Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,164 times

Advertisements

Iam considering moving to Corpus from Ohio. Ihave a teenaged son who needs no more negative influences. I love the weather and being close to the water. Please give me some honest input, I have read alot of negative stuff- makes me kinda nervous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 06:39 PM

135 posts, read 499,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliby View Post
Iam considering moving to Corpus from Ohio. Ihave a teenaged son who needs no more negative influences. I love the weather and being close to the water. Please give me some honest input, I have read alot of negative stuff- makes me kinda nervous.
there is nothing wrong with CC....some people dont like the fact that it is not very progressive, but i love it. its a passive, laid back city, not crowded but yet has enough to do. you should visit and decide for yourself, but i know you will like it.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:53 PM

404 posts, read 1,245,267 times
It can be a great place to spend teenage years but it's got to be up to your son to make the right decisions. Of course, there are the typical negative influences (drugs, alcohol, low-lives) in C.C. just as in every city in the country but if he chooses a healthy lifestyle then he will probably love living on the coast. If he's driving yet, it's a breeze - light traffic and really easy to get around. I always thought the people that live there were very friendly and I found immediate acceptance when moving as a teen from a much larger city.

Admittedly, a lot of the teenagers gripe there's not enough to do but I sometimes wonder what they think they'd be doing if they were in a bigger city. Unless they're involved in sports or school clubs, etc., most kids don't do much but hangout anyway, no matter where they are. So, if he decides to get into an outdoor lifestyle - the beach, light surfing (waves not much bigger than a bathtub but still fun), fishing or going to the beach then maybe he'll really like it...at least for a few years.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:45 PM

61 posts, read 197,342 times
the economy is stagnate. the summers are brutal (sometimes there is a few freezing days of the year). also, corpus christi is exposed to hurricanes because we are on the coast. other than that we have two seasons SUMMER SUMMER SUMMER and WINTER. depending what side of the city you live on, you may experience some serious ghettoness. oh and the school i go to is 50 years old and trashed out. according to CCISD, they plan on doing some extreme funding cuts. (you could always consider a private school, they are all pretty nice) the bayfront area is beautiful, but then you drive a few blocks inland and it turns into trashy, ghetto, unkept buildings. now, people who have lived here say that there's nothing to do, but thats just because they have seen everything. there is the mall (there are two, but one is like a ghost town all the time) the beach, the lexington, the texas state aquarium, plenty of restauraunts, the american bank center to bring live shows to the city, there are a few movie theaters, selena auditorium, harbor playhouse, plenty of yearly festivals and live concerts, whataburger field (baseball field, very fun), a few museums, good fishing and wind surfing, and plenty of downtown bars and stuff. i disagree saying that people say there's nothing to do, they are probably too lazy to get up and look around. as far as jobs and economy go, barely anything ever changes. crime rate is pretty bad considering the city's size. if you want a city full of people who act like cowboys, corpus isnt for you, try west texas (we lack the heavy texas accent that exists in other parts of texas, except we do say yall) one redeeming factor is corpus's awesome tex-mex

Last edited by social bunny; 02-23-2011 at 05:03 PM..

Old 02-23-2011, 05:13 PM

61 posts, read 197,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Corpus is nowhere near the Hottest city in the US McAllen, Phoenix and Las Vegas are all hotter.

The writer said he did NOT want to live in the city. I would then suggest the nice little beach town of Rockport - although its better demographically for women than men - at least in the 40-55 age group.
The temperatures in Las Vegas are very high, but the humidity is low, so it makes the heat more bearable. Corpus, reaches fairly high temperatures with rediculous humidity which drives the heat index well above 100 during the summer (i think its reached 110 before). yes, corpus isn't technically as hot as las vegas, but it feels alot hotter than it is because of the heat index.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:55 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by social bunny View Post
we have two seasons SUMMER SUMMER SUMMER and WINTER.
It is a big stretch to call it WINTER, its more like spring in many places.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:50 AM

484 posts, read 1,631,815 times
Here it is,,, the 28th of Feb,,, could we have a more perfect day?

Outside temp is 75f, and the humidity is 29%, winds are semi-calm, and my wife's herbs and tomatoes are growing like crazy in the garden.

It just doesn't get any better than today.

Is Corpus Christi is a good place to move? That depends on what you want from life.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:05 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Couldn't agree more. Although we all complain about the heat, February through April and October through December in Corpus Christi can be really great. Here's to dry, crisp sunny days!

Old 03-01-2011, 11:57 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
Here it is,,, the 28th of Feb,,, could we have a more perfect day?

Outside temp is 75f, and the humidity is 29%, winds are semi-calm, and my wife's herbs and tomatoes are growing like crazy in the garden.

It just doesn't get any better than today.

Is Corpus Christi is a good place to move? That depends on what you want from life.

sounds like HEAVEN.....

Old 03-02-2011, 03:46 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
sounds like HEAVEN.....
Oh, it is quite heavenly! Didn't you used to live here? Seems like I recall you doing so..

.. and as far as the heat goes after April, I don't mind it at all. We get such a good seabreeze here, that it completely mitigates the worst of it. Coming from N. Texas, I can tell you its night and day difference. The heat up there during the summer is like a blast furnace! The summer of 2000 saw over 70 days of 100 degree plus weather where I lived at (Wichita Falls). That summer, I drove a concrete mixer truck with no air conditioning. Just had the windows down. It was the most miserable summer I can remember of!

So, is Corpus Christi a good place to move to? If you like nearly year round warm weather, lots of outdoorsy things to do, beaches, fishing, water sports, living just over 2 hours from San Antonio, great hispanic and TexMex flavor, you will absolutely love it here! I know I do!

Ian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi