U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 04:07 PM

219 posts, read 758,507 times

Advertisements

LOL. You could not find anything uh? Ok.

Some of the figures I have posted such as crime index, corpus compared to the rest of the national are located at THIS SITE.

Week Without Violence | KIII TV3 South Texas | Local News (http://www.kiiitv.com/news/local/10538757.html - broken link)

Here is another link. Of course that was for 2006. But it's getting worse.

Table 8 (Texas) - Crime in the United States 2006 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2006/data/table_08_tx.html - broken link)

If you need help with figures here you go.

If you look at the FBI page below to calculate incidence of crime you do not look at the raw numbers of rapes or murders. You divide the number of rapes or murders by the population to get an incidence per 1,000 population.

For example, Corpus Christi has a population of 291,507 and violent crime is 2,070. So you divide and come up with an incidence of .007 per 1,000 population.

If you look at El Paso the population is 615,553 and the violent crime is 2,413 so the incidence per 1,000 population is about .004

In other words if you live in El Paso the likelihood that you will be the victim of a violent crime is about half of your risk in Corpus Christi.

Let's do rape. Corpus Christi reports 167 and El Paso 291. Corpus Christi has an incidence of .0006 and El Paso is about .0005, or less than Corpus Christi.

Laredo, has a population of 214,670 and violent crime of 1,198. The violent crime rate for them is .006 lower than Corpus Christi. If you look at the rate of rape in Laredo it is about .004 less than Corpus Christi and El Paso.

You can do the same with murder. You can look at the number in population between El Paso and Corpus Christi and see that El Paso had 13 murders with their large population and Corpus Christi, with a much smaller population had 21*.

Last edited by johnbain; 05-22-2008 at 04:28 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 08:05 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,790,570 times
Ok, finally you provide some proof. Now I can say I can believe you about the violent crimes. Other than that though, you really do say pretty much lies.

Still the city is a safer city than what you try to make it out to be. Compare it to other major cities such as Houston, Dallas, Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, Pittsburg (which only has about 30,000 more residents than Corpus), and most other major cities. Then the story is different.

Corpus is like any city though, stay out of the northside and parts of westside and the city is pretty much safe.

You are trying to make it out to be as if Corpus was worse than St. Louis or Detroit! Its nowhere near as bad as those cities.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:18 PM

15,247 posts, read 17,800,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
That's in Port Arthur. In the Golden Triangle. What does that have to do with Corpus Christi?

Old 05-22-2008, 08:37 PM

219 posts, read 758,507 times
gabetx...I provided that proof but nothing I say is lies. Everything I have said is the truth. I lived in the area. Worked in the area. Was involved in trying to clean up the area. Can't believe you still don't know what I do for a living. But. I don't care. I will never post on here again. You can lay out all the proof in front of people and they still refuse to see what is going on. Which is EXACTLY why South Texas is the way it is.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:58 PM

JB,

Looking at your stats, I see that Corpus Christi's crime rate is comparable to that of Arlington. It's slightly higher than Fort Worth and San Antonio. Corpus Christi has a slightly to fairly significantly lower crime rate than Bellmead, Terrell, Lubbock, Paris, Kingsville, Bryan, Junction, Dallas, Greenville, Longview, Galveston and Houston.

And Rockport, which you hold out as the crime capital of South Texas, has a low crime rate at .003.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:55 PM

The numbers I was looking at were for violent crime in general. I didn't list all of the cities with higher crime rates than CC--it's just a sample.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbain View Post
gabetx...I provided that proof but nothing I say is lies. Everything I have said is the truth. I lived in the area. Worked in the area. Was involved in trying to clean up the area. Can't believe you still don't know what I do for a living. But. I don't care. I will never post on here again. You can lay out all the proof in front of people and they still refuse to see what is going on. Which is EXACTLY why South Texas is the way it is.
Your lies are the things like, Oh Corpus is the worst, and Oh Corpus is so corrupt and horrible.

Its just like any other major city in the US. No different.

If you want bad, check out Flint, Michigan. Crime rate of over 1,000 and 50-80 murders a year. Its not even half the size of Corpus!

And you try making Corpus sound bad.

Oh and another city. St. Louis, Missouri. It has only about 50,000 more people than Corpus and there are as many murders a year there as San Antonio. The crime rate is over 1,000 there as well.

So Corpus cant be anywhere as bad as you try to make it out as.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:55 AM

21 posts, read 15,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Still the city is a safer city than what you try to make it out to be. Compare it to other major cities such as Houston, Dallas, Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, Pittsburg (which only has about 30,000 more residents than Corpus), and most other major cities. Then the story is different.
I don't want to involve myself in this discussion but comparing Corpus crime rates with Houston, Dallas, Chicago, Detroit and Pittsburgh wouldn't be truthful as those cities have metro populations much much larger than Corpus. Having 30,000 more people in the city than Corpus would be fine in comparison expect there's millions more living around said city who interact with said city on a daily basis. Corpus doesn't have that. Those places do so it's not shocking that they'd have high crime rates.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:41 AM

9,353 posts, read 17,854,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Your lies are the things like, Oh Corpus is the worst, and Oh Corpus is so corrupt and horrible.

Its just like any other major city in the US. No different.

If you want bad, check out Flint, Michigan. Crime rate of over 1,000 and 50-80 murders a year. Its not even half the size of Corpus!

And you try making Corpus sound bad.

Oh and another city. St. Louis, Missouri. It has only about 50,000 more people than Corpus and there are as many murders a year there as San Antonio. The crime rate is over 1,000 there as well.

So Corpus cant be anywhere as bad as you try to make it out as.

and here is an example of why statistics can be so misleading, if you will allow me a moment.......

the st. louis metropolitan area consists of st. louis city and st. louis and other surrounding counties. well over 140 years ago, the city "divorced" itself from the county and became a separate entity. as happened with MANY of the more heavily industrial areas over the last 40-50 years or so, people with the means to do so started leaving the city and settling in the surrounding suburbs, which then left the city with mostly only those who could not afford to do so..... and this is the population that begats criminal activity such as drug dealing, shooting, murders, etc. ..... over the last 15 years or so, the city is gradually turning itself around and people are discovering very cool housing stock that can be had for very little.... neighborhoods are stabilizing and improving..... the schools are still a mess and crime is still a problem..... but not like it was....

so yes, the crime stats for st. louis are high (read st. louis CITY) .... but that is primarily a function of the population that is "stuck" there, and mostly in the northern neighborhoods. this has got to be if not THE, then one of the most segregated places i have ever lived or even visited. there is no opportunity for people in these areas and it is EXTREMELY difficult to overcome the hurdles that are thrown in front of them to better their lot in life. my partner and i do a lot of work certifying affordable housing and even we make sure we are never alone and are on our way home by dark. nothing of value is left in our cars while we are working; if i have to take my purse, it is in my trunk BEFORE i even leave home.....

oh and by the way..... i moved here in 1986 and lived "in the city" for 6 years and never really had a problem.... other than my car being broken into once.... THAT is where I get the authority to talk about behaving with a modicum of common sense.... in fact... i LOVE the city and when i was house-shopping in late 2004, considered moving back into the city. but knowing i was going to be single, i wanted an attached garage (not something typical with 100+ year old houses)...... also, i have had a number of problems with my knees and hips in recent years and stairs were not appealing..... ..... so here i am now in suburbia, living in a county with probably the highest rate of meth lab busts in the nation.... and yes, that is another statistic, but i can't remember when or where i saw it..... but this is another issue that i really don't have problems with.... it is in the more rural areas of my county.... places i have no reason to go to.....

sorry to be so long-winded, but when i see statistics being thrown about to prove how awful one place is as compared to another .... .003 to .006 means you have TWICE THE CHANCE of being murdered ... it just annoys the crap out of me.... in my mind, both numbers are miniscule .... now if one of the numbers was .10 or .20, i might be a little more concerned....

Old 05-23-2008, 09:06 AM

But still, they have higher crime rates. That is the ratio for the population of the city. So you cant say that it is misleading. Regardless of the city's size, the crime rate is the ratio of crime per 100,000 people. So you cant say cities that are much bigger have a reason.

Plus suburbs usually 90% of the time consist of good, high wealth neighborhoods. (Excluding California. Its the opposite over there.)

For instance for Houston: Some suburbs are:

Sugarland
Katy
Jersey Village
Aldine
Deer Park
The Woodlands
Pasadena

They are all high wealth neighborhoods. Same goes for most other cities. Suburbs are high wealth very low crime areas. So they really wouldn't put much of a difference in the principal city's crime rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or