Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2008, 07:30 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,322,498 times

Advertisements

i conducted myself with a modicum of common sense, when i spent a year as an Emergency Room Registered Nurse down there.
it didnt stop me from being hit by one of the many indigents in the area-and my truck got badly damaged, and since the person who was at fault had no drivers license or insurance, i had to pay a deductible.
it didnt stop me from being stalked by a hispanic police officer to the point where an internal affairs investigation went on, and subsequently restraining order, and termination
it didnt stop numerous other "incidents" that occurred to me there.
i have lived in more populated areas of Texas and the South and never had as much problems as i had down there.
it was a nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
as much as i love the hill country, its too far from the gulf....... and the gulf or bayfront or the beach is one of the primary reasons i am so so so homesick.......

my point was that what many consider serious crime concerns are a matter of perspective....

i have found that if you conduct yourself with a modicum of common sense, then pretty much you will be fine.....

in the metro areas i have lived in these past 48 years, my house has been broken into once, my car stolen once and my car broken into once..... overall, not too bad i'm thinking..... unfortunately, there is no place on the planet that is absolutely and completely "safe."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 09:33 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,385,206 times
Corpus is not as bad as these people say. I have lived in Corpus for 17 years. Nothin like any of that has happened to me or anybody I know during that time. Also, Its kind of funny that things happen only to people who dont like it down here. What a coincedince!

Old 05-13-2008, 09:38 PM

just a coincidence, yes. it had nothing to do with my attitude. thanks to the Army i recently was taken away from Texas for 3 years, to coastal Georgia. i hated it. i missed Texas. i was heartbroken, lovesick for Texas. NOTHING bad happened to me in Georgia regarding my personal security in THREE YEARS. one year in South Texas, i felt like i was a sitting target.......
and come on now, how would the indigent driving a car KNOW that i was an unhappy anglo stuck down there? and the hispanic police officer-he started stalking me as soon as i moved down there, before he even knew anything about me-he saw me in the ER WORKING on a patient!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Corpus is not as bad as these people say. I have lived in Corpus for 17 years. Nothin like any of that has happened to me or anybody I know during that time. Also, Its kind of funny that things happen only to people who dont like it down here. What a coincedince!

Last edited by NOTAM; 05-13-2008 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: add

Old 05-15-2008, 01:44 AM

3 posts, read 8,282 times
bellestaroftexas

I am an RN too, psych at that. I hope the problem about you being stalked in CC is that that he was a police officer, and not that he was hispanic as you've mentioned a few times.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:55 AM

well of course....but i will tell you, i am not wrong in making a statement that being a blue eyed tall blonde in some areas down there, DOES make you stand out and brings attention to you (both good AND BAD).
to set the record straight for anyone here who keeps trying to find "racism" in my threads-i welcomed the opportunity to work in South Texas and embrace the hispanic culture because of my POSITIVE experiences with hispanics when i lived and worked in various places in North Texas. I admired the family values and the way they were very supportive to their loved ones when they were hospitalized. when i worked in a large Texas men's prison, the INS inmates were the ONLY ones that didnt do the unmentionables in front of us female nurses or cause us problems-they were always respectful, and never abused the sick call system (matter of fact, they avoided any kind of attention brought to them PERIOD!)...........
so it was very disconcerting to me when i moved down there and found myself to be frowned upon, unaccepted, subject to the wrath and hatred of jealous wives who would give me the evil stink eye if they came to the ER with their husbands because they didnt like the fact that their husbands were ogling me, and just overall never received a warm welcome anywhere. oh and gosh i hate that i have to have a disclaimer for everything but do NOT, DO NOT, imply that i think i am beautiful or hot just because i made that comment about the husbands ogling me. they "ogled" me simply because i am sure that i stood out like a sore thumb,being a platinum blonde, blue eyed fairskinned TALL scandinavian. sheesh. ya know yall, i am just telling it like it is. i am telling you MY experience down there. everyone has different experiences. we can learn from listening to everyone. so enough of the bashing!!
yet another dislcaimer-not directed totally toward MamiRN, regarding the "racial" issue-but to the whole thread, wheneverthe racist thing comes up.........
and another thing, those who say that people like me just arent "used to" different cultures, i have traveled around the world more times than i can count, have spent months in Nairobi Kenya, Khatmandu Nepal, Sri Lanka, Micronesia, Iran, Russia, just to name a few....i am world traveled, global minded, and educated.
i adapt well to being in foreign environments. i just dont prefer to LIVE in them. i prefer to live in places where i find a social network, social support, dating opportunities, and simply assimilate easier. to VISIT is one thing, to LIVE in a place is totally different. i moved to Kauai, Hawaii to be with my family-i had been visiting the island all of my 43 years since i was a baby. i know every square inch of the 500 sq mile island, as good as any local, but could not handle living there. but i LOVE Kauai. i just cant live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamiRN View Post
bellestaroftexas

I am an RN too, psych at that. I hope the problem about you being stalked in CC is that that he was a police officer, and not that he was hispanic as you've mentioned a few times.

Last edited by NOTAM; 05-15-2008 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: disclaimer

Old 05-15-2008, 09:00 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,598,688 times
I'm a tall blue-eyed blonde and I've lived in Corpus Christi for 2/3 of my life and have never had the problems Belle speaks of. I've made goods friends of many races, dated, married and had lots of fun since I've been here.

This thread is about CC and Belle, you've never lived in CC. You spent a year in Kingsville, 45 miles away and a whole 'nother world. I understand that you worked some and visited some here, but that is not the same thing. I commuted from CC to Kingsville to work for a couple of years and they are NOT the same town.

And to all the posters going on about how wonderful and safe it is in the Texas Hill Country, I lived for four years in Kerrville. I was in a middle class neighborhood, but that didn't stop my across-the-street-neighbor from setting himself up as a drug dealer. There were cars coming and going at all hours til he was arrested. Living there was the only time in my life that I ever called the police and it was for a domestic argument next door that spilled out into the front yard. Oh, and there was the brutal triple murder. Two meth-heads slit the throats of an elderly couple and their daughter. As it turned out, one of the murderers used to hang out across the street from me at the drug dealer's house. When he was arrested I realized I'd seen him sitting on the porch many times.

So I'll stay down here in "crime-ridden" Corpus, thank you very much. The rest of you can enjoy the Hill Country, but don't forget to lock your doors at night.

I apologize for the tone of this post, but I get so tired of people talking (badly) about CC who have never lived here and don't really know anything about it. It's ok not to like it--but there's no need to make stuff up about it.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:48 AM

42 posts, read 175,812 times
Good post, Marlow. I've been in CC for about three months. I, too, am blonde, tall, thin, etc. and have had no problems. I've already made tons of friends who are Caucasian, Filipino, Mexican, Colombian, Bolivian.... I guess you get the picture! It's not my favorite place I've ever lived, but we ARE enjoying it. Once again, I think every place is just what you make of it and I'm a "half full" sort of girl!

Old 05-15-2008, 01:31 PM

304 posts, read 1,122,490 times
We have been residents of Corpus since New Years Weekend and my blond, blue eyed spouse has gone everywhere in Corpus, often alone and has had not one problem. Kingsville is not Corpus and commuting to Corpus is not living in Corpus. In Minnesota, where we moved from and lived for 35 years, is the same. Minneapolis is not even St Paul (Minneapolis-St Paul are the twin cities) much less Duluth, St Cloud or Rochester, MN. Since we are transplants, as are all of our neighbors in our new neighborhood, we have had lots of interaction with transplants from all over the US (16 families) and not one of them have had a problem and all selected Corpus because of its size, beauty and cost of living. Yes, I have driven thru the questionable parts of Corpus and don't consider Corpus or any other city in the US as utopia. I could go on and on about stories in Minneapolis that would make one think the city is the worst place to live, however, that would not be accurate and a true representation of living in Minneapolis.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:46 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,579,993 times
I don't find Corpus a bad city either, but Belle is right in many ways and I will add that it truly can be a detriment to be blonde and blue eyed the closer to the border you get. Especially once you cross the border. My grandfather used to take us to Mexico all the time and told my sister that she would be ogled and men would be extra flirtatious with her. She is a very tall blonde and green eyes. Me, having darker hair never got that kind of attention.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:31 PM

i understand your points, but another thing.........like i have said before, people, locals, long time natives of the area would question "why the heck did you choose to live here when you could live anywhere as an ER nurse?".......and i never met one person that truly "LOVED" living there and was passionate about the area.
unlike here, NO ONE questioned why i moved here..and people talk POSITIVELY about the area, the geographical location, the landscape, the people, the opportunities, the safety factor, the local law enforcement agencies.
i will never forget when i had a deposition with the stalker cop down there, i had a coworker come in to testify and she was a native/local, lived there forever, and she said to the detective "i know how corrupt the police dept is and i am afraid to even testify because i fear retaliation" (this was an educated Registered Nurse)...something to think about....it WASNT JUST ME
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi