Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 07:29 PM

55 posts, read 128,630 times

Advertisements

Just made my first trip to the Texas coast Thanksgiving weekend. I have lived in Florida & California, and have been to dozens of their beaches. Also, some smaller ones in Georgia and North Carolina. Never have I experienced a beach town as unfriendly as Port A.

I met some very lovely tourists there...a few of whom said exactly the same thing about Port A. The locals this past weekend were...not downright "rude", but extremely frosty and dismissive. This was my experience at nearly every restaurant I went to, the Stripes store around the corner, the IGA on the island, the staff at the seafood market, and the "long term residents" at the motel where I stayed. There was one bar I went to where the people were really friendly and welcoming, and I had a great time hanging out with them. But mostly, the town just seems to hate tourists.

Are Rockport or Corpus better? I wanted to go back to the beach over Christmas. But Port A was disappointing, so I need an Plan B. Just somewhere to relax on the beach with my dog and eat good seafood.

Last edited by wiley9; 11-26-2012 at 07:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 11:49 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,003 times
Personally, I have never experienced rude or "frosty" folks in Port Aransas. I have been there a number of times, and while it sometimes seems rather touristy, it has never left me with a negative impression. Understand, that the town is geared towards outdoor and beach activities, as it is on an island.

As Rockport and Corpus go, I feel both areas are pretty friendly. I have been in the area now for almost 4 years, and I find this area to be alot more friendly than what I saw up in N. Texas, where I lived for 15 years.

Ian

Old 11-28-2012, 12:20 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
I have been down to Port A a hundred times and have never experienced a frosty atmosphere. As with anywhere in the world you might have an encounter with a rude person.

Last edited by rynetwo; 11-28-2012 at 01:05 PM..

Old 11-28-2012, 02:53 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
I prefer Galveston for the people, history, and activities outside just the beach. The beaches/water are nicer in south Texas (like Padre) though.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:17 PM

55 posts, read 128,630 times
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try Rockport or Galveston over Christmas. Hopefully, will have a more positive experience.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
My super condensed admitedly entirely personal opinion: Port Aransas is more bohemian/laid back, Rockport is artsy/yuppie, Galveston is culturaly diverse and slightly ghetto. YMMV

Old 01-16-2013, 05:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley9 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try Rockport or Galveston over Christmas. Hopefully, will have a more positive experience.
Went to Rockport with the dogs this past Thanksgiving and had a great time.
The town is dog friendly and we took the dogs down to the water and had an overall good time.

Went to Charlotte Plummer's for seafood and had a relaxing dinner on the water.

Plan to go back in the summer for a more extended stay. I've been to Port A and now Rockport and prefer Rockport. Haven't been to Galveston so can't give an opinion.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:33 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
We live in North Galveston county, about 1/2 hour from the island. Yeah people are friendly, but a lot of Galveston is run down. There's lots of neat stuff there, but you have to watch what neighborhood you end up in. Corpus is much nicer, and Rockport is in a different league when it comes to condition of the city. Haven't been to Rockport in a few years, and we are wanting to go there for vacation.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:19 PM

16 posts, read 31,437 times
I've lived in Corpus nearly a month. My fiance's dad is from Corpus and therefore my fiancé visited frequently growing up. I've been all over the country coast to coast from tiny mountain towns in CO to down south army towns to NYC... people in this area are the friendliest I've come across in general. Very approachable and willing to help. When we were looking around at homes we were surprised at kind owners welcoming us in and offering an impromptu tour and cup of coffee. My car broke down in a parking lot and people came and offered help I didn't have to ask for. Sorry I can't speak to Port A specifically but this is a big reason we made the move... And tried to be as close to Padre Island as possible. Same hospitality and fantastic beaches.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:23 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid220 View Post
I've lived in Corpus nearly a month. My fiance's dad is from Corpus and therefore my fiancé visited frequently growing up. I've been all over the country coast to coast from tiny mountain towns in CO to down south army towns to NYC... people in this area are the friendliest I've come across in general. Very approachable and willing to help. When we were looking around at homes we were surprised at kind owners welcoming us in and offering an impromptu tour and cup of coffee. My car broke down in a parking lot and people came and offered help I didn't have to ask for. Sorry I can't speak to Port A specifically but this is a big reason we made the move... And tried to be as close to Padre Island as possible. Same hospitality and fantastic beaches.
Curious on what part of Corpus you moved to? I have noticed this area to be very friendly as well. I am a caucasion male, and no matter where I go here, it seems that most folks are willing to smile and say hi, or help out if needed. Also, this area is very laid back... far more so, than from where I came from before moving to this area (N. Texas), and I have been here for nearly 4 years now.

Ian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi