Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 10:20 PM

3 posts, read 2,510 times

Advertisements

Background:
Was raised in Austin, Texas but no longer want to live there due to the overpopulation. I am waiting on a job offer from Fort Hood (better pay), but I have a backup position in NAS Corpus Christi (lower pay than Fort Hood) if I don't get the position in Fort Hood. I am 23 years old, love outdoor, require a big backyard since I have two huge dogs (80+ lbs) that needs a place to run around time to time. I'm Asian with Spaniard thrown in the mixed; fiance is Italian mix with Spaniard if that matters since I was told they discriminate in the area.

With that said, most of my research I found in the forum have been outdated pertaining to areas near NAS. If I were to move there, my price range for housing would be no more than 270k. I can go higher, but I don't want to include my fiance's income unless I really have to (like to have a safety cushion just in-case). Looking for a place that has low crime rate, good school district (in-case a baby pops out lol), and potentially a place that can hold value without flooding since I might move again in 6-8 years for career/company moves. Zip codes would be great so I can look at the housing online!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 11:56 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
You can easily afford a nice house for less than 270k with room for your dogs. I would look within 4 blocks on either side of Alameda Street from Ayers to Ennis Joslin. You can also look in Flour Bluff or the Island which has easy access to NAS CC. Zip codes are 78414, 78418, and parts of 78404, 78411, and 78412.

It is highly unlikely that you or your fiance will experience any discrimination.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 2,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You can easily afford a nice house for less than 270k with room for your dogs. I would look within 4 blocks on either side of Alameda Street from Ayers to Ennis Joslin. You can also look in Flour Bluff or the Island which has easy access to NAS CC. Zip codes are 78414, 78418, and parts of 78404, 78411, and 78412.

It is highly unlikely that you or your fiance will experience any discrimination.
Out of the zip codes you have said, how would you rank them from least to greatest in crime rate? Also, the zip code 78418 is on the island with what seems to have only one access, is there bad flooding during storms? Hard to move about during summer vacations?

I do like the 78414 area in terms of housing, anything wrong with that area?

Thanks!

Old 08-01-2017, 12:36 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Living on the Island has challenges. There are mandatory orders to evacuate when a hurricane or tropical storm heads this way and if we are ever hit by a Category 4 or 5, it's likely the entire island will be several feet under water for a while. And yes, to get to the navy base, you have to go over the Causeway. There's a long way around through Port Aransas and taking a ferry, but it's not practical for a daily commute. And traffic is heavy during the summer, but it moves. People who live on the Island complain that there's no grocery store--you have to travel over the causeway to get to the closest one. The plus side is that you're 5 minutes from the beach and can live on a canal if that's something that interests you.

As far as 78414 goes, that's a fairly mixed area. You'll find everything from crappy shacks to million dollar estates, so keep that in mind while you're looking. You'd have to come down and see what you think.

Regarding crime, all of these areas will have some crime--mostly property theft. There is little violent crime unless it's related to the drug/human trafficking trade, or domestic violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi