U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 03:25 PM

11 posts, read 1,321 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. For the past 3 months, I've been trying to document all former chain restaurants in the Coastal Bend area. I got the idea to make the list from this website: carbon-izer.com/former/fff_index.html since I noticed that there wasn't a lot of Coastal Bend locations on that list and I figured that I might as well create my own since I lived in Corpus Christi for 18 years (1992-2011). I've completed a majority of it but I still need help with filling in opening-closing dates and any missing locations. The restaurants I'm looking for specifically are one's that have locations in more than one city, not local restaurants. I'll be leaving the link to the list in Google Sheets down below as well as allowing access to comment on any missing or incorrect information. Thank you.

Former Coastal Bend chain restaurant list: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iD6EILCcBjafj5U0e6zxD7NQ2Gh6KfrgriLXtDdjiA8/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited by tag2292; 05-12-2020 at 03:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 05:57 PM

367 posts, read 1,070,284 times
@tag2292 - Just put a comment on your doc sheet.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:01 PM

548 posts, read 353,442 times
In the 80's there was a Hardees at the corner of Staples and Everhart where the First Community Bank is. I'd also just comment that a fair number of your "closures" are really moves, particularly in the Subways, Dominos, and Pizza Huts.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope48 View Post
In the 80's there was a Hardees at the corner of Staples and Everhart where the First Community Bank is. I'd also just comment that a fair number of your "closures" are really moves, particularly in the Subways, Dominos, and Pizza Huts.
I included them because they weren't demolished or rebuilt into newer stores on the same site as the old store and that the old locations became something else.

Last edited by tag2292; 05-15-2020 at 11:02 AM..

Old 05-17-2020, 03:38 PM

2,455 posts, read 904,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag2292 View Post
I included them because they weren't demolished or rebuilt into newer stores on the same site as the old store and that the old locations became something else.

I hadn't thought about this one in a very long time: Zuider Zee. Its building was distinctive because it had a Dutch-style windmill.

Zuider Zee history

I want to say that the one closest to where I lived was on the corner of S Alameda & Sharon.

Another fave of mine was Sea Island, which was in front of the HEB at SPID & S Staples. I once asked a Sea Island manager in SA why they didn't stick around in Corpus. He told me that HEB complained about the shared parking and higher electricity costs. It is too bad because CC really lacks a good seafood place with reasonable prices without having to drive to the Island.

I don't think that CC really started getting the major chains until the 90s. Up until then, we had mostly national fast food or breakfast. I was thrilled that we got Taco Cabana at the time and Starbucks. Sadly, Taco Cabana quality really went down when Burger King bought them out. Thank you for starting this thread. CC thread sees little action, unfortunately.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
I hadn't thought about this one in a very long time: Zuider Zee. Its building was distinctive because it had a Dutch-style windmill.

Zuider Zee history

I want to say that the one closest to where I lived was on the corner of S Alameda & Sharon.

Another fave of mine was Sea Island, which was in front of the HEB at SPID & S Staples. I once asked a Sea Island manager in SA why they didn't stick around in Corpus. He told me that HEB complained about the shared parking and higher electricity costs. It is too bad because CC really lacks a good seafood place with reasonable prices without having to drive to the Island.

I don't think that CC really started getting the major chains until the 90s. Up until then, we had mostly national fast food or breakfast. I was thrilled that we got Taco Cabana at the time and Starbucks. Sadly, Taco Cabana quality really went down when Burger King bought them out. Thank you for starting this thread. CC thread sees little action, unfortunately.
You're welcome!! I do understand that there is little activity in the Corpus thread but at least it's better than nothing. That Sea Island was originally a Shoney's from 91-98. Sea Island opened the following year. Zuider Zee was before my time so I have no memories of it but from what I've seen in the Caller Times archives on newspapers.com, it didn't last very long.

Old 05-19-2020, 02:57 PM

Does anyone have any information on these restaurants?

Burger King on South Staples (where Arby's is now)

Dairy Queen in Flour Bluff (when it opened and closed)

Dobbs House on Staples (across from Whataburger's old headquarters)

Dunkin Donuts on Ayers (opened in 69 but don't know when it closed)

Grandy's on Ayers

All Hardee's locations in Corpus (already have 3 so far but there might be more)

Red Line Burgers

Roy Rogers (was in a shopping center across from Parkdale Plaza)

Sambo's on Leopard

Sonic in Flour Bluff that was in The Legend Of Billie Jean

All Shep's Little Chicken Shack's in the Coastal Bend area

Toddle House on South Staples

Schlotzsky's and Baskin Robbins in Gulfway Shopping Center

Steak And Ale: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_and_Ale (not related to Longhorn Steak and Ale on Alameda). Can't find any info on it other than it was located where Bed, Bath, And Beyond on SPID is now.

Godfathers Pizza in Pueblo Park Mall. (I was told it opened as a Mr Gatti's)

And when the first Whataburger location closed

Thank you

Last edited by tag2292; 05-19-2020 at 04:20 PM..

Old 05-22-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Does anyone have any information on these restaurants?

Burger King on South Staples (where Arby's is now)

Dairy Queen in Flour Bluff (when it opened and closed)

I wish that I knew. I remember that my Dad liked to stop here after we washed the truck at the nearby 25 cent wash to wash off the sand. The root beer tasted odd to me, but in a good way.

Dobbs House on Staples (across from Whataburger's old headquarters)

My mother has mentioned this place because our teenage neighbor worked there in the early 70s. She described it as located on S Alameda in the area where the Torch restaurant was. There used to be a Shep's Chicken Shack where the CVS drug store at the northwest corner of Everhart & Staples.

Dunkin Donuts on Ayers (opened in 69 but don't know when it closed)

Grandy's on Ayers

All Hardee's locations in Corpus (already have 3 so far but there might be more)

Red Line Burgers

Roy Rogers (was in a shopping center across from Parkdale Plaza)
[COLOR="YellowGreen"]
I have a very distant memory of this one. I thought that it was in the shopping center where the Whataburger headquarters is now.
[/color]

Sambo's on Leopard

Sonic in Flour Bluff that was in The Legend Of Billie Jean

All Shep's Little Chicken Shack's in the Coastal Bend area
This is an easier one for me because my Dad liked it so much. One at the northwest corner of Everhart & Staples, then became an Eligio's
One near the intersection of Kostoryz & Gollihar, which also became an Eligio's by the mid-80s.
One near the intersection of SPID & Airline next to the tamale place now.
One in 5 Points, i think,

Toddle House on South Staples

Schlotzsky's and Baskin Robbins in Gulfway Shopping Center

Steak And Ale: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_and_Ale (not related to Longhorn Steak and Ale on Alameda). Can't find any info on it other than it was located where Bed, Bath, And Beyond on SPID is now.

Is that the one that was called Bailiwicks? I knew someone that worked there in the early 80s, about 1982 or so.

Godfathers Pizza in Pueblo Park Mall. (I was told it opened as a Mr Gatti's)

And when the first Whataburger location closed

Thank you
Thanks for putting life into this sleepy forum.

Old 05-23-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
Thanks for putting life into this sleepy forum.
You're welcome. I already have the Alameda Dobbs House on my list but the one I'm referring to is the one here: https://www.newspapers.com/search/be...%2C+score+desc

I can't find any info on that Bailiwicks place you mentioned. Did it open after 1977? Because newspapers.com only has the Caller Times up to 1977.

The only Shep's Little Chicken Shack locations I can't seem to find are the Portland and Kingsville locations.

And speaking of Portland, there was supposedly a Mr Gatti's in Northshore Plaza but I don't know where it was located.

Last edited by tag2292; 05-23-2020 at 02:22 PM..

Old 05-24-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
You're welcome. I already have the Alameda Dobbs House on my list but the one I'm referring to is the one here: https://www.newspapers.com/search/be...%2C+score+desc

I can't find any info on that Bailiwicks place you mentioned. Did it open after 1977? Because newspapers.com only has the Caller Times up to 1977.

The only Shep's Little Chicken Shack locations I can't seem to find are the Portland and Kingsville locations.

And speaking of Portland, there was supposedly a Mr Gatti's in Northshore Plaza but I don't know where it was located.
I don't think that Bailiwicks was around that long. I first heard of it around 1982 as I mentioned. It was in front of where the Michaels is now right on the curb to the access road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or