Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 11:34 AM

219 posts, read 808,155 times

Advertisements

I have been in cities hotter then Corpus. I have travelled extensively throughout the United States and have been in cities in which the temperature BEFORE the heat index was taken into consideration was 115 degrees. In my time in Corpus I did not get what the big deal was. Here is just a small sampling.

CityHighest °FPhoenix, Arizona122Tucson, Arizona117Las Vegas, Nevada117Sacramento, California115El Paso, Texas114Dallas - Fort Worth, Texas113Fresno, California112Los Angeles, California112Austin, Texas112Long Beach, California111San Diego, California111San Antonio, Texas111
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 01:56 PM

808 posts, read 3,633,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbain View Post
I have been in cities hotter then Corpus. I have travelled extensively throughout the United States and have been in cities in which the temperature BEFORE the heat index was taken into consideration was 115 degrees. In my time in Corpus I did not get what the big deal was. Here is just a small sampling.

CityHighest °FPhoenix, Arizona122Tucson, Arizona117Las Vegas, Nevada117Sacramento, California115El Paso, Texas114Dallas - Fort Worth, Texas113Fresno, California112Los Angeles, California112Austin, Texas112Long Beach, California111San Diego, California111San Antonio, Texas111
I've been in that type of weather as well...to me, Corpus feels hotter. AOL Money and Finance agrees, apparently

Old 05-07-2008, 03:04 PM

160 posts, read 635,834 times
I have had to explain this several times before to others who could not grasp the concept of me feeling that summer in south Texas was cooler than that of Montana. Here is how I personally see it and feel it:

Corpus (and south Texas) feels cooler to me because of the humidity and the coastal winds. When the wind blows, even in the slightest degree, the moisture in the air acts sort of like a natural swamp cooler. If there is no humidity in the air, and its the same temperature and the windspeed is the same, then I feel like I am baking in an oven. I am certain that this is simply personal feeling, and the reason why I will never base my own opinion off of AOL or whomever might be conducting a study of the hottest location anywhere.

If the temperature is at 95°F ambient with a 90% or greater humidity, and the wind is dead still at 0mph, then I will agree that it does feel hot. However, if there is a breeze of 5mph blowing across me, at best I simply feel warm. My body will sweat still, but actual feeling is not hot and merely comfortably warm. I also personally know when my body is being depleted of water in either instance of wind speed and can easily replenish it with fluid.

But, when you change the humidity varible and maintain the same ambient temperature and windspeed and drop the humidity to 0%, my own body goes into shock. I do not sweat hardly any amount. I can not judge my own level of hydration. This I consider very serious, and have gone into dehydration shock several times because of it. My own body is feeling like a roast stuck in a crock pot and absorbing all its moisture in itself. Before I can even tell that it is cooking itself, I am dehydrated. The worst time I ever experienced this effect, I fainted.

Henceforth, the common saying of 'well, its a dry heat' is a warning sign to me that I want absolutely no part of it. I am probably in the vast minority here, having been raised in a sub-tropical climate of high heat and high humidity, but I can deal with south Texas heat much better than I can deal with west Texas heat, or any other lower humidity level heat.

My point is simply, do not put any faith into what others tell you is hotter. The only way one will know what is hotter is to subject themselves to a wet heat and then a dry heat and determine how they handle each type of heat. Trust your own bodies, not some one else.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:40 PM

Great explanation goinghome2tx.

As to you awecelot...just because AOL Money and Finance says corpus is the hottest feeling city does not make it true. Do you have any idea how many different studies there are and they contradict each other? I spent time in Mcallen, Texas for 2 years and I felt like I was melting...to me it felt much hotter then Corpus and according to the heat index when I watched the news...it was.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:44 PM

2 posts, read 8,153 times
I just moved to Corpus Christi about a year ago. So far it's been great ! It is a bit hot coming from Minnesota but my family's here and that is priceless anyway, I love that there is so much to do here ! just get in your car and drive and you will find something to do pretty much. If people want to succeed they have get educated and no matter where you live you will live confortably and happily. And about the crime rate at least it's lower than Houston and San Antonio.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:52 PM

2 posts, read 8,153 times
Default you tell them !!

you tell them your right ! talk about making stuff up, Corpus Christi has the fewer crimes a year than any other city in Texas !
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Wow. Very over exaggerated! If you are going to type a message don't just make up stuff that is hardly true at all. There is no "gang members of the week" on t.v., nor is there drive by shootings all over the place. Check the actual data of the city on the website. The crime is low compared to many other city's and there are only around 20 murders a year. I would know. My dad has been a cop here for the last 15 years. And just like any city, Corpus has its nice neighborhoods and it has its not as nice neighborhoods. Every city is like that. I live in the north western edge of the city in the Calallen/Annaville area, and there is no crime out here at all. Calallen is one of the best schools in the state.

If you are going to bash on a city. Don't make stupid lies up. I don't really know what you are getting out of it, but there is no point.

Oh ya, downtown may not be the livelyist part of town, but city council is trying to re-vitalize the downtown area currently. Two buildings are currently being renovated to be turned into condo's. The city does have a beautiful downtown for its size though. Look at the pictures.

Anyways, Corpus may not be the best place in the world, but it does have what you need and has a lot of extra to offer as well.

I hope I helped!

Old 05-11-2008, 01:52 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,878,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly71 View Post
you tell them your right ! talk about making stuff up, Corpus Christi has the fewer crimes a year than any other city in Texas !
Uhm Hate to burst your bubble, But Not less than El Paso TX. So sorry your wrong. But Corpus is a pretty nice place, the gang stuff and tagging is a bit extreme there, but thats mostly from little punks that drive down from San Antone.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:21 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,938,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingHome2TX View Post
Since I have been back in South Texas for two weeks, I have made four trips to Corpus. Even though I was born in Corpus and spent the first five or six years of my life there, I have no strings to attatch me to her or defend her, aside from my own personal judgements.

Here is what I have concluded about Corpus:

Corpus is Corpus. She is basically the same city that I knew as a kid. She is basically the same city that I have known through the years when I would visit each time I had come back home from backwoods-Yankee land. Change is not a priority of Corpus. While most people will despise her for this, I embrace her for it. This single fact keeps Corpus from turning into a bloated metropolis which she is definately not ready for.

Police presence is not overly-active in Corpus. At least when you compare Corpus to other Texas cities. I doubt anyone will try to defend this fact, even Gabe. This is not a problem in the day time, but in certain areas at night it could be an issue. I hold a different line of thought on the subject which would venture off onto a seperate topic and I will not discuss that here or now. However, if you are entrusting your life to someone else to defend it, then I recommend you pick your neighborhood very carefully.

Corpus is a weathered Gulf Coast city. Some buildings weather nicely, some do not. There are good parts to it, along with bad parts, and in some areas the two reside next door to each other. Some people take pride in their yards, some do not. Once again, if you are considering moving to her, and you are bothered by this, pick your neighborhood wisely.

Corpus is not a city that typically caters to the ultra-high class snob. Okay, she has Shoreline drive, Hewit, and possibly Del-Mar. These are the exceptions, and when compared to the similar areas of other cities in Texas, these are bargin bin properties. Corpus is more of a lower income to upper-middle class city. This is probably one of the reasons why I love her as much as I do. It isn't all a Beverly Hills-esque pipe dream that you see on some television show. It is a down to earth, realistic city available to anyone willing to work hard for their dreams.

Corpus shopping is adequate for a city of her size. Once again, I will stress that this is not an ideal place for someone looking for high class shopping. For all the average person's needs, however, Corpus will suit one just fine. The downside to Corpus in terms of commerce is that she is really missing a perfect opportunity in dining. She has the ideal location for a spectacular Mexican/Tex-Mex restraurant, a phenominal seafood restraurant, and superb steakhouse. Sadly, she only ranks as adequate in all three catagories.

Corpus moves at a slower pace. Most people looking to live in a city want a faster pace of life, for this, I emplore them to pick San Antonio, Austin, DFW, or Houston. Corpus will turn you off. However, if one likes their city living with a little bit of small town sprinkle in terms of pace, then it is pretty hard to beat Corpus.

Now, while these might all seem like negatives, I will state that having been to all the major and minor cities in the state of Texas, my favorite is still Corpus. And, as I have mentioned before, Corpus in particular, and South Texas in general, is not an area for everyone.

Would I personally live in Corpus? No, I would not. It is not because of the city that I would not, it is just a fact that I prefer to be inland, rural, and secluded. If I had to live in any Texas city, Corpus would be my choice, though.
pretty much everything in this post makes corpus even MORE appealing to me.....

nightlife?? meh .... don't really need it .... my main interest in going out is concerts (rock please) and houston is not too far away for that, although i'd have to make friends with my brother again for a free place to stay...

and as long as there a few decent restaurants for dinner out .... gets BORING cooking for one all of the time..... i am good to go.....

i really miss being on or very close to the water..... yeah, we have lakes and rivers here, but its just NOT the same......

and i am ready for some south texas heat and humidity.... actually, it gets every bit as hot and humid here, just doesn't last as long through the year .... and the winters are miserable..... endless days of cold, gray, dead skies.... even today is unusually cold and gray and nasty.....

i am also considering victoria some.... looks like housing is even LESS expensive there and it is a good base location for traveling around south texas, which i suspect may be a big part of my employment.

can anybody comment on corpus vs victoria??

lastly ..... yeah ... they bust the meth labs here, but for every one busted, 2 or 3 or more spring up in its place ..... sort of like roaches or mice or coat hangers in the closet.....

Old 05-11-2008, 08:41 PM

Wow. This is what I talk about alot. How people are in total denial of what happens in their cities. Corpus DOES NOT have fewer crimes then any other city in the US. Actually...Corpus crime rate is higher then El Paso in EVERY category expect auto theft.Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Do a check for yourself. Corpus murder rate is on average with the usa, rape rate is nearly double, robbery rate is slighlty lower, burglary rate is higher, aggravated assault rate is higher, larceny theft is nearly double and vehicle theft is lower.

latetotheparty...try Fredericksburg, Tx or New Braunfels TX if you want a nice place to live both have some very low crime rates...

Last edited by Yac; 06-10-2008 at 05:35 AM..

Old 05-13-2008, 08:26 AM

9,352 posts, read 19,938,879 times
as much as i love the hill country, its too far from the gulf....... and the gulf or bayfront or the beach is one of the primary reasons i am so so so homesick.......

my point was that what many consider serious crime concerns are a matter of perspective....

i have found that if you conduct yourself with a modicum of common sense, then pretty much you will be fine.....

in the metro areas i have lived in these past 48 years, my house has been broken into once, my car stolen once and my car broken into once..... overall, not too bad i'm thinking..... unfortunately, there is no place on the planet that is absolutely and completely "safe."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi