Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2019, 11:58 AM

4 posts, read 4,074 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Corpus and will temporarily have an apartment payment in Corpus and a mortgage back in Ohio. Can anyone recommend a specific apartment complex and the cost ? I would like to live on Padre Island but realistically, I need the cheapest but safe place for now. Once the family comes down and we go to buy a house then I can worry about the Island. So for now, 1 BR or studio anywhere works. The office is on North Shoreline so within 50 miles of that. Any advice would be appreciated !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 04:18 PM

738 posts, read 765,002 times
I like Chateau Santa Fe. They have $750-800 one bedrooms usually in old school garden style apartments. It's gated, five minutes from downtown, and the owner lives in town and maintains the place. There are newer and fancier options of course but I'd say it's the least expensive professionally managed place that screens people at that end of town. Also you might get a good deal on a one bedroom rental condo at Cliff House(south downtown) or the 4600 building(Ocean and Airline). In that circumstance your more at the mercy of how good a landlord the unit owner is.

There's a smattering of WW2 era duplexes, fourplexes, small buildings in the neighborhood around Chateau Santa Fe that might work as well. It's generally the cheapest section of Ocean Drive.

If you found something much cheaper than these it'd probably be trading less rent for paying more for gas on your car or a noticeably less safe place. Possibly both.

The Island to Downtown is generally viewed as the most brutal commute in the area. Everyone I've known that's lived Ocean corridor and moved out there has moved back after a few years. If that's something you are super interested in I'd rent out there before buying. You may be used to a long commute and it doesn't matter to you. 50 miles from Downtown is pretty much anywhere in the region.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:38 AM

I highly appreciate the feedback. I was under the impression the drive from Padre Island to North Shoreline was about 30 minutes, however I have no idea as well about the area.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit72steel View Post
I highly appreciate the feedback. I was under the impression the drive from Padre Island to North Shoreline was about 30 minutes, however I have no idea as well about the area.
It's about that in good traffic. That's a long commute here. SPID is prone to heavy traffic and both it and the Crosstown will be under construction the next few years. You can jump off SPID and take Ocean Drive Downtown but that adds 10-15 minutes to the commute.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:03 AM

I am guessing that the 700 block of Lum Avenue is not a good neighborhood to rent?

Looks like that extended stay on Staples may be the route to go...………...

Old 11-06-2019, 03:35 PM

That's not a bad neighborhood over all. It's 60's era tract houses that are small. Not a wealthy neighborhood at all, lower middle class more like, but not a super poor neighborhood either. The neighborhoods around that street are much nicer. Location is pretty good. I live about a mile towards the water from there and managed one of the apartments on Airline for a few years in my youth. You'd have a nice low traffic commute on Ocean Drive.

Old 12-16-2019, 11:36 AM

I realize there are several factors but any idea the average costs of homeowners and wind insurance in Corpus ?

Old 12-18-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit72steel View Post
I realize there are several factors but any idea the average costs of homeowners and wind insurance in Corpus ?
If you are going TWIA for windstorm(hard to find non TWIA policy) I'd ballpark it at around 1% of insured value a year but that's based on my house that has about 700k in insured value(contents and home value). If you have an address in mind call an agent and get a quote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
View detailed profiles of: