U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you recommend to live in Corpus?
100% - Absolutely, I love it! 6 60.00%
50% - It is ok, nothing special about it... 1 10.00%
25% - I will think twice before moving here... 1 10.00%
0% - NO! DON'T MOVE!! This city sucks! 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,307 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! I would love to hear from anyone who has lived or lives in Corpus.

1) What is the city like? What are the things you enjoy and hate about the city? How long have you lived there?
2) Is there a lot of Hurricanes or anything like that? How bad is the weather?
3) I am also looking for an apartment/studio, which places would you recommend?
4) I see other people complaining about crime, is it really that bad? What experiences have you had?
5) What are some of the activities you could do there?

I will be on my own and any comments would be very helpful to prepare for this!! Thank you so much!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 09:27 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,792,319 times
Rather than answer your poll, I recommend that you look at some of the more recent threads in this forum. A lot of your questions will be answered there.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:22 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,787,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavilla View Post
1) What is the city like? What are the things you enjoy and hate about the city? How long have you lived there?
I grew up in Corpus Christi and spent over 20 years there, prior to moving just last summer. It is a small city. It has a lot to offer for a city its size. There are a lot of activities to go do on any given weekend and heavy traffic is almost non-existent. You can get from one side of the city to the other within 30 minutes, even at rush hour. The city has some nice beaches out on Padre Island. There is a lot of good food for a city its size. Parts of the city look run down and the overall growth of the metro area is rather slow, compared to other large metro areas in the state. Nightlife is sparse and there is no designated entertainment district, as far as nightlife goes. There are a lot of bad neighborhoods in the city and a lot of gangs. However, if you stay out of these areas and don't associate with gang members, you won't have much to worry about.

Hurricanes are few and far between. It seems like anytime it is believed that a hurricane may head to CC, it ends up turning north towards Galveston or Louisiana, or south towards Mexico. Winters are nice and mild. Summers are HOT and very HUMID. CC is in a transition zone between a semi-arid and sub-tropical climate. So it rains more than out west or further south, but doesn't get as much as the eastern half of the state. I believe the city averages 30-34 inches of rain a year.

Downtown is going through a revitalization effort. I would recommend checking out some of the downtown apartments. Just a fair warning, as in any city, there are a lot of transients downtown and the areas surrounding downtown are pretty rough, aside from the immediate areas along Ocean Dr. If you do not want to be downtown, I would recommend anywhere south of South Padre Island Dr and east of Weber Rd. Ideally anywhere near Saratoga Blvd. or Yorktown Blvd. would be the nicest. Of course, this all depends on your budget.

4) I see other people complaining about crime, is it really that bad? What experiences have you had?
I won't sugar coat it. Gang violence and family violence is a major problem there. I was a police officer there for several years and worked in the "ghettos". The vast majority of CC's west side, north side (surrounding downtown), and central areas are lower income neighborhoods that have several "projects" and a large gang population. There wouldn't be a week that past by that I wouldn't work a stabbing, shooting, drive-by, or a robbery. Many weeks I would work multiple of any combination of those. There are also A LOT of drugs in CC. Everything from recreational marijuana to a plethora of all the hard drugs. With that said, as long as you do not associate with gang members, dabble in the drug business, or like hanging out in the hood, you will be fine. A lot of the violence is gang on gang or drug related, and is not random. There are a lot of sketchy people and there are times where I have been "uncomfortable", but as long as you are a normal, productive citizen, there is nothing to worry about. There is property crime just like in any major city. But nothing outside of the ordinary. I was never a victim of crime throughout my stay there.

It depends on what you want to do. There are a lot of tourist attractions, there is Schlitterbahn, minor league baseball, a lot of outdoor activities, a good amount of dining, arts and museums, concerts and entertainment, and even though I mentioned that it is sparse, there is nightlife throughout the city. There is a little bit of everything for everybody. And if ever you need to get away to a big city, Houston, San Antonio and Austin are within a three hour drive of town.

I loved living there. It is my childhood home, and is the only place I have lived other than where I have recently moved to. I would recommend it to anybody who is looking for a laid-back city with very little traffic and a lot of activities to keep them busy on the weekends.

I will be on my own and any comments would be very helpful to prepare for this!! Thank you so much!!

Old 04-27-2016, 03:03 PM

200 posts, read 134,925 times
Quote:

It depends on what youre looking for. If you're young and single, NO!! It might be comfortable for those heterosexual families with kids and older people who just want a simple life. It is extremely hot and humid in the summer months. I don't experience any crime where I live (Everhart & Yorktown). If you're a white Anglo who wants to be around others like you 24/7, it may not be for you if you're used to that kind of environment.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:23 PM

19 posts, read 44,824 times
Yes, I am interested in these things as well. I've studied and read this forum for years....looking for some updated info! In fact, I'm in town this weekend to scope things out. I would love it if anyone wants to meet and share some experience, or if you could point my husband and I in the right direction as far as who to contact for good information especially on the environment, pollution, etc....I seem to find conflicting things in my research so far.

I have contacted the police department (there is actually someone there I'd like to contact, who is a former Marine, and Lived some of the places me and my husband have lived....we are also former Marines, but I'm not sure how to locate this person within the system) and was directed to their Facebook page and spot crime which I have been following.

Thanks for any help

Old 06-10-2016, 11:10 PM

288 posts, read 489,328 times
I've lived here since 2011. The city is a blue collar city that doesn't have a central purpose. It's not a port town, but it has a port. It's not an oil town, but oil can really change the money flowing in and out. It's not a tourist trap, but tourism is a large part of the economy. I really enjoy how there isn't traffic except during spring break. I really hate the lack of central planning or accountability by the city council. Roads, pipes, planned outdoor community spots, and schooling here pretty much suck. There are a few good restaurants, but nowhere near as many as there should be for a city this size. The outdoor festivals (food trucks, dia de los muertos, etc) are so busy that they're basically overrun, but we don't have something every weekend sadly. The farmer's market tries, but it's pathetic really. And healthcare is really lacking here. I say this as a physician, so I have quite a bit of perspective. It's almost like there is a 20 year time warp compared to Houston or San Antonio.

No. Last one was Celia. It only takes one though. We've come through the drought with rain the last 2 years, so at least that's good for the roads/pipes. Other than that, the weather is pretty tolerable. I mean, it's hot, and muggy, and there's mosquitoes, but other than that, very few tornadoes or lightning strikes. Not much hail. Compared to DFW, the weather here is downright peaceful.

Depends on where you're going to work. There's some new ones opening downtown soon. The complex at the corner of Ocean and Airline is also new and looks decent from the outside. Anything on Ennis Joslin or McArdle is going to be mostly college students.

I've had a package stolen from the porch once. And that's it. We have had our car hit by someone without insurance, which is technically a crime as well.

Anything water or wind related. Surfing, kayaking, sailing, kitesurfing, bird watching, sunbathing, you name it. The art museum is actually pretty good, but the collections don't change often enough for the size of it.

Old 06-13-2016, 05:32 PM

4,202 posts, read 3,382,959 times
Quote:

I love the laid-back pace of life (we're on "island time"), and the abundance of outdoor activities. I also like the Aquarium.
I hate the bad drivers here.
I hate the dating scene (or lack thereof) here. Guys, is it just me, or are Corpus chicks crazy?
I also hate the fact that city council / county commissioners haven't done JACK to maintain the infrastructure, and have wasted untold millions putting lights on the Harbor Bridge which they are still planning on tearing down & rebuilding. Also, construction here takes even longer than in San Antonio, which I didn't think was possible.
I've lived here for a few months (this time), and also lived here a few years ago.

Quote:
The weather is hot and very humid. There is a constant breeze of about 15-20MPH that starts around 9 or 10 every morning and blows all day long. Hurricanes are rare, they usually hit to the east of us (Galveston or Louisiana).

Quote:
Depends on your budget. Be advised that rent here is on the high side. If you're south of SPID, stay east of Weber. If you're north of SPID, stay east of Staples. Or live in Portland.

Quote:
Stay out of the areas where you were told not to live, and don't associate with the people gabetx warned you about, and you'll be fine.

5) What are some of the activities you could do there? [/quote]
Fishing!
Windsurfing.
Beach bumming.
Visit the Texas State Aquarium.
Go to the water parks (Hurricane Alley and Schlitterbahn).
Definitely go to a Hooks game (baseball) and an IceRays game (hockey).
Corpus has a lot of independent restaurants, so go try them all.
Do a pub crawl in Port A.
Catch a concert at Concrete St. Ampitheatre, Brewster St. Icehouse, or Dr. Rockit's.
Watch the sun come up over the ocean at any of the local beaches, or watch the sun go down over the water if you know the right spot.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 868 times
Hello
My husband and I are considering moving to North Padre Island. Can anyone tell me what it is like to live on the island and if possible, why are so many people selling there homes on the island?

Thank you

Old 07-11-2016, 09:55 AM

561 posts, read 371,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovethath20 View Post
Hello
My husband and I are considering moving to North Padre Island. Can anyone tell me what it is like to live on the island and if possible, why are so many people selling there homes on the island?

Thank you
Some people love it and others get tired of it after a few years. Those who love it do so because it's in the city but distinctly separated from it. It feels like a vacation community even to those living there full time. It also has a fairly tight social fabric where lots of people know each other and there are community events and such.

That being said by rest of the city terms it's somewhat isolated. It takes a bit of time to run into town to get things so if you are used to making 15 minute trips to the grocery store that isn't in the cards living out there.

The real estate market out there is highly variable because it relies on retirees buying and people buying second homes. In a good economy prices skyrocket and in a bad one they plummet. There are still houses being built out there as well. I'd imagine there are a fair number on the market because the oil boom is down and fewer people are buying at higher prices and second homes are getting sold off. I knew a few people who sold just two years ago because people would knock on their door and make cash offers too good to pass up. That being said now is a decent time to buy compared to the last 5 years. The Schlitterbahn craze has tapered off and there is less oil money chasing the canal houses.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:31 PM

811 posts, read 866,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovethath20 View Post
Hello

Thank you
There is a lot of new construction on the Island - lots of suburban planned communities, as well as vacation-style homes/communities. Previously owned homes for sale are going to sit on the market longer (and be in higher quantities) when development/new inventory is high, which it is. Clearly, developers on the Island are anticipating growth. Lots of building going on, in the expectation that buyers will come.

I'm in Port Aransas, which is one step further out from "the city" than N Padre is, and definitely has a different vibe/character, but it's probably a closer match to the vibe and lifestyle of N Padre than that of CC-proper, and I do spend some time on N Padre. If I can help at all to answer any specific questions about the area, I'm happy to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi