U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2019, 01:19 PM

16 posts, read 16,734 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to one of the canal neighborhoods in North Padre. Does anyone have any thoughts (good/bad) on the area. Moving to be near family and won’t have to commute into the city. Is the sewer treatment an issue for the development. How’s the water quality in the area for watersports? Crime? Any local insight would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 10:49 PM

20,872 posts, read 5,284,751 times
whats your budget???

Old 11-25-2019, 05:09 AM

Budget is $500-600k.
Thanks

Old 11-25-2019, 11:35 AM

20,872 posts, read 5,284,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff70 View Post
Budget is $500-600k.
Thanks
Netime and best of luck.

Old 12-01-2019, 07:22 AM

Netime?

Old 12-14-2019, 09:29 AM

921 posts, read 495,692 times
This is definitely a weird thread. I was actually hoping for some insight. LOL...

Old 12-26-2019, 05:55 PM

So was I! Always great to get insight from someone familiar with the development.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:46 PM

549 posts, read 354,588 times
Sewer treatment isn't an issue. North Padre has it's own mini plant at the end of Whitecap and it's pretty modern. Folks out there are very adept about freaking out over anything.

Overall water quality around the city is good with a couple caveats. 1. North Padre canals have water exchange issues particularly the further you are from the Laguna. Water doesn't circulate well and it can smell. 2. You generally don't want to swim for a day or two after a rain storm but that's true just about anywhere.

Crime is fairly normal for a mid sized mid income city. Our violent crime numbers tend to be higher due to a higher incidence of domestic violence(or we just report it more than other places). Most murders are either gang related or domestic violence(which is true throughout the U.S.). The island occasionally has a spate of break ins which the POA flips out about.

On the island generally I'd say this. It's a lifestyle decision. If you like to go to the grocery once a week or so but want to go fishing on your boat a lot or go to the beach everyday it's a good choice. If you aren't a boat person a canal house in your price range is kinda a waste. About half that 600k is going to the canal(you can buy a really nice house of those sizes in pretty much any good neighborhood in town for 300k including on the island on a non canal lot).

Culturally it's different. Most of the folks who live out there are transplants. I know a lot of people who move out there from the rest of the city and move back a few years later. Basically the fishermen are the ones who stay. It's too "far" for everyone else on doing stuff.

The POA for Padre Isles has had a war as of late. Not living out there I don't know the details, just folks are animated about it. I will say Padre Isles has by far the most rigorous POA in the area(that's either a plus or minus for most people).

Personally I wouldn't live out there, too boring with a lack of variety of things to do compared to Ocean Drive corridor but that's my personal viewpoint.

If you'd say your specific water activities you are in to or looking to get in to I could comment further.

Old 01-09-2020, 03:00 PM

5 posts, read 7,071 times
I lived on the Island for 4 years, 2 years on a canal and 2 years on the golf course. For me, the island is the only place l would live if I was still there. I never smelled anything bad on the canals when I lived there. I liked living on the canal actually but the lack of privacy on your back deck is kind of bothersome at times.

It's only 7 miles to HEB plus so grocery shopping wasn't an issue for us. There is a little crime on the island because where there is money there is potential crime. Most of the crime is from leaving your garage door open or you car doors unlocked.

What we disliked the most is the mosquitos after a good rain. They were awful and predictable. Overall I would live there again! (We moved away for business reasons)

Old 01-28-2020, 12:02 AM

11 posts, read 3,372 times
Something to seriously consider when debating moving to the island is hurricanes. I wouldn’t live on the island because of them. There is basically one way off of the island and thousands trying to flee. That tends to create long lines of cars and there is no alternate route until you get way up the road on the interstate where they open the evacuation lanes. Since I don’t live out there, I have no personal experience with the sewer or water, but there hasn’t been anything on the news about it either.

Regarding crime, the whole city of CC has an average crime rate imo. The murders tend to be gang related or happen at backyard bbqs when the drunks pull a knife on one of their relatives. Come down and stay for a week to check out the whole town to see if you like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi