U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2008, 04:47 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,920,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
I was just wondering Jammie you are so nice is that why you are a moderator?? I am trying to understand this site and who does what or how u move up to senior like I just did today
Thank you for the compliment. You probably moved up to Senior Member because of the amount of posts. As far as my being a Mod~I think they were just desperate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 09:27 PM

49,983 posts, read 39,868,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escantrell View Post
Just 20 minutes. If you go over the bridge from CC proper, you just continue on SPID (the main road thru town) for about 10 miles. You cannot drive all the way to S. Padre, but you can get close. There is a waterway that you can't get through.

Love the SPID corridor and the causeway. Just so you know, North Padre to South Padre is about 120 miles, so you may not want to go its full length.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:34 AM

4,345 posts, read 8,580,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Thank you for the compliment. You probably moved up to Senior Member because of the amount of posts. As far as my being a Mod~I think they were just desperate.
Well you do a really great job as Mod. It seems you are interested in everything people say and always have nice comments. My son noticed that too....he said who is thie Jammie...I said I think she's in charge.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutarian View Post
LOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...... ...........Gorgeous?................LOL!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........I think some people need to travel.......
I travel all over but if he says it's gorgeous I bet it is....

Old 06-01-2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Love the SPID corridor and the causeway. Just so you know, North Padre to South Padre is about 120 miles, so you may not want to go its full length.
Yes that is far, it would take a long time...maybe some other road/beach trip

Old 07-16-2008, 04:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,459 times
HI I am a nurse in the United Kingdom and considering a job offer in the Christi Spohn Health System Hospital. I am originally from the Asia Pacific so the weather is the same on summer. I have a 6 month old daughter I will take with us when she will be 2 yrs. old. Can somebody tell me honestly if it is a good place to move on to. Please...........

Old 07-18-2008, 12:38 AM

50 posts, read 155,953 times
Not at all. High crime...don't do it.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:48 AM

304 posts, read 1,051,253 times
We relocated to Corpus in Jan and live in a new development of 18 households from various parts of the country including a couple from London, UK. Everyone loves it so far and all found employment immediately if they had not lined up employment before arriving. Crime is 99% confined to one area on the northside of downtown. If you are not dealing drugs or in a gang you have little to worry about. Calallen and Flour Bluff have the best schools which you will be concerned with in a few years.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:52 AM

6 posts, read 40,905 times
I'm orginally from England but have been in the US for years now. I've lived in 4 states: California , Iowa, Nebraska and now Corpus Christi, TX. We are enjoying it here. The people are very friendly and much nicer than Nebraskans who are very quiet, not at all friendly and have a problem making eye contact. I lived in Lincoln and then Omaha for a total of 10 years and could not wait to leave. We picked Corpus because my partner lived here for 10 years in the 80s when she worked for BP. I wanted somewhere completely different and so here we are. 16 months later I think it was a good choice. We live in South Corpus and have not had any problems with crime. Crime is in every city and if you look for it you will find it. It was not possible to walk in downtown Omaha at night for fear of mugging. So I was careful. Similarly I would not go to North CC at night and walk around either. Some people have mentioned drug problems in CC. Again, have no idea. If you look for it I would assume you can find it- the same can be said in all cities. The midwest I 80 corridor has a huge meth problems and houses were regularly raided in Lincoln and Omaha as meth labs so I know this is a huge midwest problem and I would guess too a huge S Texas problem.

We enjoy the beaches. Our favorite is the Mustang Island state park and the state park on Padre - Malaquite beach. You have to pay the park fee but it is worth it. I also like the Padre Island beaches. I don't like the North Shore area at all.

The neighborhood we live in is quiet and neat. It is an older neighborhood and not one of the new developments. I've found the neighbors to be very friendly - just people in general in this town are very nice and it is a great change from the frostiness of the Midwest. As a lesbian couple we are always concerned when we move as we have both experienced out right hostility and nastiness over the years and so this is something we think about, but we have found our neighbors and the people to be lovely and gracious.

Some other positves about the town include the size. We thought about moving to Austin but the prices and the population are growing everyday. We steered clear of the Dallas and Houston mess. Lovely to visit but can't face the thought of living there.

I also like the fact Corpus is a close drive to a lot of little towns like Rockport and Aransas. There are beaches, state parks, fishing etc.

I hear a lot of people complaining about the roads in this town but I really don't get it. Try driving in Omaha in the SPring - The roads are full of potholes - some huge tire busters. They patch through the summer, then ice and snow again and back to 3-4 months of giant holes and crevices to dodge until they patch again. Corpus has a few bumpy roads and the odd pothole so I don't know what all the complaining is about.

Corpus has some nice areas and some shabby areas. Like any city as far as I am concerned. Again, no different than the last two towns I lived in. Some areas were nice, some medium and some you stayed far away from. Some people mentioned St. Louis earlier in the thread. It is hard to compare CC to St Louis because St. Louis is a big city. But I have been to St. Louis and some areas look like burned out war zones. I found it to be a horrible city and the slums were scary. A great gay area though!

SHopping and restaurants are not so great here. I am not a big shopper so don't care. We love to eat out and have only found a couple of places we like. We don't like a lot of the chain places so keep looking for a good locally owned place. Any suggestions?

THe downtown needs a lot of renovation but things seem to be happening. I like the downtown but mostly see the potential and wonder why it was left to run down. Most cities are pouring big money into downtown revitalization. I think this is starting to happen here but slowly.

I don't know about the job situation. My partner is retired and I work for a Virginia company totally online. So hopefully will never have to jump into the CC job market.

THe only thing I miss about Omaha is The Readings Grounds - a GLBT bookstore and coffee shop. I miss my friends in Lincoln.

Does anyone know of any GLBT friendly coffes shops, bookstores, potluck groups in this area? This is the downside of living in a smaller area.

Meltre

Old 08-22-2008, 09:12 AM

304 posts, read 1,051,253 times
Here are a few restaurants we have found and enjoyed: Yard Arm, U&I, Pier99 and Docs.
We are not fast food or chain lovers either, nor are we shoppers (except for garage sale bargains). We are friends with a lesbian couple that just relocated to Corpus from Mpls last December so we will check with them and have them post what they have found in the GLBT community in CC thus far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or