U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 11:27 AM

11,431 posts, read 17,040,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
you dont consider pot/marijuana a "real drug"? so are you saying you wouldnt be upset if your kids (if you have any), were smoking pot???????????????

i don't have any kids, and wouldn't encourage pot use when they're children of course. once they are adults, i think that they could make up their own minds as long as they do it in moderation. i'm more for the "netherlands" way of doing things, letting adults make their own decisions regarding "soft drugs" and other things without harsh judgment and gov't poking its ugly head into your every behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 10,913 times
Default Need Advice

Hello,
My first post. Just got a job at Christus Spohn Hospital so will be moving to Corpus in about 2 mo. Am a single <30 yo male interested in nightlife and beach activities and preferably less than 30 minute drive to the hospital. Pretty sure I want to live on South Padre Island but would appreciate input on all locations. Where are some of the more "happening" places in Corpus. Also will probably be buying a condo. Would like a 2bed 2 bath and for about 130k is this a realistic goal? Again any advice is welcome. Thanks

Old 04-19-2008, 05:31 PM

219 posts, read 755,216 times
No Drugs in Corpus..r u serious? Try pot, coke is VERY big..meth is huge and small amounts of heroin...

Old 04-19-2008, 06:25 PM

3,494 posts, read 13,247,459 times
yikes. i am an Emergency Room Registered Nurse and I worked for them. be careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordup View Post
Hello,
My first post. Just got a job at Christus Spohn Hospital so will be moving to Corpus in about 2 mo. Am a single <30 yo male interested in nightlife and beach activities and preferably less than 30 minute drive to the hospital. Pretty sure I want to live on South Padre Island but would appreciate input on all locations. Where are some of the more "happening" places in Corpus. Also will probably be buying a condo. Would like a 2bed 2 bath and for about 130k is this a realistic goal? Again any advice is welcome. Thanks

Old 04-19-2008, 06:27 PM

uh sorry but MARIJUANA is ILLEGAL. (not talking about medical marijuana now), harsh judgement? well, i presume then that you think law enforcement officers should not arrest people in possession of marijuana? this aint Alaska. this is Texas....thank God!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
i don't have any kids, and wouldn't encourage pot use when they're children of course. once they are adults, i think that they could make up their own minds as long as they do it in moderation. i'm more for the "netherlands" way of doing things, letting adults make their own decisions regarding "soft drugs" and other things without harsh judgment and gov't poking its ugly head into your every behavior.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:51 PM

1,254 posts, read 3,189,403 times
Quote:
you dont consider pot/marijuana a "real drug"? so are you saying you wouldnt be upset if your kids (if you have any), were smoking pot???????????????
Probably no more upset if they were caught drinking or smoking cigarettes. Whatever your personal feelings on pot is or the legalities, the fact is its less harmful than alcohol & cigarettes.

Most states have decriminalized it anyways as there are MUCH bigger fish to fry than pot.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:55 PM

well alcohol and cigarettes are harmful too, but smoking a cigarette is not going to be mind-altering and cause someone to get in a wreck. smoking marijuana is a depressant, and is mind-altering and if someone is under the influence of marijuana and is driving, it can affect their driving ability and hence putting the public at risk.
and marijuana is or can be a "gateway drug", meaning it can lead to use of harder drugs.
oh and isnt marijuana smoking bad for your lungs????

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Probably no more upset if they were caught drinking or smoking cigarettes. Whatever your personal feelings on pot is or the legalities, the fact is its less harmful than alcohol & cigarettes.

Most states have decriminalized it anyways as there are MUCH bigger fish to fry than pot.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:13 PM

1,254 posts, read 3,189,403 times
Quote:
well alcohol and cigarettes are harmful too, but smoking a cigarette is not going to be mind-altering and cause someone to get in a wreck. smoking marijuana is a depressant, and is mind-altering and if someone is under the influence of marijuana and is driving, it can affect their driving ability and hence putting the public at risk.
and marijuana is or can be a "gateway drug", meaning it can lead to use of harder drugs.
This is true. I was just making the point that it isnt as harmful overall. There have been many a study of the effects while driving. And although its never good to be under the influence of anything while driving, its not nearly as debilitating as alcohol intoxication is. It's much MUCH worse being drunk. Have you ever seen a stoner lose balance & coordination, falling over themselves?? No.

And yes. Its just as harmful to the lungs (maybe worse since there is no filter). BUT, the key difference is quantity. Even the biggest pot heads ever dont smoke 2 packs of joints a day, day in day out like a hooked cigarette smoker would.

FYI, I'm not for ANY of these things, they're all bad in their own way. Just saying pot isn't as bad as they have lead us to believe for all these years, especially during the "just say no" era. The history of this drug & how it became illegal is an interesting story. But trust me, its not because its "dangerous" or a "gateway drug". At least not as dangerous as other things that ARE legal.

If you ever get a chance, watch the History Channel documentary called Hooked: Illegal Drugs And How They Got That Way (Marijuana). Reefer Madness is a hoot too.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:16 PM

11,431 posts, read 17,040,260 times
Quote:
smoking pot for one's own personal pleasure is one thing. driving and smoking pot are another. this argument is no different than drinking & driving, which most would say is wrong. are there any legitimate studies that prove definitively that "pot" is a gateway drug? most of my roommates in college bonged up every night and they never graduated into anything else.
as for law enforcement, their job and the govt's is to keep us in constant fear so that they can rule us with an iron fist and keep us in line. this includes regulation of all behavior.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:25 PM

well the bottom line is that it is illegal. i work for the US ARMy. i can have a beer tomorrow nite or smoke a cigarette, and i wont fail a drug screen monday morning. if i used marijuana, i would test hot and would lose my job.

by the way, my family lives on Kauai (western most of the major Hawaiian islands), and there are tons of "potheads" there. people who have smoked pakalolo (pidgin for pot) all their lives. they talk like potheads. duh duh duh. so it MUST do something to the brain cells. (it also affects fertility)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
smoking pot for one's own personal pleasure is one thing. driving and smoking pot are another. this argument is no different than drinking & driving, which most would say is wrong. are there any legitimate studies that prove definitively that "pot" is a gateway drug? most of my roommates in college bonged up every night and they never graduated into anything else.
as for law enforcement, their job and the govt's is to keep us in constant fear so that they can rule us with an iron fist and keep us in line. this includes regulation of all behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or