U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2019, 12:03 PM

2,426 posts, read 6,151,796 times

Advertisements

Hello! My family of 4 may be moving to Corpus from Houston soon. 2 kids, ages 9 and 13. I have been looking at threads about various schools, but notice they are all rather old threads. I was hoping I could get some updated information about the schools in Corpus.

Looking for a good Elementary for my 9 year old. While she's not in the GT program where we live now, she does very well academically and enjoys a tougher curriculum. Curious as to the best public elementary schools for her. Would also consider good private schools for her as well.

My oldest is 13 this month and currently is in 7th grade. She attends a very small private school geared towards learning differences right now, but we have been looking at small private 'regular' high schools for her in the Houston area when the time comes. My concern for her is that she has severe ADHD and she has Tourette's Syndrome. Right now, the kids know her, her tics and noises and accept her for who she is. I am worried about putting her in a large public school.

I would love some recommendations on some smaller private schools that allow accommodations for some "in need" students - extra time on tests/homework, allow her to stand at her desk, etc.

Work is located just outside of Corpus proper on the west side of town (halway between Corpus and Calallen). Is Calallen still a good school district? I also see Flour Bluff and London mentioned a lot. Also Portland/Gregory as well.

Thanks!

Old 03-06-2019, 08:31 PM

1,414 posts, read 713,239 times
I live in San Antonio but will answer based on what I know. I have family in Beeville and have thought of moving to Corpus although now I don't see it as likely. I spent a lot of time looking into it though.

London appears to be the best district, I always thought it used to be Calallen so perhaps you can place that as second. London seems pretty to be far ahead though so if you go public that would be the best bet.

For private schools I think Annapolis Christian Academy PK-12, Incarnate Word Academy PK-12, St James Episcopal, St Patrick are all good. The last two don't go up to high school, either through elementary or through junior high.

I'm not sure about schools for your special needs child. Hopefully somebody else can be of assistance regarding that one. I would guess the ones I mentioned are pretty similar to the schools I went to, in which case it wouldn't be much of a big deal at all, but who knows.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:38 PM

548 posts, read 353,656 times
I'd email the rise school director@risecorpuschristi.org and ask them for advice on schools for your eldest. It's a private elementary and preschool mainly for kids with autism so they'll know the good middle and high schools for your older child.

Generally Portland, Calallen, Flour Bluff, London and Tuloso have good scores. CCISD it heavily depends on neighborhood(Southside and midtown schools being pretty good, Westside not so much.) As with anywhere a lot of it has to do with socio economics.

My experience at the top end, honors, AP, and the IB program are that CCISD generally out performs the smaller districts. CCISD also has the collegiate high school with Del Mar where you can get dual high school and college credit. I believe that school tends to have the best overall scores in the area(because it's all magnet). You will want your youngest to be doing honors/AP classes in whatever school they go to.

The IB program at Windsor Park, Baker, and Ray(CCISD) is probably the best all around in the area but you have to test to get in. Generally Honors Public > private > regular public. Saint James(downtown) is the best private school but only goes through 8th grade. It tends to be on par with IB. IB used to end at 8th grade and so the top tens at the CCISD high schools would be 80% IB kids and 20% Saint James with the occasional person from the Catholic school system. If you are talking privates on the level of Kinkaid or St. Johns we don't have that here. Those kids do honors classes and the IB program here.

The honors courses here are not as rigorous as the Houston magnets so if you are worried about the youngest drowning don't. My mom was a Houston magnet teacher.

I've heard at various times over the years that the smaller districts have higher average performance but don't put the resources into special education that CCISD does so it may be that after talking to the Rise folks you end up splitting the difference. Most of the districts also let you pay extra and send a kid out of district so you could live in the best district for your eldest and send your youngest to a good district and pay for it.

Last in my honors classes at Ray we had ADHD kids, A girl with tourettes, and a autistic savant who has a senior at 14. My friend who had severe adhd took his tests in the counselors office and got extra time otherwise he was in class with us. The kids with more severe conditions still went to the same school and ate with us in the cafeteria(they just had separate classrooms).

And Callallen is part of Corpus Christi. Only Portland and London are outside the city limits.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope48 View Post
I'd email the rise school director@risecorpuschristi.org and ask them for advice on schools for your eldest. It's a private elementary and preschool mainly for kids with autism so they'll know the good middle and high schools for your older child.

Generally Portland, Calallen, Flour Bluff, London and Tuloso have good scores. CCISD it heavily depends on neighborhood(Southside and midtown schools being pretty good, Westside not so much.) As with anywhere a lot of it has to do with socio economics.

My experience at the top end, honors, AP, and the IB program are that CCISD generally out performs the smaller districts. CCISD also has the collegiate high school with Del Mar where you can get dual high school and college credit. I believe that school tends to have the best overall scores in the area(because it's all magnet). You will want your youngest to be doing honors/AP classes in whatever school they go to.

The IB program at Windsor Park, Baker, and Ray(CCISD) is probably the best all around in the area but you have to test to get in. Generally Honors Public > private > regular public. Saint James(downtown) is the best private school but only goes through 8th grade. It tends to be on par with IB. IB used to end at 8th grade and so the top tens at the CCISD high schools would be 80% IB kids and 20% Saint James with the occasional person from the Catholic school system. If you are talking privates on the level of Kinkaid or St. Johns we don't have that here. Those kids do honors classes and the IB program here.

The honors courses here are not as rigorous as the Houston magnets so if you are worried about the youngest drowning don't. My mom was a Houston magnet teacher.

I've heard at various times over the years that the smaller districts have higher average performance but don't put the resources into special education that CCISD does so it may be that after talking to the Rise folks you end up splitting the difference. Most of the districts also let you pay extra and send a kid out of district so you could live in the best district for your eldest and send your youngest to a good district and pay for it.

Last in my honors classes at Ray we had ADHD kids, A girl with tourettes, and a autistic savant who has a senior at 14. My friend who had severe adhd took his tests in the counselors office and got extra time otherwise he was in class with us. The kids with more severe conditions still went to the same school and ate with us in the cafeteria(they just had separate classrooms).

And Callallen is part of Corpus Christi. Only Portland and London are outside the city limits.
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I’m not looking for (not do I want) Kincaid it St James level of academics. I believe my youngest child adequately pushes herself and will do just fine no matter where she is.

Good to know about Rise. Will check that out. My oldest is very intelligent, extremely creative and artistic, just not very academic. She definitely not autistic. She just needs a school that will allow some accommodations for her and have kids who won’t tease her relentlessly. We’ve had bullying issues in the past and she’s a bit scarred from it. As far as paying for schools - from what I’ve seen so far, that won’t be an issue as I could put both in private school with money left over compared to what we are currently laying for my oldest’s school alone.

I will definitely rely take a closer look at the schools and the various areas of town.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:41 PM

Another question - what is traffic like in general? How long does it take to get around town, from one end to the other, etc? Just curious as I currently live where there HEAVY traffic and it can take 35-40 minutes to go 5 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi