U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2016, 03:21 PM

14 posts, read 28,496 times

Advertisements

Im taking a trip to TX next month to explore Corpus Christi. I have looked at lots info online already (pictures, forums, temp agencies, malls and outlets, parks etc). I currently live in Orange County CA... Pretty much the most expensive place you can live aside from new york city.. Its $900 just to rent a room with a shared bathroom here. Im sick of it! I dont want to give up living by the beach, so corpus christi seems like a great option for me. Ive looked at several apartments online and the nice ones with washer and driers and wood floors still cost about $400 less per month than here where I live. But, Im wondering if the money would balance out? I have 4 friends who moved to TX from CA who say there is no state income tax there and milk is cheaper and gas is cheaper. But I wonder... Will my air conditioning bill be way higher since its hotter? I know minimum wage is $3 less there, although I havent worked for minimum wage for 15 years now. How much does the average office job pay there? Im a temp at iHeartRadio now and I make $15/hr with no vacation pay or health benefits. Im hoping to find something comparable or better. I have no problem starting as a temp somewhere.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 03:48 PM

713 posts, read 572,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGirl2TX View Post
Im taking a trip to TX next month to explore Corpus Christi. I have looked at lots info online already (pictures, forums, temp agencies, malls and outlets, parks etc). I currently live in Orange County CA... Pretty much the most expensive place you can live aside from new york city.. Its $900 just to rent a room with a shared bathroom here. Im sick of it! I dont want to give up living by the beach, so corpus christi seems like a great option for me. Ive looked at several apartments online and the nice ones with washer and driers and wood floors still cost about $400 less per month than here where I live. But, Im wondering if the money would balance out? I have 4 friends who moved to TX from CA who say there is no state income tax there and milk is cheaper and gas is cheaper. But I wonder... Will my air conditioning bill be way higher since its hotter? I know minimum wage is $3 less there, although I havent worked for minimum wage for 15 years now. How much does the average office job pay there? Im a temp at iHeartRadio now and I make $15/hr with no vacation pay or health benefits. Im hoping to find something comparable or better. I have no problem starting as a temp somewhere.
DONT get an apt on the TOP floor, and you're AC bill shouldn't be too high.
Orange to Corpus - wow, you're gonna be in for a shock (you'll see 'why' its cheaper

The 'beach' is actually better @ Port Aransas - but that is just a tiny town there, and a good 30 min drive from Corpus, unless you are out towards Flour Bluff.

Your communication skills seem decent - you shouldn't have a problem finding a job; look around a bunch.
Bilingual? will help.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:43 AM

16,769 posts, read 42,857,532 times
Anahiem (Orange County)........................................... ...........................Corpus Christi

More data for comparison

//www.city-data.com/city/Corpus-Christi-Texas.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Anaheim-California.html

Old 02-08-2016, 03:41 PM

You you say I'll see "why its cheaper"... Is it a dangerous area? I dont need to be in the suburbs but I want to be safe.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGirl2TX View Post
You you say I'll see "why its cheaper"... Is it a dangerous area? I dont need to be in the suburbs but I want to be safe.
Not dangerous, just 'very slow paced' there. It is a pretty good distance from any of the 'nearby' major metro areas (San Antonio, Houston, Austin --- 2or3 hours away, where there is more 'happening' - so Corpus kinda feel 'cut off from civilization' - unless you are really looking for 'slow' ). Fun to visit, but gets Drab living there full-time-unless you like to fish 24/7. Doesn't really have 'upscale' restaurants, shopping, and thriving business like you'll find in (bigger) Texas metro cities. I think the biggest business there is the Refineries!
I lived there 24 years, and still visit occasionally. The beaches get obnoxiously crowded certainly during Spring Break, of course. Weekends during summertime lotsa people @ beaches, but then usually empty most other times.

If you're going to visit for several days, I'd suggest renting/staying at a beach-front condo in Port-Aransas, and then drive into Corpus Christi to look around, explore, etc. However, your visit timing may coincide with the Spring Break schedule (March?), in which case all near-beach condos/hotels will be either already fully-booked and at top-rates, and beaches will be crowded. Of course you could stay in corpus, and maybe book one night at beach-front condo. Our favorite is to stay at THE MAYAN PRINCESS - rates there are pretty cheap until Feb 29 (then skyrockets for March / spring break) - you can walk to the beach from your room, and get a balcony facing the beach/ocean.

Last edited by oldoak2000; 02-09-2016 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: visit / suggest

Old 02-09-2016, 08:39 AM

Ah - just noticed your first post said 'visit next month' ; that sounds like you'll be there @ MArch - DURING the Spring-Break rush; the whole town will seem bustling & crowded with young adults everywhere - happening & exciting;;;; be advised that 95% of those 'young folk' will be gone in a couple of weeks when Spring Break is over. Hotel/Motel/Condo rates will be double or more for the whole month of March!

Growing up there, I always had (spring break) visitors tell me how lucky I was to be living in such a happening place; I would tell them, " Yes, it's 'happening' NOW while all 'yall are visiting here (for spring break), but then when all 'yall leave in a week or two, it's a mass exodus - they 'roll up the sidewalks' , close all the bars/clubs, and the place is a ghost town the other 50 weeks of the year!!!

Last edited by oldoak2000; 02-09-2016 at 09:03 AM..

Old 02-09-2016, 06:27 PM

Well if march will be an expensive time for hotels when should I push my visit back to? I want to see what its like at its norm. I dont mind a slow place. I saw that there is a mall there now and an outlet mall is scheduled to open november this year. Thats city enough for me. I currently live in the crazy overpriced suburbs. Im a country girl at heart but I need to be where jobs are. Not a big city girl though. Hows the traffic there? Its pretty awful here.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:31 PM

287 posts, read 482,267 times
The only downside to spring break is the traffic going to the island. You can wait for an hour to cross the causeway, and it's annoying. The redlight at 22 and 361 can back up pretty far, and the ferry at Port Aransas takes forever.
So, if you aren't planning on going out to the island, then you'll be fine as far as travelling in March. The rest of the city won't appear much different.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:16 AM

811 posts, read 841,091 times
CaliGirl, traffic in the CC area is NOTHING like it is in LA. From your perspective, it will seem like there is NO traffic at all. Getting around is truly quick and easy. I haven't experienced this place over spring break yet, so it sounds like that's a little crazier, but big deal, as I can tell you it's not the norm even in the summer tourist season, let alone the rest of the year.

The economy is not booming here (though you will read articles about how it's projected to grow; hopefully that is true). Perhaps that will change, and there is definitely a continual growth in tourism out on the Island (N Padre and Port Aransas), but Corpus Christi itself is an industrial town (I wouldn't really classify it as a "city", myself, though I know it technically is.). From the look of buildings and storefronts (some dilapidated and empty), as well as from reading local papers and such, it errs on the side of "depressed." It's just an industrial town, so it just kind of is what it is, along those lines. It's kind of a bummer; When you see the drive along the bayfront you'll see the unreached potential. Hopefully reaching that potential is what the future holds for CC... The possibilities are certainly there. Currently, there's not a whole lot going on here (city-wise, that is. If you love to fish and kayak, then you're golden!), honestly, unless you want to join the crowds at the constantly hopping TGI Friday's (LOL - they LOVE their chain restaurants here!). That is NOT to say that there are not opportunities for you, should you seek them. Obviously 300,000 people eke out a living here, so clearly it can be done! I'm a business owner who travels a lot for work, mostly outside of TX. So far (in my first year based in the CC area), my local/Texas clients are in the likes of Houston and San Antonio. Corpus clients consist of a lower budget demographic, overall, but that does not include everyone, and I have still managed to do some business here too. Bottom line: I believe you can find opportunities here if your heart is in it. I do not, however, think this place is a great launchpad for your career and financial success, if that is something you're looking for.

It will be great for you to see the place with your own eyes and explore a little to determine whether it "feels" right to you. It's so, so different from So Cal... in both good and bad ways. I won't even try to break it down. See the place for yourself (if you want the "real" thing, you might come in May-June instead of over spring break...) and hopefully that will point your heart in the right direction.

One word of advice that others on this forum passed along to me when I was initially home-shopping (I ended up in Port Aransas, BTW and would not have it any other way) is that people who live here and know better apparently do not swim in Corpus Christi Bay (bacteria levels can be an issue). They go out to the Island to enjoy the beach and swim. Just something to keep in mind as you mentioned the beach is an important factor to you. Coming from the Pacific coast (as I do too), that can be a surprise or something we would never even think about!

My last word is just on adjusting to amenities. Again, if you are looking forward to a totally different pace and availability of goods, services, etc. from what you're used to in OC, then you're going to be just fine. I spent the last five years on a remote Caribbean island, so everything seems like luxury to me! LOL! That said... not only are your shopping options limited in CC (I still buy clothes online or when I'm traveling to a larger city, as I did when I was based in the Caribbean. The type of clothing stores available are not great. Even the random items that Target stocks are not the same/as good as what I buy at Target in, say, Seattle. That demographic thing again...), but I've already made long drives to San Antonio for random services that are just plain unavailable in CC, namely specialty veterinary and medical services. You truly only have the basics in CC. It's a little grumpy to have to drive 2.5 hours (3 hours for me, in Port A) each way for something like a doctor. That's a much larger inconvenience/stressor than if you lived in a suburb, commuting into a city for such things. I was surprised/disappointed by that. Again, as long as you're okay with that, then no big deal.

Enjoy your visit next month or whenever that takes place! The Gulf Coast in TX, while totally different from California, is perfectly lovely. If I can answer any more specific questions for you, let me know!

Old 02-15-2016, 12:51 PM

549 posts, read 353,912 times
You can find an office job in the $15 an hour range as long as your presentable, have good phone and language skills, and can use email and office products. Might start a bit lower but being an industry oriented town personality and ability matter more than formal education when moving up. WorkinTexas.com is a good job search website and LK Jordan and Sterling Personnel are the best temp/headhunter agencies. LK is more office oriented and Sterling more industry oriented.

I'd echo not getting a top floor apartment to save on energy costs. Also one shielded from the western afternoon sun is a good idea. Compared to Orange County your living expenses will be less in an apartment and traffic is not traffic as you know it. Rush hour here is 10 minutes only on about 4 or 5 roads and doesn't exist elsewhere in the city. Overall the city is safe. The economy is growing and diversifying although it is coming down a bit from $100 oil(it was flat out booming 09-14). Water is a lot cleaner than California, just don't swim the day after it rains(like anywhere).

It has all the benefits and minuses of being a city of 300,000 3 hours from San Antonio, Houston, and Austin. It's lower key, slower paced, affordable, no traffic, cheaper but less diverse entertainment, has decent local restaurants, has one store of most mid level corporate chains, and virtually no high end retail. Medical care wise it's always dwarfed by the fact that the biggest medical complex in the world is three hours away in Houston. Considering that every rich person in the world flies there for treatment it's not a bad tradeoff, a little less locally for anything you could need 3 hours away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or