Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 07:36 AM

162 posts, read 705,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Not much to do for a trendy urban person. There are a lot of outdoor stuff. If you are an outdoors person, then you would like it here. Other than that, not much. Watch a movie, catch a Hooks or Ice Rayz or Sharks game, go to the club, spend half an hour in the mall before getting bored, go to Best Buy (even though I work there), get fat at one of the 1,000,000,000 taqueria's in this city. That is about it. Unless you just like cruising around.
Agreed. I'm far from boring, but this city is lacking big time. I'm not an outdoors person (or maybe I would be if it weren't so friggin' hot), but the activities here are extremely limited. Besides, I'm pretty sure my son's are going to behead me if I take them to the aquarium one more time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 11:19 AM

244 posts, read 804,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalallenMom View Post
Agreed. I'm far from boring, but this city is lacking big time. I'm not an outdoors person (or maybe I would be if it weren't so friggin' hot), but the activities here are extremely limited. Besides, I'm pretty sure my son's are going to behead me if I take them to the aquarium one more time.
What would you like to see in CC? I here complaints that there's nothing to do but no suggestions as to what is missing. There are museums, cultural activities, festivals, art shows, live music, educational programs, etc. What exactly are you looking for?

Old 09-25-2009, 10:16 AM

14 posts, read 43,637 times
I enjoy the beach as much as the next bloke, but it's the Gulf. There's nothing 'ocean-like' about the place. Hence the stagnant, dirty dishwater and 2 foot waves.

CC, whereas less than 20 of the nearly 300,000 souls possess a Bachelor's degree should tell you plenty. Especially with regards to the Government types playing the 'We know what's best' mantra. Hence the career bureaucrats and nothing to allure, appeal to the educated populous consider moving to CC. Thus the 'quality' of jobs available are slim picking.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:50 PM

CC actually has a large number of high school and college graduates. There's a new study that just came out and I'll pass it along when I can. And Gulf water is just as natural as ocean water. Just because it's not crystal blue does not mean it's any worse than any other part of the planet. Some people just don't know how to appreciate great things, "hence" all the negative people and thus the complaining that goes on all the time. The rest of us are having a great life in a great city. You should try opening your eyes more often.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:55 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,962 times
Agreed, bb54321. People make there lives what they are due to their attitude. If you don't like something, or where you live in this example, you will always be miserable. If you cannot change where you live, try to look at the brighter side of things, and be open to trying new things out.. you may discover you enjoy these activities common to the area.

Yes, Corpus is primarily an "outdoors activity" city, and the city is marketed as such. But do consider the facts that 1.) We are next to the coast 2.) We enjoy year-round good weather (for the most part), 3.) Many recreational businesses are geared toward the beach/fishing/water sports aspects this area has to offer. Thus, alot of the more "inland" businesses you see in SA, Austin, etc are not going to make it to this part of the world due to how CC is marketed. So, try to enjoy what we do have here. Coming from N. Texas, I absolutely love this area. It was the very best move I could have made! But then again, I look at the beauty of what this place has to offer. I also enjoyed the time I spent in N. Texas, as I try to maintain a postive outlook on these types of things.

Ian

Old 10-02-2009, 11:13 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Agreed, bb54321. People make there lives what they are due to their attitude. If you don't like something, or where you live in this example, you will always be miserable. If you cannot change where you live, try to look at the brighter side of things, and be open to trying new things out.. you may discover you enjoy these activities common to the area.

Yes, Corpus is primarily an "outdoors activity" city, and the city is marketed as such. But do consider the facts that 1.) We are next to the coast 2.) We enjoy year-round good weather (for the most part), 3.) Many recreational businesses are geared toward the beach/fishing/water sports aspects this area has to offer. Thus, alot of the more "inland" businesses you see in SA, Austin, etc are not going to make it to this part of the world due to how CC is marketed. So, try to enjoy what we do have here. Coming from N. Texas, I absolutely love this area. It was the very best move I could have made! But then again, I look at the beauty of what this place has to offer. I also enjoyed the time I spent in N. Texas, as I try to maintain a postive outlook on these types of things.

Ian
I am glad that you like Portland so much. I grew up in Gregory () and I loved the area very much, though not Gregory. As children we were always outdoors. We would go places where only our feet could take us to discover nature and wildlife. I remember capturing frogs and trying to recreate their environment at home. We would sit under a small railroad bridge for hours patiently waiting for creatures to go by. We actually saw a wild cat and later discovered small paw prints. I would check out books at the Portland library to learn about the local wildlife and ecosystems.

There were so many things we did for fun: capturing seafood at Copano Bay by Bayside, visiting the tiny church at Lamar, going to Aransas Pass National Wildlife Refuge and overlooking the bay, visiting the sand dunes in Portland, visiting the beaches and enjoying the silence, watching GP High School theatre, watching jelly fish glow under the Nueces Bay Causeway.

These may seem like boring activities to "cultured" people but really, the activities are not that reason I have fond memories of the CC area. It was the people that I did the activities with, specifically my mom. With the kind of money she made (she was a housekeeper) she had to stretch her money as far as she could. $8 a person for a movie at the theatre for 1.5 hrs. was too expensive to entertain children. So she took us out and had us discover the land. We just got used to the weather; it never held us back. I just got so much more out of that experience than going to the mall, going to play Put Put, movies, etc. Don't get me wrong, I did those things occasionally and they were fun. Museums never interested me until I went to one in Bismarck, ND. It was a museum of natural history.

I live here in Fort Lauderdale and I hear the same complaints about humidity, heat, lack of things to do. Can somebody please tell me where is this perfect city? Is it New York City? Then move there so you can be happy. The rest of the country has a right to its own identity, lifestyle and culture. If you are really stuck where you are then I suggest finding people who share your interest and start something together. I just quit a meetup.com group because NOBODY wanted to meet at a local park (meet and greet) because it is TOO hot. Well, tough, I am not inviting people I don't know into my home especially when nobody else was willing to open up their own homes. The residents of this area are too transient to take a risk like that.

Growing up the way I did without attractions, theme parks, museums, theatre, and MONEY, forced my family to be resourceful, creative and appreciative of what Texas had to offer us. It made us tough when it came to outdoors. What we returned to Texas was a good attitude, respect to the land and the people and a desire to do better.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:11 PM

6 posts, read 15,000 times
Default Austin shines for much the reason Corpus does

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
What can you do in Austin that you can't do in Corpus Christi? Aside from more bars and restaurants it's not much more than your average big city...
Much of what distinguishes Austin from many big cities is precisely what's also neat about Corpus: the intersection of the urban with the outdoors. Austin has more trails, creeks, parks, walkable greenspace, and wildlife habitat than most cities. Malls are boring. Wherever they are. Yeah, it's great to have bars, restaurants, coffee houses, etc. It takes density and people patronizing them. Bring more residents into the inner city, and more of these will thrive.

Hot and outside is where it's at.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:05 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
I always wondered why CC didnt have many condos down near the water front. Would be a nice place for young folks to live. Kind of like Midtown in Houston is getting. Is it there arent enough single folks who could afford say 200k for a 2/2 condo/townhouse. With all the plants there should be some decent money in town, and construction costs arent high.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:24 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Corpus Christi is a very nice town.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rturpin View Post
Much of what distinguishes Austin from many big cities is precisely what's also neat about Corpus: the intersection of the urban with the outdoors. Austin has more trails, creeks, parks, walkable greenspace, and wildlife habitat than most cities. Malls are boring. Wherever they are. Yeah, it's great to have bars, restaurants, coffee houses, etc. It takes density and people patronizing them. Bring more residents into the inner city, and more of these will thrive.

Hot and outside is where it's at.
Have to agree with you. Austin and CC are the most unique larger cities in Texas. And yes, hot and outside is indeed where it's at. It's good for you to sweat people!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi