Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 09:31 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Kathryn, have you heard from your friend in Katy? I hope she is OK. I have been glued to KHOU all day. It just looks so BAD, with the amount of rain continuing to fall.
I heard from her last night and again this morning. Last night she was nearly in a panic because the water was lapping at her front door, but then it receded some and she posted a video of it today about 4 ft from her garage and porch. It's a good thing it's receded because she literally could not find anyone to come get her. I couldn't even sleep last night worrying about her. God love her, she is just a baby (she is the ex girlfriend of my son and I have always just loved her to pieces). She lives alone in her house with just her dog and cat. She didn't even know where her breaker box is. Last night was the first time she sounded truly scared and that just broke my heart.

Her neighborhood is flooded so she's trapped in a one story house with a dog and a cat but at least for now there is no water in her house.

Thank you for asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 03:27 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Hi everyone! As you know, Corpus is mostly fine after Harvey, but many of the small communities to the north of us are not. Port Aransas, Rockport, Refugio and Victoria suffered a lot of damage. And Houston! OMG--that's breaking my heart.

Personally, we lost a section of fence which also managed to crack a window and some shingles off the roof. We were without power for about 48 hours. Other than that, we're fine.

Thank you for all the good thoughts and good wishes. Now let's think about what we can do for those people in Houston.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:12 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I heard from her last night and again this morning. Last night she was nearly in a panic because the water was lapping at her front door, but then it receded some and she posted a video of it today about 4 ft from her garage and porch. It's a good thing it's receded because she literally could not find anyone to come get her. I couldn't even sleep last night worrying about her. God love her, she is just a baby (she is the ex girlfriend of my son and I have always just loved her to pieces). She lives alone in her house with just her dog and cat. She didn't even know where her breaker box is. Last night was the first time she sounded truly scared and that just broke my heart.

Her neighborhood is flooded so she's trapped in a one story house with a dog and a cat but at least for now there is no water in her house.

Thank you for asking.
Did water release from the dams make waters rise?
So afraid dams won't hold...

Old 08-29-2017, 06:28 PM

749 posts, read 418,760 times
Here, in Aurora, ME...68F Degrees, Dew Point 53F, Winds, NW 5 MPH.
Cloudy and a grey sunset dimmed....

Hurricane Harvey sent us into a spin - some of us into a tailspin...Those of us who've experienced a flood know...there can be hope and we cling to it until we find ourselves escaping onto one's roof and waiting for rescue...When hope is dashed...we persevere in a state of shock..a dullness...awaiting to be rescued..only to await to return...to begin again..
Everything seen is now covered with water! I can remember seeing ducks swimming up our street in Salem, Oregon, and not being surprised by the sight!
As one who was known as, "Spider Slayer, " I avoided a HUGE spider crawling up a sidewalk as I passed it by on our way to evacuate...
Stunned and shocked by trauma, we awaited our future...Would there actually be anything left untouched by the flood (the photos and albums kept on a top shelf in the entryway hall closet)..we had hope...I've seen very little in the media for those who still await Harvey's exit....Still, we stand and pray in hope for so many who have lost this priceless commodity...if only temporarily!

Old 08-29-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Did water release from the dams make waters rise?
So afraid dams won't hold...
Honestly, I think it was just the incessant rain. They got slammed with rain.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:20 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times
Is she still OK, Kathryn? Reporting from Katy did not look good yesterday. TG the rain has let up, although Port Arthur is now taking a drubbing. Even one of their shelters flooded.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Is she still OK, Kathryn? Reporting from Katy did not look good yesterday. TG the rain has let up, although Port Arthur is now taking a drubbing. Even one of their shelters flooded.
Yes, thank God - she is "home" (where she grew up) with her mother! I am so thankful.

I have a friend who lives in the country between Port Arthur and Beaumont who thankfully has a second floor room (and balcony) and she and her husband have been stuck up there with two dogs and a cat for three days, but they are OK. Thankfully they have food, water, and a bathroom, even though they can't flush the toilet. They were able to move their most precious items up into that room. I can't imagine being stuck somewhere in that much havoc, surrounded by flood waters, for all those days but she is a trooper. She won't even consider using any public or volunteer resources for her or her husband when there are others in more dire situations. So please pray for her. Her spirits have been good but she is stressed to the max right now.

I am probably going to drive down there to help her in a couple of weeks. I want to wait till she is in the thick of the work but others have sort of stopped coming by. Maybe I can help her, who knows. I can at least bring her a bottle of wine!

Old 08-30-2017, 04:09 PM

531 posts, read 452,680 times
I remember during Hurricane Carla going outside while the eye passed over and there was no wind. However, the eye of a hurricane is less than fifty miles wide and Carla struck land at Port O'Connor, one hundred miles up the coast. Does anybody else remember the eye going over Corpus Christi?

Old 08-30-2017, 09:22 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, thank God - she is "home" (where she grew up) with her mother! I am so thankful.

I have a friend who lives in the country between Port Arthur and Beaumont who thankfully has a second floor room (and balcony) and she and her husband have been stuck up there with two dogs and a cat for three days, but they are OK. Thankfully they have food, water, and a bathroom, even though they can't flush the toilet. They were able to move their most precious items up into that room. I can't imagine being stuck somewhere in that much havoc, surrounded by flood waters, for all those days but she is a trooper. She won't even consider using any public or volunteer resources for her or her husband when there are others in more dire situations. So please pray for her. Her spirits have been good but she is stressed to the max right now.

I am probably going to drive down there to help her in a couple of weeks. I want to wait till she is in the thick of the work but others have sort of stopped coming by. Maybe I can help her, who knows. I can at least bring her a bottle of wine!
I'm glad both of your friends are OK! But it's hard to imagine being stuck in a room for days on end, with another person, a cat and 2 dogs! The scope of this disaster is just... unimaginable.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:15 AM

286 posts, read 569,638 times
We got power in Rockport today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi