Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2008, 01:30 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times

Advertisements

actually, the 350K is for st. louis county..... st. louis city has only about 50-60K ..... all technically st. louis, but the horrible crime stats published recently were for st. louis city only......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 07:41 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
Default Corpus .. Rockport

I've published articles on demographics and been about everywhere.

Corpus is a mix really - in general its poorer than average and the people fatter than average, however there are of course nice sections and then there's the refineries.

Corpus is the most drivable city in the US according to several studies- just very little traffic (Buffalo is 2nd).

About 27 miles north of CC on the coast is Rockport. Rockport is a pleasant coastal fishing and art town. There are no unsafe places to walk even at midnight. One can still leave their door wide open. Aransas County has 25,000 people ( Rockport about 12k) and its growing fast. Because of boating and fishing there are more men than women. The newspaper is horrible. Nice breezes in the summer but like most of Texas its still hot- great winters.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:41 PM

196 posts, read 640,469 times
ocean2026...there are many unsafe places in Rockport and you can not leave your door wide open at night.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:24 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,480,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Corpus is not loosing a Naval base. Ingleside is. Corpus is keeping its Army/Navy Depot. And I am told there is another base in the area too.. I dont know where but it is also not going away. I have heard that Ingleside is gaining the base free of charge and they plan to use it to bring cruise ships as well as a dock side market tourist attraction.. like theme park thing. Only thing I can compair it too is this: The Wharf (http://www.thewharfal.com/ - broken link)

Sorry you are right it is Ingleside. I got the areas confused. I just remember the real estate agent telling us that. That's why we think we might wait till after it closes to look at buying a home. Not sure if homes will drop in price then as we like Ingleside.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
It's great to hear that you like the area and thank you for the info.
We went to the North beach yesterday and of course it was crowded. The water is REALLY warm and I didn't think the beach was that dirty as I have heard people say. Its not like the carribean or San Diego beach but then I can't afford to live in those two places either. So for a close beach (even if it is the gulf) and the homes seem reasonable enought (even with high taxes, wind, flood insurance etc) I think it is somewhere we will want to be.

The thing that does sorta bother me driving on the freeway in Corpus (I-37 I think) is all the refineries. I don't think I have ever seen so many anywhere. That's why I think we prefere the Ingleside area.

We drove to San Antonio last night and stayed the night. That place has some scary areas. We were going to stay close the the River walk and went to a Ramada and it looked like they were doing drug deals. We ended up staying at a Microtel that wasn't too bad. Then we went to the Alamo and the River walk today. Now we are back home in Oklahoma and a big storm.
I miss that beach in Texas already!

Old 05-27-2008, 06:23 AM

196 posts, read 640,469 times
Riverwalk is a nice place to visit. But I agree that at night there are some shifty things going on.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:48 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Some of the pics of San Antonio are beautiful and the people (at least the ones on the forum) seem like they're very friendly. But just the sheer size of the area and the population is enough to scare me.

Chickrae, which do you prefer~Galveston or Corpus Christi? I love the ocean and we've never been to Texas, but have been to the Florida Gulf. We actually prefer the Gulf to the East coast beaches. We've also been to beaches north of Fla., but the Gulf is still our preference.

I don't know what area of Ok you live in, but eastern Ok is very nice, too. Unfortunately, they just don't have an ocean.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:34 PM

52,683 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Default Almost Made The Move

I almost moved to CC in 1980 when my dad tried to set up his new business. Things in South Texas didn't quite pan out, so the family stayed in North Texas. We would have been hit with Hurricane Allen had we made the decision to go. Still, it would have been a fun experience just to be able to go the beach a little more often.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Some of the pics of San Antonio are beautiful and the people (at least the ones on the forum) seem like they're very friendly. But just the sheer size of the area and the population is enough to scare me.

Chickrae, which do you prefer~Galveston or Corpus Christi? I love the ocean and we've never been to Texas, but have been to the Florida Gulf. We actually prefer the Gulf to the East coast beaches. We've also been to beaches north of Fla., but the Gulf is still our preference.

I don't know what area of Ok you live in, but eastern Ok is very nice, too. Unfortunately, they just don't have an ocean.
I liked Galveston when we visited, but we weren't there very long the two times I have been there as we went there to get on a cruise ship. I liked the beach fine and it was similar to Corpus Christi north beach. As far as the homes, I liked the Ingleside area better (which is a few minutes from Corpus Christi) In Galveston there might be an old home in one spot and a new one right next door. It was hard to tell a good area from a bad in my opinion. I think we will move to the Corpus area just because my son will be in Victoria. I would say I like the Corpus area better. My son first lived in San Antonio and then moved to Houston. Both areas he lived in I liked but it's way to big and busy for my liking. I do like Texas though and as I posted on another thread...I think they Texans are the friendliest people I have personally ever met.
I live in North easter Oklahoma - Tulsa area but lived in Utah before that. Right, no beaches here, or mountains that I miss.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I almost moved to CC in 1980 when my dad tried to set up his new business. Things in South Texas didn't quite pan out, so the family stayed in North Texas. We would have been hit with Hurricane Allen had we made the decision to go. Still, it would have been a fun experience just to be able to go the beach a little more often.
Where exactly did Hurricane Allen hit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi