U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 05:57 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,236,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
Thought I would get a little proactive and get this going as this could very well be an historic storm, possibly rivaling Hurricane Celia back in the 1970's.. I'm very much hoping every precaution is being made to prepare for this. If model data verifies, Corpus Christi may not be the same for a long time after. From what I've read and heard though, the spirit of all who lives there is one not easily broken, so I know you'll bounce back stronger than ever.

Currently, I see the core of Harvey coming close to Rockport in the predawn hours of Saturday with sustained winds of 115mph but I think there is an outside chance of it being a CAT 4 hurricane with sustained winds of 135mph with gusts to 150. That would be the worst case scenario.

Please feel free to use this thread for anymore relevant info on the affects of the storm in your area, how your coping with the clean up or to locate loved ones. God Bless you all, I'm praying it won't get as bad as what the data is saying.
I'm in Colorado but am posting this on behalf of a friend in Conroe. She is looking for resources of any kind for a little help (this is her first hurricane). This is what she's requesting:

"if anyone can send me info on who can go for help that would be great. We are low on supplies and don't know what to do ... can't leave. All we need is water and some bread. We are stocked on peanut butter and some lunch meat"

Obviously her situation is not dire (well, I'm not really sure about this), but she does have children. Is there anything I can tell her to help her out?

Last edited by mtngigi; 08-27-2017 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: added text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 06:51 PM

597 posts, read 255,737 times
Here in Aurora, ME...Still doesn't matter...

Continued thoughts and prayers to you in the path of Hurricane Harvey!
Memories of flooding (in 1996), in Salem, Oregon...come drifting into my mind...Evacuating and leaving everything behind to move to higher ground (to my parents in the Foothills of the Cascades - who were also experiencing flooding), with a husband who had suffered a stroke and was fragile! No escaping - no reprieve....and it seemed...no hope!
Our hearts go out to you in an embrace of compassion! Hang on! Hope will come! The sun will once shine again! You will overcome this and be stronger!

Old 08-27-2017, 07:07 PM

4,277 posts, read 2,482,478 times
Is there more rain due in Houston tonight?

Old 08-27-2017, 07:10 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,711,948 times
Kathryn, have you heard from your friend in Katy? I hope she is OK. I have been glued to KHOU all day. It just looks so BAD, with the amount of rain continuing to fall.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:26 PM

2,334 posts, read 1,463,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
I'm in Colorado but am posting this on behalf of a friend in Conroe. She is looking for resources of any kind for a little help (this is her first hurricane). This is what she's requesting:

"if anyone can send me info on who can go for help that would be great. We are low on supplies and don't know what to do ... can't leave. All we need is water and some bread. We are stocked on peanut butter and some lunch meat"

Obviously her situation is not dire (well, I'm not really sure about this), but she does have children. Is there anything I can tell her to help her out?
According to what I just read in our local paper NY is sending emergency responders and supplies to schools. Tell your friend to give the local school a call, and also the Red Cross.. Do they have 911 there? They may be able to tell her where to call for help too.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:39 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,236,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
According to what I just read in our local paper NY is sending emergency responders and supplies to schools. Tell your friend to give the local school a call, and also the Red Cross.. Do they have 911 there? They may be able to tell her where to call for help too.
Thank you. I haven't heard anything from her in over 3 hours. Guessing maybe she's lost electricity. Do you have any specific info about Conroe?

Oh, never mind that last question ... I see you're in NY.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:01 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,309 posts, read 3,511,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campers View Post
Port Aransas experienced widespread damage. It is believed that there have been at least 8 fatalities.. not sure where they occured if there or Rockport. One trailer park completely destroyed. Rockport with a lot of damage too.
Mayor: Port Aransas trailer park a '100-percent' loss, search and rescue starts | KiiiTV.com
My heart breaks when I see the damage pictures of Port Aransas and Rockport.
My late wife and I spent the the winter months of the first ten yrs of retirement in our motor home in a couple of different RV Parks in Port Aransas, and would return to MT by about the 3rd week in March.
Have some great memories of those times.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:18 AM

12,330 posts, read 7,285,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post

She can call 311 (911 is only for life threatening events). I don't know how dire her situation is, but there is drinkable water in her hot water heater. How to Get Emergency Drinking Water from a Water Heater: 8 Steps.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:14 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,672,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
My heart breaks when I see the damage pictures of Port Aransas and Rockport.
My late wife and I spent the the winter months of the first ten yrs of retirement in our motor home in a couple of different RV Parks in Port Aransas, and would return to MT by about the 3rd week in March.
Have some great memories of those times.
The few pictures I've seen of Port Aransas suggests total devastation. For many Texans, Port Aransas brings fond memories & for alot of us, Port A is "our beach".

It was annoying on the TV reports (Weather Channel, ABC & at least two others) when they were reporting, they were obviously bivouacked in Rockport (& were clueless as to the location and importance of Port Aransas). It was all about Rockport (since they could drive around and take pics and videos there). It was all "Rockport took the brunt", "The Storm landed at Rockport", etc.

Rockport is a nice town, but the Storm didn't "Land" in Rockport (which is on the other side of the bay). It landed on San Jose Island &/or Port Aransas....and the left side of the Eye went over Port Aransas which got absolutely clobbered. The few pictures I saw of Port A. were awful. I heard the mayor interviewed (& even the interviewer was confused - thought Rockport was Port A.) The mayor of Port A. confirmed that it would take months or even years to re-build.

Other little towns that I haven't heard anyone mention anything about are Seadrift, Austwell, & Tivoli. All of these tiny towns are on San Antonio Bay, which (given the walloping that Rockport and Port Lavaca took) would appear to have been right on the Path of the Right side of the eye (& would have received the 130 mph winds and the storm surge right up the bay). Are these towns still standing? Just because the "news cameras" weren't in these towns, doesn't mean that people aren't interested in what happened and how they are doing.

I also haven't heard any updates on search & rescue (in Port A, or Seadrift, Tivoli or Austwell) & if there were any fatalities on Port A? I saw an RV park was completely destroyed (I hope no one tried to ride the storm out in that RV park or in any of these 4 communities). If they did, I would expect there will be additional deaths (or "missing persons") reported.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:30 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,672,572 times
Also. Is everything OK in Refugio and also in Goliad (one of my favorite towns in Texas)? Goliad has one of the finest courthouses in Texas, & is home to the 250 y/o Presidio/Mission and many other historic buildings. It looked like the eye went right over Goliad (& might have returned back thru there last night??)

Is everything OK there? Hopefully no damage. Thanks.

The Courthouse in Goliad:

& the Presidio:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or