Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 05:28 AM

219 posts, read 811,090 times

Advertisements

We factored in drunk-driving arrests (FBI) and the percentage of fatal accidents involving intoxicated motorists (U.S. Department of Transportation).

55th Most Dangerous Drunk City In The Entire United States . Corpus Christi, TX

Recent F.B.I. statistics give Corpus Christi the dubious dishonor of being one of the most violent cities in Texas. Corpus Christi is ranked #1 for rape and number 3 for murder.

Corpus Christi, Tx has one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the nation.

Last edited by johnbain; 05-22-2008 at 07:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 07:53 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
If you would ever post a link to some of your claims you might be more credible. I've never been able to find a source for any of your statistics.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:15 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,411,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
I really appreciate your comments as I want to move to the area and I just can't believe it's as bad as all these people say. Since you live there I think you know. Thank you.
Lol, the problem with that is there are only two people saying bad things about the area. None of them live here. One lived in Kingsville years back and the other resides in the hill country. How would they know anything about Corpus?

My dad is a cop for the city. It really is not as bad as these two people say it is. I dont know what their problems are, well Johnbain's problem, Bellestar might have just been unlucky. I dont know. Anyways its really nice down here and its warm and hot 6-8 months a year. Crime is not bad in the city. I have lived here for 17 years and nothing has ever happened to me or friend or family or aquantances. Except one incident where my neighbors house got broken into for a VCR. Lol. 17 years and nothing! Its a nice city. And I dont know how john can call this a violent city when ther are only about 20 murders a year. Thats only about .667 murders per 100,000 people. Not very violent to me.

One thing I do believe from john is the worst drivers. I think Corpus has horrible drivers.
Also, our roads can get pretty bad, but I dont think they are second worst in the country. I have seen much worse elsewhere!

Anyways, I hope you change your perspective about the city. Dont listen to the lies you hear.

Here is a little bit I wrote about the area a while back. It covers a lot of the basics:

If you move to Corpus, I would recommend Flour Bluff or Calallen. And Portland has better schools than most of Corpus, but not than Calallen ISD. Most grocery stores as said above are H-E-B. Its a nice grocery store. There are a couple of H-E-B Pluses. Those are really nice! Better than Wal-Mart in my opinion. There is also a few Wal-Marts and a Sun Harvest for grocery stores here. Oh ya, and one Sam's Club.

For shopping, the only good mall is Padre Staples Mall. There is also Moore Plaza and Sunrise Mall. But I wouldn't recommend Sunrise Mall. A new outdoor lifestyles center is being built in Corpus. Kind of like an outdoor mall. The Calallen/Robstown area is also getting an outlet mall before too long. Oh ya, by the way, Padre Staples Mall is about to get a whole new make-over/expansion. Almost to unrecognizable porportions. So that is exciting.

The cost of living down here is considerably lower than in Seattle. So I am sure if you can make a living in Seattle, you can deffinently make it down here.

The downtown area for the city is very nice for its size. It has a few nice sky-scrapers as well. The city council is currently trying to revitalize it though. A couple of buildings are currently being renovated for condo's. And there is a strict abandon building ordinance being placed for the area. So hopefully businesses will once again get attracted to the area.

And the three fastest growing areas of Corpus are on the southside, Flour Bluff, and Calallen. All of the areas are urbanizing/suburbanizing. Portland is also growing very quickly. Its only about a five minute drive from the downtown area of Corpus and about a fifteen minute drive from the main shopping corridor in Corpus named S.P.I.D. South Padre Island Drive. That is where pretty much everything is around here.

As for recreation. There is plenty to do down here, especially if you like the outdoors. There is Arena football, Hockey, division one college basketall, professional baseball and semi professionall baseball. If you like the outdoors, there is wind surfing, hunting, surfing, and nice walks along the bayfront downtown. Its always windy down here. We should be the real "windy city".

There is also the art museum, the USS Lexington, the Texas State Aquarium, and more.

The weather down here is nothing like Seattle. The only time its cool down here is November-Feburary. During the summer its hot and very humid. As a matter of a fact, Corpus Christi is the hottest city in the U.S. with heat indicies included. During the summer, the months of July-September the heat indicies average up to 110 degrees during the day time and 90 degrees during the night. Not to say that it doesn't get cold down here, because sometimes, it does. We get sleet about once a year. Its very light though when we do get it. Nothing big to shut the city down. It will freeze about 3-10 times a year. Every once in a while it wont get about 32 degrees all day. When it snows, if you even wanna say it does, its just a flurry or two. No accumulation. About once every two-three decades we will get a snow storm. In christmas eve-christmas morning of 2004, the city itself got 4 1/3 inches of snow. Out here in Calallen we got 11 inches at my house. But its super rare that it would happen. Anyways, in the summer dont expect the tempature to drop below 73 degrees until October. In the winter it can be cold, but its nothing like up north.

Hope this helps you out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbain View Post
yawn...lies? check out the stats on this own site...that is proof enough...or the fbi stats if you can get them...i know i have access to them...so i guess the stats on this site, the fbi stats and the stats everywhere else are all lies?...south texas is very beautiful and unique...are u kidding me?....flat and a bunch of ugly oaks is beautiful and unique?...south texas pride is south texas ignorance....goodbye you backwards people....
You are stupid. How many times are you going to say goodbye and return to bash more on the city with your lies. I believe a couple, but most I couldnt find information on. Leave already!

Old 05-22-2008, 09:44 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,483,682 times
Gabetx...thank you for the indepth information, I really appreciate it. I am moving from Oklahoma so from tornados to hurricanes so maybe? lol
I think since your father was a policeman he probably is more aware than anyone as to what goes on down in that area. I am previously lived in Utah for 27 years so used to "bad drivers" and road construction.

Thank you for the information regarding each area even though I didn't post this thread it helped me alot. My 5 children and my new husbands 4 children are all grown so we won't have to worry about being in a good school area but I have heard from a real estate agent that Calallen is one of the better ones.

I wish I had set up more homes in the Portland area to look at. It seems the ones I liked from the pictures of the homes were in Ingleside and Port Aransas, so we shall see. Maybe she can show us some in Flour Bluff and Portland.

I am excited for our trip as we are leaving now to go to the Corpus Christi area to see some homes and I feel better about our search after reading your post.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:57 AM

45 posts, read 149,963 times
Good post Gabetx

Sometimes you gotta make the most of your surroundings. Im not a current resident of Corpus, but I lived there for a couple of years. I found it to be rather pleasant. It's not perfect, but really, what town is. The same rules for bigger cities apply to Corpus. Play it smart, stay out of the bad neighborhoods, and you'll be fine.

I had a run in with the law while living there. Long story, but I'll just say it was a case of mistaken identity. I found the police to be firm but fair. Treat them with respect, and you'll get it in return. Tell your dad thanks for all the hard work he does with CCPD.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:57 AM

42 posts, read 176,492 times
Good luck chickrae! I'll look forward to having another Oklahoma Girl down here!

Old 05-22-2008, 12:17 PM

20 posts, read 67,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
yes please take all the Corpus Christi bashers out of the area and off this site. The people that live there are not the only ones defending the area. I feel like defending it and I dont live there but will be.....I am excited about my trip there this weekend.
Why can't people just speak positively...life is too short!

How can you defend Corpus Christi if you haven't even lived in the area. We will value your opinion once you have actually experienced the city. We are just trying to give you advice about Corpus Christi since we have actually been there. Maybe this advice will help you so you don't become a victim of violence.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:43 PM

219 posts, read 811,090 times
I gave you the sources.
U.S. Department of Transportation and FBI.
It's odd that no one get the hint yet. How many times have mentioned posted FBI?

Old 05-22-2008, 03:08 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
I've looked on the FBI website and have NOT found the stats you've cited. That's my point. Why not post a link?

Given your other outlandish posts, i.e., "Corpus was busted for pumping cancer causing agents into the air," etc., I think you're pulling your statistics out of your you-know-what.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:04 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
I think he is referring to this article.

Collaborative on Health and the Environment :: Port Arthur, Texas: Public Housing Residents Breathe Contaminated Air From Nearby Refineries and Chemical Plants

See a link.. happy reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi