U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2016, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,308 times

Advertisements

Hey I'm a 25yr female moving from Los Angeles just because I want something new...

I have section 8 housing so I'm not really looking for help with finding an apartment.

I really just need to get an idea of what I'm getting into...

Living downtown Los Angeles all of my adult life it's really fast pace, I literally have access to everything don't really have to drive if I don't want to alot of buses and trains

I don't know if I would need to bring my car or can I go without for a while?

I really want to get into a nice culinary arts program I like cooking,

I love beaches, bowling,movies and concerts just fun things that i would like to still have around me .

I'm also on a new healthy lifestyle so I love organic and fresh veggies seafood and fruits could I find this in the corpus area?

I also wonder are there in African American hair salons because i wear Locs, What about soul food restaurants, just small things I think about because I will be so far from home.

Last thing I'm lesbian how is the LGBT scene?

I'm just a friendly person looking for a new adventure. I wonder if this is the place for a young lesbian females to call home!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 09:53 PM

17,031 posts, read 27,782,681 times
You should do more homework on Corpus before you move. Its much slower paced, heavily Hispanic and Catholic.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:50 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,629,619 times
I'm curious--why Corpus Christi, out of all the places in the U.S?

To answer your questions: CC is very slow-paced and unless you plan where you're going to live very carefully, you'll need a car. It's blazing hot and humid in the summer and can be windy and cold in the short summer.

Del Mar College, a two-year community college has a pretty good culinary arts program. It's the only one in town, so do some research on it before you come.

Also do research about the availability of Section 8 housing. It's my understanding that there is quite a waiting list, but that could be wrong.

CC has plenty of beaches, one bowling alley, two movie theaters, and a fair number of concerts. You can find live music at least every weekend, but it's certainly not Austin. Independent films don't stay long if they even come here.

CC has two natural food stores and the local grocery store chain (HEB) also has a decent selection of nice organic produce. Also there are two small but nice Farmers' Markets--one on Saturday morning and one on Wednesday afternoon. There are also some good restaurants.

There is one sort of soul food restaurant that I know of, but it's only open for lunch. I don't know about where you'd get your hair done, but I have Black co-workers who get their hair done so clearly there are places.

CC is funny when it comes to LGBT issues--that I know of, there isn't really a scene, other than a couple of gay bars. But there are gay people here, some in fairly prominent positions, who have out relationships and no one seems to care. It's very laid back in that respect. But I have no idea what your dating prospects would be.

Definitely visit before you make the move. It's very different from what you're coming from and you might love it, or you might not.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:56 PM

200 posts, read 131,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erynshanae View Post
Hey I'm a 25yr female moving from Los Angeles just because I want something new...

I have section 8 housing so I'm not really looking for help with finding an apartment.

Living downtown Los Angeles all of my adult life it's really fast pace, I literally have access to everything don't really have to drive if I don't want to alot of buses and trains

I love beaches, bowling,movies and concerts just fun things that i would like to still have around me .

I'm also on a new healthy lifestyle so I love organic and fresh veggies seafood and fruits could I find this in the corpus area?

I also wonder are there in African American hair salons because i wear Locs, What about soul food restaurants, just small things I think about because I will be so far from home.

I'm just a friendly person looking for a new adventure. I wonder if this is the place for a young lesbian females to call home!!

Don't do it!! You would be absolutely miserable here. I lived in Los Angeles/SoCal for many years and there is nothing remotely like LA. The atmosphere here stifles any kind of creativity or sense of being "different" from the norm. If you like the cinema like in Los Angeles, you will find that the city has only 2 movie theaters and they show only mainstream fare. Do you really live in downtown LA? I thought that the yuppies pushed all of the Section 8 people out? It's hard to believe that Section 8 would be available with the rental scarcity. I don't blame you for wanting to leave LA. It has become too crowded and too divided between rich and poor. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions that I can Answer.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:10 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,519,193 times
DO NOT DO THIS .
It will be hell on earth for you .
I finally, after many tries, left and stayed in Seattle 6 years ago and couldn't be happier . They don't even have a food bank in CC . Not like we are used to out here anyway . They are in various churches once a month ..maybe .. section 8 stays packed .
HUGE waiting lists .
Don't . Plus it's cremation hot .

Old 04-27-2016, 11:33 AM

381 posts, read 967,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erynshanae View Post

Is this a joke? Pretty much everything you want is not in CC. CC is the worst choice for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or