U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2016, 05:22 PM

4,200 posts, read 3,338,956 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all.

I am wondering about the general reputation of each of the local hospitals, as well as services and departments that are unique to each. A friend recommended avoiding Memorial if at all possible, but being that it's the highest level trauma center in the area, there may be emergency situations where Memorial is the most appropriate facility. Or if specialty surgery is necessary, one facility may have better equipment and staff that the others. I know that sometimes the situation dictates which hospital use, but in the event that multiple facilities are available as options, which would you choose, and why?

I'm asking for the sake of preparation. I don't foresee the need to go to the hospital anytime soon, but if at some point in the future it becomes necessary, I'd like to make an informed decision, especially if that decision must be made on the spot.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 09:11 AM

549 posts, read 354,588 times
Spohn is generally seen in a poor light for anything other than trauma. Memorial is getting merged with Shoreline and I think the only thing left at Memorial now is trauma. Lots of specialty surgery happens at the surgical center behind Spohn South that is owned by local doctors. It was founded by docs upset that Spohn wasn't working with them well on staffing and scheduling for surgery. Given where we are located if it's something like cancer you would be foolish not to go to MD Anderson. The Saudi royal family flies half way around the world to go there and we are a 3 hour drive. In any case you might get the best info from your doctors.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:22 PM

15,246 posts, read 17,637,971 times
I think it really depends on what you need and how much notice you have. For trauma, the ambulance is going to take you to Memorial until they tear it down. I've heard that both the Christus Spohn system and the Doctors's Regional system, which I think includes Bay Area, have high secondary infection rates--MRSA, etc. I don't know that to be a fact, but I would talk about it with the doctor before deciding where to go.

A friend recently has had a very negative experience at MD Anderson. I don't know if that was a fluke, or if something has changed there. It used to have the reputation of being very patient-centered but that was not her experience.

Let's hope we can all avoid the hospital for many years to come.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:14 AM

288 posts, read 482,523 times
I would try and avoid all medical care in Corpus. Even primary care is sketchy at best. I wouldn't take anybody in my family, or my pets to Christus at this point. What they've done with the partial closure of Memorial has made the rest of the system bust at the seams.
San Antonio or Houston are your best bets. The fact that the powers that be have actively resisted a medical school (which drastically improves medical care) should tell you something.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:29 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,637,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mcninja View Post
I would try and avoid all medical care in Corpus. Even primary care is sketchy at best. I wouldn't take anybody in my family, or my pets to Christus at this point. What they've done with the partial closure of Memorial has made the rest of the system bust at the seams.
San Antonio or Houston are your best bets. The fact that the powers that be have actively resisted a medical school (which drastically improves medical care) should tell you something.
I won't argue with you about the hospitals because, thankfully, I don't know much about them.

But I do really like our primary care doctors. My husband and I see a great family medicine doctor and my daughter has had good pediatricians. And I love my OB-GYN and have been seeing her for almost 20 years. I feel confident in their ability to deliver good care.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:00 PM

288 posts, read 482,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I won't argue with you about the hospitals because, thankfully, I don't know much about them.

But I do really like our primary care doctors. My husband and I see a great family medicine doctor and my daughter has had good pediatricians. And I love my OB-GYN and have been seeing her for almost 20 years. I feel confident in their ability to deliver good care.
As someone who teaches and therefore has to stay up on the literature, I frequently see substandard care coming in from the primary care offices. My wife is primary care, and she will echo what she sees, even from her partners.
I'm not saying you don't like them, I'm saying they aren't following the best evidence. The epidemic of antibiotic overuse, and using meds that are 20 years out of date are just the beginning. And remember, the hospitals just follow what the community does as far as medicine. If the community is practicing good medicine, the hospitals follow.
I'm glad you like yours.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:48 AM

4,200 posts, read 3,338,956 times
Thank you all.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:36 AM

1 posts, read 590 times
Slightly old thread but I will add my opinion, based on 15 years of living in Corpus Christi and working in 3 out of the 4 adult hospitals here in town, and having family have surgery at the surgical hospital.
In my opinion, as a 31 year expirenced Registered Nurse that has lived in all 4 corners of the country and worked there, South Texas is behind the times when it comes to medical care, unless you go to Houston, Dallas, or maybe San Antonio. There are many reasons for it, and I don't want to get into that here, but if you live in Corpus Christi, your options are not limited. All the hospitals here, including Memorial, will give you adequate care. They will do a medical screening exam if you come into the ER. They will triage you, and determine if they can handle what your problem is, or send you out to a facility that can. Even if it is 2-4 hours away. The Doctors and Nurses here are like any where else, some good, some great, some not so, and some... well I wouldn't use them. Some of the hospitals here are likely to send you out if you don't have insurance. Christus Spohn will not do that. They accept charity cases. If you live here and don't have insurance, be prepared to be shocked at the prices. And not just in CC.. anywhere in this country, so get some health insurance.
And the best patient is one who is knowledgeable. Don't be that person that doesn't pay attention. Ask you doctor and nurse questions, ask google too. If you have substandard care from a primary care doc, find another. But with that said, finding a primary care doc in this town is difficult. Not many accept new patients. But there are urgent care centers all over town, and with low co-pays. And if you are having something more than they can handle they will send you to a place that can.
Christus Spohn shoreline hospital is the biggest hospital in the city, and has ever service, except for Oby_Gyn and peds. But if you come into the ER with that you will be seen, and either sent to the right place, or it will be handled there.
The sad fact is that medical care in the US is expensive, and yes bad infections are on the rise. Not just here. Years of to many antibiotics have given rise to resistant strains of bacteria that can be difficult to treat. The best way to deal with that is to stay healthy, watch your weight, exercise, eat right, and pay attention to those things like your bp, cholesterol, and family history. But even if you do all that you might need a clinic, or hospital. If its non urgent, ask your doctor which facility he/she prefers and why. Check with your insurance where you can go. If its a emergency, go the nearest one, unless you know they don't have that service there. For instance, when my mother in law broke her hip with a fall, I took her to shoreline, as I knew they have Ortho on call. Even though the ER was busy, we received excellent care there, and the next day she had surgery. She was in rehab in 4 days and home before 3 weeks after the fall. All went well. She has excellent insurance. If she did not, I don't think things would have been much different.
If you live here, don't think you have substandard care here in town. If your coming from another place thinking of moving here, you might find it different, but you will receive the care you need. Most of the comments I have read in this thread are not accurate but then that is my opinion. Take what you read on the internet with a lot of scepticism in mind. You get what you pay for sometimes.
Also the cities EMS crew work hard and will do a good job. They respond fast. They are professional.

One last thing. There are 2 RN nursing schools here, 1 Lvn, and a Pharmacy school. We also have a MD residency program at Shoreline. There is new knowledge coming in and things are changing.
Someone said they would avoid all medical care here in Corpus Christi. Well good luck to you. But that imo is just plain bad advice. Imagine your having a stroke or a MI and you turn down care here to go 4 hours to Houston Med center..... or use a primary care physician in San Antonio and have to drive 3 hours with traffic every time you want to see them. Might work for yearly exams, but come on ... really ? Drive there with the flu? If you live here expect adequate treatment. You might great treatment. You might not have great outcomes but usually that is due to people ignoring their health for long years then expecting miracles. Take care of your self. It pays dividends.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:31 PM

549 posts, read 354,588 times
You are right that EMS is good. Every CCFD with the exception of engineers(the guys driving the firetruck) have to have and maintain paramedic licenses. Corpus was one of the first cities to require this(some still don't) and as a result virtually all of the grandfathered fire fighters without it are retired. That with good response times means a very good cardiac arrest save rate. Think it was 25-30% last I checked when the national average is like 5-10%.

I'm constantly baffled at retirees wanting to live in the country for "safety" not understanding the massive trade off in ems response and training. Corpus response time is usually 3-5 minutes from call to being on site. Rural areas it's more like 30 min to an hour plus transport after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or