U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2016, 07:37 AM

82 posts, read 66,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
I'm guessing that you're not from the South. Down here - especially in the states that saw lots of battles - the battle flag represents history & heritage, not hatred.

Unfortunately, it has been hijacked by racists / xenophobes like the KKK and neo-Nazi skinheads, and also by rebellious teenage knuckleheads who don't understand and appreciate history but instead view the CBF as a symbol of rebellion.
I agree! I was taught the flag stands for Heritage not Hatred. I can remember discussing this with my grandfather who has been dead many years now, I'm in my 60's. Hanging in his dining room was a picture of my 4th great grandfather that died in 1862 in Manassas City, Virginia at the battle of Bull Run in the Civil War. He is buried in a mass grave. He was in the NC 16TH Regiment Infantry, Company E. Needless to say my grandfather very angry that the flag was being misused by the KKK because it was like spitting on the memory of his ancestors that fought under that flag.

The KKK used the flag in a terrible way, to carry while they spread racial hate. Then to drive nails in the coffin, along came another idiot, Dylann Roof aka the Charleston Shooter who posed with that flag further making people think it was a flag of hate and racism. So, the KKK had convinced people it was about race which isn't correct but rumors are like wildfires, sometimes they get out of control and the damage can't be undone and some people just refuse to see the truth.

The collateral damage to the Confederate flag could not be repaired because some people felt disrespected and targeted racially by that simple piece of cloth. Thus part of our history has been destroyed and removed because people refused to understand the truth.

Sadly there are many in this country that are also offended by the US flag, so I wonder just how long it'll be before that is also removed. I'm hope the Lord calls me home before that happens. These days everything offends someone.

I have my grandfather's flag but fear keeps me from flying on certain days because I might be seen as a racist and nothing is further from the truth but I've read some horrible stories about things done to people that fly the flag now.

Confederate Flag History and meaning:

The concept of the confederate flag symbolism as depicted on the first Confederate flag (1862-1863) was to show the secession of the 11 Southern states from the Union and its declaration of unity to the Confederate. Later on 2 more states joined and the flag's design had to be changed, it took up the new design of the blue cross or X with 13 white stars in (1863-1865). The Confederate flag meaning was clear from the thirteen stars, which in actuality represented the total number of seceded Southern states or colonies, while the blue X represented their unified act of secession from the Union and other Northern states. This final act of rebellion is what led to the American Civil War from 1861 to 1865 which has been engraved as a part of its history. The Civil war was between all the Free states in the Union vs the Confederate States of America which was led by Senator Jefferson Davis who remained the president of the Confederate till the end of his time.

Last edited by Old Folks; 06-27-2016 at 07:47 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 06:22 PM

909 posts, read 1,865,030 times
I fly the CBF. My family fought and died in that war and they never owned a slave. They fought because their homes were being invaded and burnt down by union troops. It's a s simple as that. I fly it proudly.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:58 PM

12 posts, read 11,402 times
who wants to live in south texas anyways???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi