U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2006, 03:35 PM
tlw tlw started this thread

77 posts, read 373,514 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me any info about Rockport and surrounding area?
What type of industry is in the area. Does alot of the tax base come from hospitality/hotel industry? Is it primarily tourist, retirees, 2nd home owners, or what?? The town's population is rather small, but what is the population for whole little region?

Can you give me an idea what home insurance is in the area. Have the rates been jacked up as so many other coastal areas?? I can't find any posts about this subject. When was the last serious storm damage in that area? Don't seem to hear about this area getting hit so bad as some of the others.

Any infor or comments anyone might have concerning Rockport or the surrounding area would really be appreciated.

Thank you very much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 5,618 times
Default Rockport TX info.

Moved to Rockport in 95" found the people friendly, everything very handy. Problem is that it is mainly A retirement community. Lots of money here but it's hard to get them to turn loose of it. Virtualy no industry, Corpus Christi (35 mi. away) is the indurstial city near by, lots of refinerys, oil related mfging, shipping and typical big city benifits and problems. Rockport is kinda high on the crime list mainly because of near no middle class, just upper and lower. The water is the key, get close and it will cost ya, get further away and you are in the lower income areas, with lots of drugs etc. As with any town, poverty areas create A breeding ground for crime. Taxes are going up every year but that just indicates the property values are increasing rapidly. My home which we bought in 95 for $80K is now worth 250K and rising each year. Insurance is high because we are near the Gulf of Mexico and the threat of Huricanes. The good side is that we get several days warning, unlike most areas where tornados, floods etc. happen before you can react and escape. To sum it up we love it here, we'er not rich but comfortable. You can have the big city life, here our rush hour is 5 minutes long, except if you get behind A winter texan (snow bird) then you'll slow down A bunch because they want to do anything but sit in their small camper all day, they just drive around about 20mph and look at all us folks who live here. The summers are hot and humid but you get used to it and A good A/C is A must. Groceries are below average cost so is fuel, electric is high, water is high. Schools are average, school taxes are very high as homeowners are all that support them. Considering everything, the fishing, golf, bird watching, and friendly folks far out weigh the bad points, so we ain't leaving!!

Old 01-02-2007, 05:01 PM

5,080 posts, read 8,516,889 times
I always stay in Rockport when I come down to Corpus.( that is if I am not camping on the beach on the island ) I have always thought of moving there someday. I like it because the people are friendly, it has a whole lot of charm and appeal. The pebble beach they have there is also nice, and you can walk out about a 1/2 mile in the water being about 4 feet deep before it drops off.. I visited the Chamber there and a nice young lady helped up about 16 or so, she was very kind and well mannered. Rockport reminds me of other gulfcoast cities near Florida and near Mobile AL. without all the highrise resorts going up and down the coast.. But how long until they discover what a gem of a place this area is and start to build there too?

Sorry I cant give you much info, as I am a return visitor of Rockport and not a resident, yet. I think you'll enjoy its weather and attitude and charm very much.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:08 PM
tlw tlw started this thread

77 posts, read 373,514 times
Thank you very much aross60 and Muhnay for your comments.

Can you give me an idea about real estate taxes and insurance? I have looked on the Florida forum to try to get a ball park figure and it has quite alot of folks who have had their insurance cancelled altogether, or it has increased so much that they may be forced to sell. Something also about after the first of the year residential rates may go up another 100% more and business rates alot more than that!

Anyway, I was quite surprised to see homes in the Rockport area for $150,000 or less. I wouldn't want to be in an iffy part of town in that price range, but some of those homes look neat and clean and quite livable. Any estimate on tax and insurance in that price range?

Is that area considered to be real active as far as getting hurricanes. Is it an evacuate the town kind of situation or just hunker down and wait it out??
I haven't seen anywhere on ANY coast that looks to be as affordable as that area. It looks quite pretty and charming and really has my interest as my head could use living near the water!

Thanks again for any comments.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:22 PM

5,080 posts, read 8,516,889 times
I am not native to Rockport, so I am not sure of any insurance or tax rates there. Sorry. I will say that Texas Gulf Coast is cheeper than most other coast areas.. not sure why? But dont worry 150K is not iffy/seedy part of town.

As for Hurricans, Texas has a pretty good evac route set up.. and living so far in the gulf you have pretty good warning of where it is gonna hit. And you can be in San Antonio in a couple hours far enough inland I think to not worry.

I do know after Katrina hit, most insurance companies are no longer covering hurricane damage.. Saw a report on that on CNN the other night, or was it MSNBC.. either or.. so you may want to look into that, and make sure your covered should a Hurrican hit the area. I belive its been quite a few years since a hurricane has every hit the Corpus area.. and Rockport is just downt he road.. the island out in the gulf really helps break hurricanes up.. and the wet lands in texas are still intact, so dont worry about them so much.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:56 PM

4,789 posts, read 8,761,744 times
By the way, Rockport is in Aransas County ISD - http://www.acisd.org/

All kids attend the same schools:
* Rockport-Fulton High School
* Rockport-Fulton Middle School
* Fulton 4-5 Learning Center
* Live Oak 1-3 Learning Center
* Little Bay Primary Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi