U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 08:34 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,634,337 times

Advertisements

The neighborhoods in the bay area are exactly where I would suggest you look at housing. You really can't go wrong there.

I'm looking at Trip Advisor for hotels in good locations that seem to allow dogs and see the Best Western and the Omni on Shoreline. Both are good locations and have "doggy paw" icons.

Definitely make time to go to Rockport. I still think that would be a great fit for you if you can find affordable housing. There are other little communities right there as well--Aransas Pass, Ingleside and Fulton that might work. Port Aransas is very touristy and expensive.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 06:07 AM

965 posts, read 625,381 times
Thank you Marlow! I was looking on bring fido, I can't believe I didn't check trip advisor I will be sure to check out all of those areas. I'll take a drive along the bay to see what everything looks like, or feels like.

Funny, when I visited last I liked Port Aransas a lot, except the touristy areas, but I loved Mustang Island best. The main reason I wouldn't want to live there is it seem far too vulnerable to storms.
It seems inland from the islands is safer, right? Any areas that flood regularly?

Quite a few (IMO a lot) of the Bay Area houses were built in the 1920s. That they are still standing is amazing. But..... Does that mean they could have been flooded, lost roofs, etc... And have been rebuilt half-way many times, or that they were built in just the right spots?

Aransas pass looks like there might be sketchy areas? No? I couldn't quite figure that out.

For $10 I can get a 7 day pass to South Padre National Seashore. That will probably be the best $10 I spend even if it is just for a few days.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 08-26-2016, 12:27 PM

The older houses in the Del Mar area are built in one of the highest parts of town. It would take something like a 15-foot storm surge to cause bad flooding there. The farther south you go in the city, and the farther from the bayfront you are, the more vulnerable you are to flooding. Everything built on the island, including Port Aransas, is vulnerable to storm surge. That's why you see so many structures built on stilts. Most of the development on the island happened after the last truly major hurricane, Celia, in 1970. But all those areas do have mandatory evacuation orders if it looks like a hurricane is headed their way.

Yes, Aransas Pass and Ingleside both have sketchy areas, but they have nice areas too. Aransas Pass used to be primarily a fishing and shrimping town. Ingleside boomed when there was a navy base there, but it closed several years ago. You're just going to have to poke around and see what gets your attention.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:52 PM

549 posts, read 354,177 times
It'd take a 30 foot storm surge to start flooding Del Mar. It's not really possible for that to happen either given the depth of the bay. There are houses on the Bluff behind Downtown that predate the 1919 storm. Apparently so sturdy that they went to bed the night of the hurricane and woke the next morning having no idea why the power would be out. A 15 by 15 by 15 cube of cotton had been soaked by the water and then carried by the storm surge through the 2 foot thick masonry walls of the power house Downtown.

The Bluff and along Ocean Drive are at between 30-35 feet of elevation and are on a clay cliff essentially. That's why most of the tall office buildings are Uptown. It's very geologically stable. The biggest danger to the Bay Area is the remains of Port Aransas getting blown into it but unless you live right on the water that's not a big issue. Lots of the houses are either masonry or strongly built wood.

Living on the Islands or in Flour Bluff are options but I wouldn't have more than an hours worth of precious things to pack if I did. Some of the high rise condos on Mustang are an option as well. In any case I wouldn't stay out there during a storm. There's a story about Pat Dunn who was the rancher on North Padre getting caught out on the island during a storm. He ended up tying himself to a tall oak in the oak mott by Packery channel(the highest point on the Island). The area immediately around the tree was the only part of the Island not under water and he spent the night in the tree and wind surrounded by every rattlesnake and coyote on the island.

Generally there are three blocks of values along the Bay. Ocean Drive to Santa Fe which are most expensive. Santa Fe to Alameda which is middle high, and Alameda to Staples which are middle. Some individual neighborhoods.

In terms of individual neighborhoods Del Mar has the most variety(Ocean to Staples, Ayers to Louisiana). Del Mar blvd has the big houses and the other streets have smaller ones. There are some very cute ginger bread houses closer to Ayers. It also has a huge variety in terms of condition. A few ruins and some million dollar houses and everything in between.

Very High End neighborhoods: (is for street id if it's not after a street)
Besser Park(Ohio, Indiana, Leming, Rosebud, and Oleander baywards of Santa Fe)
Amistad and Chandler
Hewit
Hyde Park(Jackson, Wishire and Denver between Santa Fe and Ocean Drive) along with Mitchell Bayridge and Bayside
Camden

Middle High:
Alta Plaza to Doddridge bayward of Santa Fe
Meldo Park
Lamar Park(Alameda to Santa Fe Doddridge to Carmel Pkwy)
Circle,Purl, Aberdeen, Ocean View north of Santa Fe(There is some cool mid century architecture in here)
South Shores (Cape Streets and Bayshore, Baycliff)

Mid:
Lindale (Lousiana to Texan, Staples to Alameda)
Pope Place (Staples to Alameda Doddridge to Carmel Pkwy)
Pretty much everything else

There are a few places North of Staples where you will see cheaper or more run down stuff. This is typically stuff that got thrown up quick during the war.

Really distinctive areas are Furman Avenue and Upper Broadway which have old historic homes. Aforementioned Del Mar gingerbreads. Sunset, Melrose, and Primrose along Santa Fe and the other nearby one block streets are sometimes called baby Hewit because people who lived on Hewit would buy them for their kids and fix them up. Some of them are fairly small but very nice.

You can google streets all of these to get a sense of what you want to drive when you are here. If you can give us a size and price range we could narrow things down for you.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:57 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,633,780 times
The OP should also make it a point to check out Portland (where I live). Portland is also located on a "bluff" if you will, that borders a shallow Corpus Christi Bay. Lots of opportunities in this area, and housing is still quite affordable. Plus, you won't be living in the "big" city... rather, you are just a few minutes outside of downtown Corpus Christi. With the new Harbor Bridge going up, this will make access to Corpus easier than ever before (direct access to Crosstown Expressway). '

Ian

Old 09-06-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
The OP should also make it a point to check out Portland (where I live). Portland is also located on a "bluff" if you will, that borders a shallow Corpus Christi Bay. Lots of opportunities in this area, and housing is still quite affordable. Plus, you won't be living in the "big" city... rather, you are just a few minutes outside of downtown Corpus Christi. With the new Harbor Bridge going up, this will make access to Corpus easier than ever before (direct access to Crosstown Expressway). '

Ian
Portland also has a nice dog park.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:28 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,633,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Portland also has a nice dog park.
Another nice place in Portland.. Bayside Park!

Took that pic a few days ago.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:59 AM

965 posts, read 625,381 times
Thank you all so much! I had to cancel the trip, but hope to go in November now. I haven't checked this thread recently because I was pretty bummed with the cancel.
What a beautiful photo, breathtaking, and my favorite time of day!

Jackalope48 what a great breakdown. I am going to print it out. It did confirm a lot of places that I had guessed about. And the storm surge info was nothing less than wonderful. It was a great gift of information! I had pretty much narrowed it down to around Del Mar and south(ish). I am not close to moving, this is just a recon trip. I really need to get the feel of it before I start planning seriously.

In theory I would like to stay under $200000, but I am not tied to that number. I really like the gingerbread houses, older than 1940 is my preference, however I can't live with mold, so I will need to be careful when/ if choosing an older house.

Thanks again, you have all been so helpful. And that photo.... Wow

Old 11-27-2016, 08:02 AM

30,231 posts, read 66,756,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
I am considering a move to Corpus Christi in the future...
I am considering a move to upstate NY... somewhere in the Hudson Valley.
May keep my place here in NC too but probably not for long.

Use that money to buy something down south somewhere for
cold weather migrating.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:04 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,376,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope48 View Post
You will marvel at 20 years of coat fashions when it gets below 60 because cold weather is so rare and short people keep coats a very long time since they go out of fashion long before they wear out and people don't replace them because there is no perception of them being a part of a wardrobe.
This comment about coats cracked me up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or