U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2008, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 7,558 times

Advertisements

Here are a few additional reasons why Corpus Christi is so "undiscovered"...

Too many refineries pouring out too many "unknown" cancer causing chemicals. And the beaches in and around CC usually have tar balls from so many 1000's of small oil leaks from the 1000's of drilling rigs out in the Gulf.

New Orleans and Corpus Christi are but one badly directed F5 hurricane away from a disaster, well beyond Hurricane Katrina.

Remember Bhopal India, if not see this link...[url=http://www.commondreams.org/views06/1205-21.htm]22nd Anniversary of the 1984 Bhopal Chemical Disaster[/url]

Benzene gas from Koch' Refinery in Corpus...
The Dark Side of Texas: Pete Maiden Reports on Corpus Christi's Koch Industries : Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/13751944/the_dark_side_of_texas_pete_maiden_reports_on_corp us_christis_koch_industries/1 - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 06:34 PM

3,494 posts, read 13,309,195 times
all i know is that when i lived in that area for one year last year, as an Emergency Room Registered Nurse, for the first time in my 17 year career, i saw RN's working in the hospital with turbans on, breast cancer survivors going thru chemo, and heard about the nurses that had died from cancer (and i am not talking old..i am talking middle aged like me age 43) and lots of employees talking about family members with cancer.
i was very alarmed to say the least,about the incidence of cancer, esp breast cancer in that area. and no, dont say i am the only one or i have the wrong impression....the hospital network had an intranet, and several employees wrote to the "open forum" to administration, pleading them to do a study on why the high incidence.........
just one of a multitude of reasons why i moved away from there as soon as i could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad City Guy View Post
Here are a few additional reasons why Corpus Christi is so "undiscovered"...

Too many refineries pouring out too many "unknown" cancer causing chemicals. And the beaches in and around CC usually have tar balls from so many 1000's of small oil leaks from the 1000's of drilling rigs out in the Gulf.

New Orleans and Corpus Christi are but one badly directed F5 hurricane away from a disaster, well beyond Hurricane Katrina.

Remember Bhopal India, if not see this link...22nd Anniversary of the 1984 Bhopal Chemical Disaster

Benzene gas from Koch' Refinery in Corpus...
The Dark Side of Texas: Pete Maiden Reports on Corpus Christi's Koch Industries : Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/13751944/the_dark_side_of_texas_pete_maiden_reports_on_corp us_christis_koch_industries/1 - broken link)

Old 05-02-2008, 08:59 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,792,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
all i know is that when i lived in that area for one year last year, as an Emergency Room Registered Nurse, for the first time in my 17 year career, i saw RN's working in the hospital with turbans on, breast cancer survivors going thru chemo, and heard about the nurses that had died from cancer (and i am not talking old..i am talking middle aged like me age 43) and lots of employees talking about family members with cancer.
i was very alarmed to say the least,about the incidence of cancer, esp breast cancer in that area. and no, dont say i am the only one or i have the wrong impression....the hospital network had an intranet, and several employees wrote to the "open forum" to administration, pleading them to do a study on why the high incidence.........
just one of a multitude of reasons why i moved away from there as soon as i could.
Studies have been done.

According to a map from the National Cancer Institute, the rate of breast cancer in Nueces County is 108.5 per 100,000 people and 105.4 in Kleberg County. By comparison, in Coryell County it is 114.6 per 100,000 and Travis County has one of the highest rates in the state at 131.6 per 100,000. The RGV has some of the lowest rates.

Maybe what you were seeing was the result of early detection and treatment.

Last edited by Marlow; 05-02-2008 at 09:08 AM..

Old 05-02-2008, 04:52 PM

319 posts, read 844,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
i firsthand witnessed the corruption of ICE (immigration and customs enforcement) and USBP (United States Border Patrol) agents,steal money from my patients (illegals)...for instance, they would come in injured from a rollover which occured when their driver/coyote was in a high speed chase, and they would be ejected from the vehicle, and when i had to tear off their clothes with trauma shears, i would find thousands of dollars hidden in secret compartments built into their underwear, britches, what have you...and then later on, after i stabilized my trauma patient, and they were able to communicate, they would ask where their valuables were. all the money would be gone...and it was so easy, for those agents to steal their money, cuz illegals have no leg to stand on...and it sure wasnt us nurses stealing their money......so i KNOW who it was.........
i was disgusted by so much that i saw down there, it was a total nightmare, i felt like i was working in a third world country full of lawlessness.........
NEVER AGAIN.
You know, I've always enjoyed reading your posts because we share the same disgust for South Texas, and I can relate. But I can't stand by and allow you to post your comments about our U.S. Border Patrol's perceived corruption.

First and foremost, the government's policy regarding injured aliens at the time of your tour in South Texas was as follows:

Agents did not determine alienage of injured people. That's because once the field agent established that a person was an illegal alien, the government became responsible for that person, including medical expenses. Of course, the field agents knew that these people were illegal aliens, but as per the policy, they were instructed to provide whatever care they could, contact the EMS, and avoid determining alienage/making arrests. In effect, the agents acted as first on scene responders, nothing more, so the government didn't receive the bill.

I'm not saying this was right or wrong. I'm just stating fact.

As such, you are quite mistaken in your assumption that in these roll-over/bail-out situations, the field agents were determining alienage, making arrests, searching injured people and stealing their valuables. In fact, as per the pursuit policy at that time, agents weren't even allowed to pursue speeding vehicles; that task was taken on by whichever local agency had jurisdiction in the area and had the authority to engage in pursuits.

After all was said and done, if the situation resulted in a casualty incident, agents simply would provide whatever care they could, stand back, and allow the local authorities to take over.

What I'm getting at is the fact agents had little involvement in these cases and your assumption that any pilfering that had allegedly taken place occurred on the agents' watch is quite unfounded. If you could see how these events unfold, you would realize the responding local authorities and EMS personnel have more contact with the injured parties than any agent would.

But that still doesn't mean the local authorities are guilty of thievery.

I'm going to be sarcastic for a moment and tell you that what I say next will probably surprise you: Many of these smugglers and aliens flee from the law because they are smuggling drugs. And when such people flee from the law, they usually drop everything in their possession except the shirt on their back. And after they are apprehended, guess what? Nobody wants to claim ownership of any property left behind because nobody wants to be associated with the twenty pounds of marijuana in the brown back-pack, even though this back-pack may contain personal valuables. And I emphasize the word "may" because, as you've pointed out, many people have their valuables sewn into their clothes so they won't be lost. So the property is considered "abandoned" and seized.

I tell you these things so that you may understand how and why these people can be separated from their belongings. Even in cases where drugs aren't involved, it's not the field agent's responsibility to find property left several miles away when an alien decides to drop it and run when he realizes he is being pursued. Believe it or not, the field agent would like to end his shift and go home, too.

It doesn't surprise me in the least these people ask you about their belongings when they're in your care. But that doesn't mean an agent robbed them. And if you don't think these people routinely claim being robbed and abused at the hands of an agent if they can profit from doing so, you're very naive.

I could go on and on, but I think I've made my point. If you're going to go around accusing agents of being thieves, I think you better have evidence to support your accusations.

In case you're wondering, a very proud, and honest, non-Texas native Border Patrol agent who busted his butt over ten years serving in South Texas wrote this. However miserable your one year in Kingsville was, I can assure you my ten were every bit as bad. But you won't see me going around making wild accusations against people working in South Texas' health care system. And you won't see me constantly complaining about South Texas instead of giving the shirt off my back trying to fix its problems during the last decade.

Last edited by CoastieTX; 05-02-2008 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: Addition of text

Old 05-03-2008, 10:54 AM

3,494 posts, read 13,309,195 times
coastietx.........well you have a point there, however, i do believe that some of these illegals money were not drug smuggling related monies-some of them saved their money to make their trip to the USA. that's all they had. i agree that they should not enter the US illegally, but they dont deserve to be victimized by the few thieves that can get away with unethical practices just cuz they wear a badge.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 7,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I think you could do fine as a hairstylist there. I love Corpus and have NEVER, in my 38 years of experience with it (I know, I said my age darn it) have I had a bad experience or heard of any of my family who lives there having bad experiences. It is pretty humid there, moreso than Houston, but it doesn't always get hotter than anywhere else in Texas.

As for how things are run there. People don't live forever and hold office in perpetuity or anything. They have elections as they do anywhere else, so if people really want to change things, then they ought to be voting their conscience and doing something about it rather than kicking the ground and grumbling about it. I agree with something someone posted once about Corpus not wanting to turn into another super resort city, because then it would just be like any other place, although doing some sprucing up and bringing in some new business isn't a bad idea.

There are a lot of hispanics in the area, but they're pretty much all over Texas so that's a non issue. You don't have to speak only Spanish to get along there unless you're patronizing a business run by someone who doesn't speak English in an area of town that is about 100% Mexican/Spanish. And frankly, it wouldn't be the same place without that culture, just like San Antonio wouldn't or El Paso.

I love being able to be just a short drive to the beach, or to the bay to fish. Or watersports. There is plenty to do. The people are friendly, same as any town in Texas.

Just a few of my observations.
Thank you for being objective since I am also looking into moving from CA to Corpus Christi. Originally from Houston many years ago and want the smaller town environment and being near water (my husband & I) so many posts are so very negative. We will be coming out to visit very soon. We want to be close enough to Houston and Mexico but closer to the Gulf! Would you consider the humidity worse than Miami? that is if you know. I thought the weather would be a little better than Houston but at least the air would be so much better. I have read so many bad reports today I really appreaciate all you have to say. We are both semi-retired and just want to take life easier and living in Texas is 50% less in property alone. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Especially want to rent the first year, a house hopefully, and any suggestions for areas would be greatly appreciated. Peggy pdspas@earthlink.net New to this site so hope this goes through and will be working part time as an image & color consultant as I have for the past 25+ years. Thanks again.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:30 PM

219 posts, read 758,390 times
Hey Peggy. If you want a small town then look at the hill country of texas like Fredericksburg. Very pretty area. The hill country of Texas is THE BEST area of Texas to live in. A town of only 10,000 yet you have vinyards, wineries, breweries, some great places to eat...it's just plain great. No beaches but plent of rivers and such. Low crime rate, less humid and still close to houston and mexico. Spring is gorgeous due to the wild flowers!

Old 05-04-2008, 11:48 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,787,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Mayer-Spier View Post
Thank you for being objective since I am also looking into moving from CA to Corpus Christi. Originally from Houston many years ago and want the smaller town environment and being near water (my husband & I) so many posts are so very negative. We will be coming out to visit very soon. We want to be close enough to Houston and Mexico but closer to the Gulf! Would you consider the humidity worse than Miami? that is if you know. I thought the weather would be a little better than Houston but at least the air would be so much better. I have read so many bad reports today I really appreaciate all you have to say. We are both semi-retired and just want to take life easier and living in Texas is 50% less in property alone. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Especially want to rent the first year, a house hopefully, and any suggestions for areas would be greatly appreciated. Peggy pdspas@earthlink.net New to this site so hope this goes through and will be working part time as an image & color consultant as I have for the past 25+ years. Thanks again.
Actually I have been to Orlando a few times and the humidity is worse there than CC. If you want a summary of Corpus, here is one:

I have posted this a few times...

If you move to Corpus, I would recommend Calallen, Portland, or Flour Bluff. Those are the best school districts, and have probably the best of neighborhoods. Most grocery stores as said above are H-E-B. Its a nice grocery store. There are a couple of H-E-B Pluses. Those are really nice! Better than Wal-Mart in my opinion. There is also a few Wal-Marts and a Sun Harvest for grocery stores here. Oh ya, and one Sam's Club.

For shopping, the only good mall is Padre Staples Mall. There is also Moore Plaza and Sunrise Mall. But I wouldn't recommend Sunrise Mall. A new outdoor lifestyles center is being built in Corpus. Kind of like an outdoor mall. The Calallen/Robstown area is also getting an outlet mall before too long. Oh ya, by the way, Padre Staples Mall is about to get a whole new make-over/expansion. Almost to unrecognizable porportions. So that is exciting.

The cost of living down here is considerably lower than in Seattle. So I am sure if you can make a living in Seattle, you can deffinently make it down here.

The downtown area for the city is very nice for its size. It has a few nice sky-scrapers as well. The city council is currently trying to revitalize it though. A couple of buildings are currently being renovated for condo's. And there is a strict abandon building ordinance being placed for the area. So hopefully businesses will once again get attracted to the area.

And the three fastest growing areas of Corpus are on the southside, Flour Bluff, and Calallen. All of the areas are urbanizing/suburbanizing. Portland is also growing very quickly. Its only about a five minute drive from the downtown area of Corpus and about a fifteen minute drive from the main shopping corridor in Corpus named S.P.I.D. South Padre Island Drive. That is where pretty much everything is around here.

As for recreation. There is plenty to do down here, especially if you like the outdoors. There is Arena football, Hockey, division one college basketall, professional baseball and semi professionall baseball. If you like the outdoors, there is wind surfing, hunting, surfing, and nice walks along the bayfront downtown. Its always windy down here. We should be the real "windy city".

There is also the art museum, the USS Lexington, the Texas State Aquarium, and more.

The weather down here is nothing like Seattle. The only time its cool down here is November-Feburary. During the summer its hot and very humid. As a matter of a fact, Corpus Christi is the hottest city in the U.S. with heat indicies included. During the summer, the months of July-September the heat indicies average up to 110 degrees during the day time and 90 degrees during the night. Not to say that it doesn't get cold down here, because sometimes, it does. We get sleet about once a year. Its very light though when we do get it. Nothing big to shut the city down. It will freeze about 3-10 times a year. Every once in a while it wont get about 32 degrees all day. When it snows, if you even wanna say it does, its just a flurry or two. No accumulation. About once every two-three decades we will get a snow storm. In christmas eve-christmas morning of 2004, the city itself got 4 1/3 inches of snow. Out here in Calallen we got 11 inches at my house. But its super rare that it would happen. Anyways, in the summer dont expect the tempature to drop below 73 degrees until October. In the winter it can be cold, but its nothing like up north.

Anyways, I hope I answered everything and gave you an idea of what its like down here. If you have anymore questions I would be happy to answer.

I hope I helped!

Old 05-05-2008, 10:49 AM

219 posts, read 758,390 times
Corpus Christi is not the hottest city in the US. I have lived in cities quite a bit hotter then Corpus.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:40 PM

808 posts, read 3,368,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbain View Post
Corpus Christi is not the hottest city in the US. I have lived in cities quite a bit hotter then Corpus.
Reposting post #3 from this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I just read this on AOL Money and Finance if weather is of any consideration for you.
Corpus Christi, Texas

Hottest Feeling City

Storms may be scarier, but heat usually causes more American deaths than any kind of weather. And Corpus Christi is the hottest city in the U.S., averaging a heat index of 110 for July and August. At that temperature, sunstroke, heat cramps and heat exhaustion are all likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or