U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 10:22 AM

21 posts, read 18,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoak2000 View Post
Rockport has some of the best fishing in the area... some nice home areas too.
but it is a bit away from 'the city' (shopping, etc).

It's quite hot/humid during the summer - be prepared for that ....
hot humid along coast, or more so in Rockport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 07:45 PM

713 posts, read 572,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri1234 View Post
hot humid along coast, or more so in Rockport?
everywhere down there, not just Rockport. You'll see . . .

Old 06-03-2017, 09:53 PM

548 posts, read 353,442 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for all the info! I am going to spend a good amount of time there this summer, and then decide on which areas are better. My husband wanted something on the water, because he wants to have easy access to boat/fishing..but, I'm going to talk with him about your suggestion living little bit away from water/reasons. Thank you again!
Live near the water. I do not know a single person who has lived both South and North of SPID who prefers the South. It's essentially exactly the same as any suburb anywhere in the U.S. It has the worst traffic anywhere in town. It's also more prone to flooding than anywhere else in town.

There are tons of good restaurants in Corpus including dozens that will take your fish filet it and cook it for you. I've spent lots of time in Dallas and Houston and they most assuredly do not have better seafood if you get local stuff in Corpus. The salmon isn't better in Corpus but you literally cannot get wild red fish anywhere inland(anything called wild red fish is either farm raised on cat food or is black drum if you are lucky). The better restaurants are on the Island and Downtown. There are a handful of good ones on the Southside but other than those its almost exclusively chains(again found anywhere).

Old 06-03-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope48 View Post
Live near the water. I do not know a single person who has lived both South and North of SPID who prefers the South. It's essentially exactly the same as any suburb anywhere in the U.S. It has the worst traffic anywhere in town. It's also more prone to flooding than anywhere else in town.

There are tons of good restaurants in Corpus including dozens that will take your fish filet it and cook it for you. I've spent lots of time in Dallas and Houston and they most assuredly do not have better seafood if you get local stuff in Corpus. The salmon isn't better in Corpus but you literally cannot get wild red fish anywhere inland(anything called wild red fish is either farm raised on cat food or is black drum if you are lucky). The better restaurants are on the Island and Downtown. There are a handful of good ones on the Southside but other than those its almost exclusively chains(again found anywhere).
Thank you!!

Old 06-05-2017, 11:22 PM

947 posts, read 1,003,573 times
Any thoughts about Port Bolivar, how does it compare to Rockport? We've visited Bolivar and want to visit Rockport next. Considering a home purchase, somewhere. Thanks.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoak2000 View Post
Rockport has some of the best fishing in the area... some nice home areas too.
but it is a bit away from 'the city' (shopping, etc).

It's quite hot/humid during the summer - be prepared for that ....
Thank you!

Old 06-06-2017, 07:09 PM

Thank you to everyone for your advice, appreciate it very much.
We are debating between area of 78418, Port A, and Rockport. I am going for either Corpus(78418 area) or Port A, and my husband has Rockport as his first choice..hopefully we will be able to come to a decision on the final destination soon.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:57 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,629,619 times
Quote:
Thank you to everyone for your advice, appreciate it very much.
We are debating between area of 78418, Port A, and Rockport. I am going for either Corpus(78418 area) or Port A, and my husband has Rockport as his first choice..hopefully we will be able to come to a decision on the final destination soon.
I would choose Rockport over Port A because you're not dependent on the ferry or "going the long way" to get to CC. Also, Port A is nuts at Spring Break and during the summer. Between Rockport and CC is a different type of decision because they offer much different experiences. Will you/have you visited both?

Old 06-07-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I would choose Rockport over Port A because you're not dependent on the ferry or "going the long way" to get to CC. Also, Port A is nuts at Spring Break and during the summer. Between Rockport and CC is a different type of decision because they offer much different experiences. Will you/have you visited both?
Hi, we have been spending more time in CC. I have only been to Rockport once so far, my husband has gone several times.
I thought Rockport was a great area, beautiful! But, the 2 things some locals said that concerned me was the higher? amount of drug use than other coastal communities, and I couldn't get a definite answer re school system/how it fairs etc.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:27 PM

15,246 posts, read 17,629,619 times
Quote:
Hi, we have been spending more time in CC. I have only been to Rockport once so far, my husband has gone several times.
I thought Rockport was a great area, beautiful! But, the 2 things some locals said that concerned me was the higher? amount of drug use than other coastal communities, and I couldn't get a definite answer re school system/how it fairs etc.
I'm not sure about either of those things so I can't help you there. I do know that the Seashore school on the island and the Flour Bluff school district are both considered to be very good, at least for the area. If I had school-age children (sniff sniff, hard for me to say because my kiddo just graduated) I would probably live in CC over Rockport because there's just more to do here. You can do it all from Rockport, but it will involve more driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or