years I was in Corpus Christi we had a handful of really heavy rain storms that flooded the drains int he apartment parking lot and water came surprisingly close to apartments. Several times cars were flooded, so find the high spots in the parking areas.

For the reasons stated, being on the top floor is not optimal either. However, if you have any desire to leave your windows open when the weather cooperates (not too hot, not too cold) then you may not want to be on the first floor.

In any case, the apartment complex is more important than anything else. A newer building with better windows, insulation, and AC units will cost you a lot less than an apartment in the shade, on the bottom floor in an old building.

Corpus Christi has all the necessary elements for basic services. However I missed having Costco, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and a few other shopping favorites. There is basically only one grocery chain in CC, HEB. So not much competition or choice. One time I wanted to make a favorite pork dish and none of the HEB stores had pork shoulder that week. There are some nice restaurants in CC, but they are few and far between. When my parents came to visit it was difficult to find something that had a broad menu to please everyone. There's a lot of good ethnic food and good seafood. There is good BBQ and really good Mexican.

Traffic CC is almost non-existent. On the other hand, CC has one of the highest rates of impaired drivers. Almost every day the news has a rollover, fatal, drove into the Bay, DWI, accident. I like to commute on my bike but gave up any hope of that after just a few weeks of scary experiences. Port Aransas is a a great place to bike. Otherwise, give it up. Be aware of double checking traffic when entering an intersection, etc. When you are driving be aware of the red light cameras. I can't remember all of them but Saratoga has a bunch.

If I were looking for a job I would definitely include Texas A&M, the military bases, and state jobs. They will have better benefits and pay. There are also a few hospitals that have good jobs.

In general the cost of living in CC is pretty cheap. Housing seems to be the most expensive feature as there are plenty of renters with at least 3 military bases, a few colleges, and transient oil field workers. Insist on seeing the unit you will be renting, not their model unit. Do not let apartment management walk all over you, rush you, or twist your arm. Keep good records of your lease, utility payments to the apartment complex (my water was always paid to the complex, not the utility company), and any deposits. I twisted a few arms to get all of my deposits back every time. Utilities are reasonable, no more for electric/water/internet than I've paid anywhere else. But again, watch out for utilities when renting. Some places include water and garbage, others do not. Your utility bills will be higher in older buildings than in newer ones. I lived in both and my higher rent in a newer place was a bargain compared to the electric bill in the older place. Some groceries were cheaper (beef, fruit in season), some were more expensive (cereal), others you just can't find when you want it. Besides HEB you can also buy groceries at Walmart. For the more organic stuff you can check out Sprouts...good prices and good selection for a small-ish store. Gasoline is really cheap.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:10 PM

174 posts, read 172,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
If you end up in any of the coastal cities in TX I suggest that you not choose a 1st floor apartment. In just the 3 years I was in Corpus Christi we had a handful of really heavy rain storms that flooded the drains int he apartment parking lot and water came surprisingly close to apartments. Several times cars were flooded, so find the high spots in the parking areas.
Being on a higher floor can also help reduce the number of roaches in your apartment. Sometimes.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:14 AM

2 posts, read 1,338 times
hello, Did you take the trip? I grow up in Corpus Christi and have only visited it since I was 18. I've considered moving back. contact me [email]hollywhite1@hotmail.com[/email] If you haven't already made your visit I'd drive down from Houston to explore with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or